• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best backpack cases?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Best backpack cases? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new bag that will have backpack straps and is a fabric case (I'm not sure what they are called, but the nylon ones that aren't hardcover, but are still durable). I would also like to be able to fit my mutes and other additional things, and if possible, my binder and sheet music in it as well. I am still in school, so having to carry my case and my backpack can be a bit of a pain, so if I get a case that would be able to hold both, that would be a lot better. I only have around a 3 inch binder, and that is for all of my classes, and can hold my sheet music in it as well. If there are any recommendations, that would be greatly appreciated.
rbtrpt

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aidan

I have an Altieri triple trumpet backpack bag which seems to be what you're describing.

Mine will hold a Bb, C, and piccolo, and there's plenty of room left for a LOT of mutes, music, laptops, and sammiches. It's very durable, lightweight, and is pretty easy to keep clean. I love mine and use it a lot.

The only downside: the padding is a bit on the lightweight side too. If you're careful with your horns, you should be fine, but it won't offer the same protection as a hard case.

Check 'em out!

Best
Rick Bogard
Univ of TX/Arlington
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking for years but always go back to my Fusion Urban triple. Holds everything, even a music stand, and is very robust and comfortable. Not small though.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a fusion single bag with the attachable mute bag. Convenient and pretty decent protection.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My overall favorite is a GIG Bag that I bought many years ago. It holds a single trumpet plus has a front pocket for smaller items and mouthpieces, and a large back pocket that can hold my mutes plus my iPad and a small foldable stand. This is the gig bag I use when traveling...it has been on 7 international mission trips with no issues. Fits great in the overhead bins.

Unfortunately, they are no longer making the GIG Bag product, so I'm reserving it for travel, and have purchased a ProTec PB-301 with the optional Backpack Strap that I use on a daily basis. This also holds a single trumpet, has internal mute and mouthpiece storage, and an external pocket that is big enough for 8.5"x11" sheet music...but not a stand.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came here to say Brass Bags have been pretty solid for years. They are a little slimmer profile than others, but I have to say that the Fusion Urban triple looks pretty amazing as well! The difference would be that the Fusion would hold everything you are asking for and more, but might be a little thicker and bulkier.

The Brass Bags are slimmer and you could put pretty much everything in, with the exception of the binder. One quick note - Brass Bags are slim enough to fit into every single airplane I've ever been on. Any time they look at me funny, I can confidently assure them that yes, it will fit. You can't go wrong with either, it would just be a matter of preference.

https://www.brassbags.co.uk
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been in touch with Wes Warren about a BrassBags bag for my (to be ordered) bass trumpet. Covid delayed everything but I am definitely interested in BrassBags.

Also used to have a GIG bag, but sold it because mine felt a little flimsy compared to the Fusion and I did not want my horns to get damaged.

Edit: the GIG bags exist to date, but have a different name: https://www.hieber-lindberg.de/Meggle-Musikalien-MK-Gig-Bag-Trompete-schwarz-rot-mk-Softcase-Rucksack-83801-15150.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYnOmvPn8AIVAu7mCh3Q4wQSEAQYAiABEgKYgvD_BwE
1977 Conn 6B
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

Also used to have a GIG bag, but sold it because mine felt a little flimsy compared to the Fusion and I did not want my horns to get damaged.

Edit: the GIG bags exist to date, but have a different name: https://www.hieber-lindberg.de/Meggle-Musikalien-MK-Gig-Bag-Trompete-schwarz-rot-mk-Softcase-Rucksack-83801-15150.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYnOmvPn8AIVAu7mCh3Q4wQSEAQYAiABEgKYgvD_BwE

Wow...I paid $59 for my Gig Bag back in the day, and it is still in great shape. I never had an issue with or concern about damage in my travels. The Fusion bags are well over $200. I'll keep my Gig Bag in good shape as long as I can.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in NYC I see everyone using those Gard backpack-style cases that Josh Landress sells. I don't own one, but I checked one out in person and it looks like a fabulous case.

https://www.jlandressbrass.com/shop/Cases.htm
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment on the Fusion triple bags. The triple bag IS fairly large, but yes it will hold all you (well, I) need. I use it for the Bach + the flugelhorn + everything you need for a soul/pop/rock gig: mutes, microphone, sound reflector, hat against the sun, music stand if needed, lots of music, of course all the oils and mouthpieces etc. It is comfy, works great, and gives you a lot of freedom in a 3.5 million city subway because you have free hands.

There is also a Fusion single trumpet bag I had for a short time but sold again because the rotary, for which it was intended, did not quite fit. Otherwise this would have been a super bag as well. Won’t hold a music stand, though.

Been thinking about the baritone bag for my (post Covid new) bass trumpet but I’ll save the money for the new horn first and then buy the bag

Someone mentioned the cost of the GIG bag vs. Fusion: I just thought if I am carrying around anything north of 3000 EUR around with me I may as well spend 150 or 170 EUR on the bag that suits me best and that I think will really protect the horns plus additional stuff. Nothing more annoying than having a horn damaged because the bag did not hold up.
1977 Conn 6B
topazann

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Torpedo Bag classic and it works extremely well.
That being said, Torpedo Bag makes some killer cases. Compact, tough and efficient. You can get accessory ad-ons that will handle a large music folder and just about all of your essential mutes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: