• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nmcreynolds

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Does anyone have an idea where I can find Philip Savard's "Some Really Cool Things and Some Other Stuff".( I could have the name wrong of the book) I have gone down a rabbit hole because I recently bought wolfgangs book called basics plus.

It start with the post https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wolfgang+guggenberger&start=20

Thanks for the help!
prsavard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Send me an email: savardtrumpet@gmail.com

Nmcreynolds wrote:
Does anyone have an idea where I can find Philip Savard's "Some Really Cool Things and Some Other Stuff".( I could have the name wrong of the book) I have gone down a rabbit hole because I recently bought wolfgangs book called basics plus.

It start with the post https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wolfgang+guggenberger&start=20

Thanks for the help!
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Nmcreynolds wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Are you right? I can find book of Serge Savard but no books of Phillip
prsavard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Patrick Hasselbank wrote:
Nmcreynolds wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Are you right? I can find book of Serge Savard but no books of Phillip

Send me an email (savardtrumpet@gmail.com) if you are still interested and I can get you a copy.
Frank Bronte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Nmcreynolds wrote:

Thanks for the help!

My reluctance to write an essay derives from my belief that it takes a long time to complete. To have an essay written for me by a stranger throughout my undergraduate years, I began calling certain firms that provide essays for students like myself. The realization that I needed to change my conduct took me a long time. I began to purchase essays from firms that cater to students like me, and that's how it all began. As a result, essay service evaluations help me discover the top proofreading services to use and benefit from. It is with great confidence that I place my trust and faith in these true reviews. If you want to make a well-informed business choice, you need to extensively research the company's operations and activities, as well as its financial statistics.
dylanmanningke10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Oh, me too! I don't know what I would have done without these services. Since I started to work, I began to use them more often, as I have less time and energy to do my assignments properly. I use more editing services because I have to write many essays, and I use the one I have found after reading PaperTrue reviews indeed. I like that it works quickly as I always have short deadlines and I finish the essay very late.
prsavard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Looking for a book- by Philip Savard's Reply with quote

Hello Trumpet Herald community.

I have been asked to share information on my book, “Some Really, Really, Really Cool Bach Transcriptions and Some Other Stuff for Trumpet.” I wrote this book (with this goofy title and cover intended to get attention and inject a little humor) back in 2004. It was conceptualized in three sections: 24 Transcriptions from Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier; What I Learned from the Masters (a pedagogical text); a series of exercises and drills.
The Bach transcriptions are a way to present scale and arpeggios in an artful and engaging medium. I am captivated by Bach and find his music very satisfying. This material is a great way to build and expand one’s musical vocabulary.
The pedagogical text was me putting together Ideas and concepts I learned from a variety of masters with whom I have been fortunate to have studied. In addition I added some of my own research and ideas. The text was not meant to be a long dissertation but a very brief (20 pages) summary of concepts that would seem concise and accessible to the non-academic. Writing this also served the purpose of clarifying, organizing, and integrating these ideas for me.
The third part of the book has the following sections: Practice Checklist; Scale & Arpeggio Studies; Lip Slurs: Top Tone Supplement; Articulation Studies; Multiple Tonguing; Transposition. The scale studies are sort of a half way point between traditional scale practice and the Bach transcriptions. The top tone supplement is meant be used as preparatory exercises for players not yet with the skill set to work out of Walter Smith’s Top Tones book. The articulation studies were taken directly for Armando Ghitalla. I do not recall whether they were originally his or given to him from one of his teachers. The multiple tonguing section was a combination of approaches given to me by Adolph Herseth and Dr. Emerson Head. The clef transposition section had multiple sources. My first encounter to it was back in high school when I was studying with Steven Hendrickson. I have had experience with both the interval method and the clef method and personally feel the clef has an advantage over the interval. I do feel that this may become a lost art in 50 years or so as more music is transcribed for modern instruments.

Best Wishes,
Phil

The following is from the introduction to What I Learned from the Masters:

There is a famous statement that “Knowledge is power.” I would like to point out that this is incorrect or rather incomplete. A more accurate statement would be: Applied knowledge is power! This holds true not just for music but for life in general. Someone may know what they need to do to accomplish a goal or task, but lack the motivation or discipline to apply the knowledge they have acquired.
In music, the goal is to acquire skill, both technical and expressive. In all great art both of these components, technique and expression, must be present. Musical knowledge comes from several sources. These sources are the teacher and listening to great artists perform music. The application of this knowledge is in the form of playing experiences, both practice and performance. Practice is usually the bulk of the application process, especially in the less experienced player. The motivation for this practice comes from inspiration. This inspiration is the desire to create beauty and express a feeling or emotion through music. So it is expression that is both the end and the means. We can trace the process like this:

Expression --> Motivation --> Acquire knowledge --> Application (practice) --> Develop skill --> Use skill to express

From this, one can draw the conclusion that inspiration and motivation along with quality information and musical examples are essential ingredients in great teaching. This is confirmed by many great performers when they look back over their past instruction. All great teachers have these qualities.
In summary: Find inspiration; Seek out great musical examples and relevant knowledge; …and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: