• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First time in band since March 2020

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: First time in band since March 2020 Reply with quote

Finally!! Yesterday I finally was able to join a group of muscicians (8 persons)from our brassband. We were positioned about 2 meters apart, one player per part. Meaning I played the solo cornet part all by myself one hour and a half before the interlude.....Wow - after the first hymn which lasted for ever no pauses at all I was exhausted.....What a difference between sitting home practicing and playing in the band. Took me some time to catch up the "orchestral" feeling, being a part of something, synchronizing tempo etc etc. Besides that I had big problems hearing - turned out my Etymotics had dead batteries....of course 14 months had killed the unused batteries as well.
I have practiced almost every day throughout all these months - thinking that if I made a longer break the ascent would be too steep at my age. Wise thinking!
After the break we extended the group to 16 players, evenly placed and played another 60 minutes....speak about becoming tired...But it was so satisfying to be a part of the music again! Once again becoming 'consummed by the music - getting inside the "flow".

How about your experiences???
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will not have our first practice until early July, 1st performance mid-July. As of now they are requesting we use the masks with a flap over the lips and a 3-ply bell cover. That will make using a stand impossible, will need to hold the horn for the full session. Nothing has been posted about spacing. I'm not very excited about the masks, I've had my full (2) vaccine shots, but that's where other people's comfort is important I suppose. I'm just looking forward to playing again.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: First time in band since March 2020 Reply with quote

Hallellujah, folks and good for all of you. I bet it felt good to be exhausted, though, didn't it Seymor??
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had our first concert last night with the Lubbock Tx Westwinds Brass Band. Full instrumentation at the city park, all either vaccinated or recovered so no masks, great audience. Only 2 rehearsals, sorry.

You folks who do Facebook can find it there. I don't do Facebook, so don't know the link. Please ignore the Eb player, he was badly out of shape, in spite of trying to keep his chops throughout the lockdown.

Richard Tolley, my trumpet teacher at Texas Tech rolled out on his walker and Getzen Capri cornet did an admirable solo for our "Back in the Saddle Again" concert. He founded our group over 50 years back.

Six more concerts scheduled on Sundays through July. 11th.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every place is different, but in Texas (Houston), things are back to being open (infection rates locally are at all time lows), masks are no longer state mandated, and maybe 40% of people still (apparently) feel better with them and use them. My band has been back to work every single weekend since March, no masks, very few on patrons in the clubs or private parties.

I have not had the vaccine, I have no intentions of getting it, had covid in January.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: