• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

graduate and doctoral teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: graduate and doctoral teachers Reply with quote

Question for DMA studies...
Who ranks as the most caring dedicated teacher.. dedicated artist and philosophical about music..

Just looking for opinions..

I have mine..wondering about everyone else...

Thanks
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Rommel (Indiana University).

He works tirelessly for his students and really cares. Incredible teacher, mentor, coach, and artist. One thing that always struck me was: if he has a gig that takes him out of town wednesday-sunday, he will teach his entire studio Monday and Tuesday even if that means 12 hour days. The generosity of his spirit and the attention he gives all of his students is pretty amazing. He changed my trumpet playing/music making.

World class.
jganger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for my experiences as a DMA student. Justin Emerich at Michigan State is fantastic and his students have been successful because of how much he cares and puts into them. I also did my MM with Joe Burgstaller who is an incredible teacher and human. He cares deeply for his students and also works tirelessly to help them succeed. There are a lot of teachers who care and will do anything for their students. So this is not an easy question to answer!
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
John Rommel (Indiana University).

He works tirelessly for his students and really cares. Incredible teacher, mentor, coach, and artist. One thing that always struck me was: if he has a gig that takes him out of town wednesday-sunday, he will teach his entire studio Monday and Tuesday even if that means 12 hour days. The generosity of his spirit and the attention he gives all of his students is pretty amazing. He changed my trumpet playing/music making.

World class.

That sounds amazing. It would be amazing to have a teacher like him.
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Everson definitely comes to mind - willing to share how his own career and playing developed, understands that development is not always linear or the same for everyone but still sets ambitious goals for students and coaches them through challenges.

I found in general teachers and performers are generous with their time where students have a commitment to music and want to work hard. My Northwestern audition started with an Honegger Intrada train wreck, and Barbara Butler pretty much gave me a free half hour lesson. She made some charitable comments about my sight reading too after I settled down and played better. I suspect the people who don't have the patience or interest to teach tend not to teach much if at all.
Petey

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jganger wrote:
I can only speak for my experiences as a DMA student. Justin Emerich at Michigan State is fantastic and his students have been successful because of how much he cares and puts into them. I also did my MM with Joe Burgstaller who is an incredible teacher and human. He cares deeply for his students and also works tirelessly to help them succeed. There are a lot of teachers who care and will do anything for their students. So this is not an easy question to answer!

I agree with this post.
Many wonderful testimonials on Emerich are being offered.

Burgstaller too who is at Arizona now.

Gekker is probably the best of all from what I can assess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: