• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure numbing agents

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Embouchure numbing agents Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Recently, I have seen a couple of videos that have displayed use of numbing agents in the mouth, to improve range. They have been using orajel, which contains benzocaine, which relieves pain and relaxes your muscles in your mouth. I was wondering if this actually works well, considering that benzocaine can cause methemoglobinemia, which can potentially kill you.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of any trumpet player using that as a performance enhancing drug, and I've been around a lot of really amazing, decent, and bad trumpet players. You probably want to be able to have feeling in your lips and mouth while playing trumpet.
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not the videos you are looking for… that’s pure quackery.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain is a sign of damage, would you take away the signs and risk even more serious damage? Forget that idea, build your range slowly with considered low impact practice. I like ascending arpeggios, Jon Faddis has put out a series.

Regards, Stuart.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. The dangers of Youtube where anyone can put up videos recommending you to do anything. Whoever these guys are, they undoubtedly could play high before and are just doing the orajel, BC powder, etc as a gimmick to get clicks. Might as well put the squeaker in the 3rd valve.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known other pros who have used products like these to help get through really brutal gigs, but they would not be using them in their every day practice just to increase their range and endurance.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think this poster is a prankster
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I have known other pros who have used products like these to help get through really brutal gigs, but they would not be using them in their every day practice just to increase their range and endurance.

THIS.. 99% of those that play trumpet never get to this point.. If you're touring/performing every night of the week, playing hard for 2-3 hours a night, there might be some odd things done to make it through BUT certainly not things for the 99% - or not as a regular practice.
One of my favorite quotes, "..beware of the masters tools.."
i.e. in golf - Tiger does this 5 minute drill to keep his timing throughout his swing.. this tool (drill) is used as part of his daily 3-6 hours of practice - A somewhat useless drill for the golfer until you're practicing 3-6 hours a day AND could be distracting or misleading if you're not.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misspelled dumbing.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
You misspelled dumbing.

Winner, post of the week. 😁

Regarding the OP: uh, no. One of the numb....I mean dumber things I’ve ever heard.

And I’m thinking Bill Bergren is probably correct.

Brad
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I'm beginning to think this poster is a prankster

I don't think its a prank. He is a high school kid with questions who probably stumbled across these videos while searching for information on how to improve his range (my guess anyways). I had seen some videos of this kind of thing by a guy (Blaise Bowman) who played in the marching band at University of Florida a couple of years ago.

The good thing about technology is that there is a lot of information available on the web for anyone who wants to seek it out. Unfortunately, unless you have experience, there no way to know which information is worth your time.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm
One of the most prominent players ever was said to have used cocaine between his lip and teeth. I never tried it, but I’ve seen it done a few times. I saw one player play so extra hard (sounded great in fact) that he couldn’t play for a couple days. Bruised chops. That was quite a long time ago now though
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember coming across a video somewhere talking about this. It was by a high school or college-age trumpet player, if I remember correctly.

Speaking as a physician, misusing any substance for performance-enhancement is a dangerous idea that will likely lead to negative consequences. Speaking as a trumpet player, using benzocaine is sure to change the sensation inside your mouth, but is unlikely to provide any benefit.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Hmmm
One of the most prominent players ever was said to have used cocaine between his lip and teeth. I never tried it, but I’ve seen it done a few times. I saw one player play so extra hard (sounded great in fact) that he couldn’t play for a couple days. Bruised chops. That was quite a long time ago now though
Yeah Freddie Hubbard did a lot of coke and his chops completely fell apart.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do all sorts of things to get through the gig but I'd like to think the idea of actually 'increasing range' by numbing the lips is too absurd for anyone to promote it seriously. (I realise that might be too optimistic!) Aidan, assuming you yourself aren't winding us all up, my advice is to consider whether bizarre trumpet advice on the internet could be a joke.

The lip numbing thing sounds like something from the website Scott Englebright used to run with a friend. Sadly the list of 'tips' doesn't seem to be online anywhere now but a few of their recordings are - here's one of the funniest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5ioAc_oY8

And here's Scott Englebright in 'real life': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAaU9aVzaK0

Mike
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best "numbing agent" is to have a few drinks and watch your range explode (or at least you'll think it does)
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
oxleyk wrote:
You misspelled dumbing.

Winner, post of the week. 😁

Regarding the OP: uh, no. One of the numb....I mean dumber things I’ve ever heard.

And I’m thinking Bill Bergren is probably correct.

Brad

I know I sound suspicious, but I honestly wondered if this is true. There is a post below that talks about the video I watched (one by Blaise Bowman) and I was not 100 percent sure if it waslegitimatee or not.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really do want to experiment with this idea, ice is a possibility. For me, anything cold numbs the lip muscles quickly, so I think it would be like trying to play after dental anesthesia.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheAidanAU"]
Brad361 wrote:
oxleyk wrote:
You misspelled dumbing.

I know I sound suspicious, but I honestly wondered if this is true. There is a post below that talks about the video I watched (one by Blaise Bowman) and I was not 100 percent sure if it waslegitimatee or not.

From the little I've seen of Blaise Bowman's stuff, I'd put it in a category where it's a waste of time even trying to work out how seriously he's intending his audience to take it.

Jon Ruff (RIP) made great videos which are all still available - I'd highly recommend his channel if you're looking for playing help on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/Rufftips

Mike
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
Thanks for this You tube tip.
Just watched the Upper register and what our mouth is doing video which was, I thought, excellent. About 2 months ago I bought David Hickman's Advanced Embouchure studies (also lip bending) but yet haven't got into them so I will start with these Jon Ruff's bending and G to E trills as an introduction. He's recommending a million and I have my mute and a 5 day cricket match just starting on the TV - all good to go!
cheers and thanks again
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: