• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

State of the rotary trumpet in 2021

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpt4him

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: State of the rotary trumpet in 2021 Reply with quote

I've been following discussions around rotary trumpets for a couple years now, and it seems like things change in the rotary trumpet space quite rapidly, as new makers emerge and more US-based players use rotaries as a primary instrument. As someone who is on the verge of being in the market for a top-shelf rotary, I wanted to get the latest scoop.

The last I heard, the big makers were Schagerl, Weimann, Thein, and a few others. I've seen other names, Amrein, Oberrauch, and of course the more time-tested names like Monke, Yamaha, etc.

Any comments are welcome, but I'm especially interested in those that have acquired an instrument from any of these makers or others I haven't heard of, in the last couple of years. What was your buying experience like, did you buy new or used, are $4k used and $5k new still the going rates for a quality instrument, and how does that rotary compare to any others you've tried?

Nick H

----------
Bach 37
Yamaha Xeno 8310Z Gen 1
Yamaha 9445CHS Gen 1
Bach 229G (soon to become a Melk Eb)
Larson Eb/D
Schilke E/F/G
Larson Bb/A picc
Yamaha 731 flugel, 2330 Cornet
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious...who are the US based players that play rotary as a primary instrument? I know of no one, other than maybe a few folks who play a Schagerl Ganschhorn, but I don't consider that a traditional rotary trumpet.

Quite honestly, the most popular brands in the world right now are Schagerl and Weimann. A lot more players in the US play Weimann than do in Europe. Either one is a good bet. Before making a decision, you need to try both, as they are different. I personally prefer Weimann (and my orchestra section all plays them). There are other fine makers as well.

The rates you suggest seem about right, give or take.

Good luck,
GR
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is my favorite rotary man: https://www.martin-schmidt-potsdam.de/

Tiny shop, excellent, no, EXCELLENT instruments. If I had the dough, I’d also have one of his piston horns and a flugelhorn. I play the eXcellence model, which is a lightweight horn with a Zirnbauer block. My other two favorites are the Weite Mensur Heavy (big powerful orchestral horn) and the lightweight Professional Line horn. All have excellent intonation and are the easiest playing horns I ever played. Great sound, too.

My eXcellence model perfectly fits our medium size community orchestra and I can cover everything from Abba over Piazzolla to Schostakovic and more with it. If I was to only have one horn it would be this one.

Martin Schmidt only has some general basic info on the website but if you tell him what you need he’ll take the model you think fits best and will modify it according to what you need and want.

Prices are just fine, check his online price list. As there seem to be far below 1000 instruments in existence (judging by the serial of my horn) they only very rarely show up on the used market. People seem to hang on to them - I have only seen a Bb and a C for sale over the last few years.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry

Last edited by Brassnose on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ancientram

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Rotaries Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I really like my Lechner Bb, C, and D. I play mostly church-- brass quartet and hymns. Also play in a small chamber orchestra-- 3d part on Bach. Folks who've heard them and sampled them like the sound and the way they play. Breslmair mouthpieces all the way.

Also have an older, German Galileo in C, with a Zirnbauer machine and a fairly wide kranz. It's my C back-up. It will really light up when pushed.

Just my two cents.
Steve
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OP may have misspoke and meant that more American players are regularly using rotors when the option presents itself (or when the MD forces you to).

I have a Schagerl, had the chance to play it back to back with a Weimann a friend of mine had and they both sounded good. The Weimann maybe fell in line with a more "American" concept of sound? Not the right words to describe it and I can't think of a better way, but it was a very good sound. Lively and balanced while still being round.

My Schagerl is a very heavy, deep sound. Mouthpiece choice helps to influence the coloring pretty well. My advice would be if/when you purchase a good rotor, for the love of all things, get a true honest rotor piece. a 1-1/2C 24/24 (or your preferred C cup orchestral piece) just doesn't sound right in it. I have a Breslmair G2 with a 1C rim and a Tilz 1-1/4 EB. After a couple years of playing it, I favor the Tilz because it gives a little more color without compromising the depth of sound.

Good luck!
trpt4him

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
I think OP may have misspoke and meant that more American players are regularly using rotors when the option presents itself (or when the MD forces you to).

Correct, "primary instrument" as in, A primary instrument and not THE primary instrument. The instrument of choice for certain rep.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Raya2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to have an idea of the sound that you want from the rotary. Do you want a heavy sound? On the lighter side? Bright? Dark? And for what setting you want it, chamber/solo/orchestra, etc, etc. Once you've decided that, try as many as you possibly can.

Not long ago I decided to buy a Weimann and I can't be any happier with it. I like the sound, the response, and how easy it is to play. As for the shopping experience: communication with Alexander Weitze was great and prompt, he was always helpful when choosing the instrument, shipping, and everything in between. So for me, it was a good buying experience from them.

I've also played a Monke and loved it as well, but for me, it was a bit on the darker side so I went for the Weimann instead.

Good luck!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on mouthpieces by AJCarter. I play Curry on my rotary and when I tested different horns, Martin Schmidt specifically commented on how good the MP matched the horn. I can make it sound almost like a flugel but I can also stand out and lead the orchestra. My piston MPs did really not work well, although they are good MPs in their own right: GR, JK, AR Resonance.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is helpful:

I went to the Schagerl factory to buy a C and ended up with both a C and Bb. Bought the C new -- raw brass $5k, Bb used -- Gold plate $3k (prominent player's horn that he gave back to Schagerl in exchange a new one -- too good a deal to pass up).

I knew nothing about rotary but luckily Florian Klingler was in the shop that day and he was gracious enough to play test some for me. Over the years, played more and more and started using Josef Klier pieces. They are still the best horns I own.

A friend of mine had a lot of rotaries he was trying and I've played a few. He owned a Weimann for a while and I just didn't get along with it. The sound and blow weren't what I was used to from Schagerl and I greatly preferred mine. He had some old Lechners that were particularly great.

The Yamaha's I've played were uninspired.

I've used my C rotary professionally more than my Eb, but still not that much. Bb hasn't ever been used professionally. Unless you're in the thick of gigging, IMO it's not a necessary purchase especially with the availability of mouthpieces that give you a "close enough" behind the screen. Super fun to play and I can't stand playing mozart, haydn, beethoven, et al., on anything else. Enjoy!
Master Jabroni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Pickett/ Blackburn is about to come out with a rotary. That could be really cool to have an American made rotary trumpet. I never cared for the Bach or Kanstul ones.

"I call it how I see it"
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Jabroni wrote:
I see that Pickett/ Blackburn is about to come out with a rotary. That could be really cool to have an American made rotary trumpet. I never cared for the Bach or Kanstul ones.

Oh really... where did you see/hear about that? You've piqued curiosity and I'd like to know more. Since Hetman made those very few rotors back in what.. the 1980's or 90's, not sure of any American manufacturer that hasn't already been mentioned doing it.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
Master Jabroni wrote:

Oh really... where did you see/hear about that? You've piqued curiosity and I'd like to know more. Since Hetman made those very few rotors back in what.. the 1980's or 90's, not sure of any American manufacturer that hasn't already been mentioned doing it.

They announced it over Instagram earlier today!

Wish they would make it at a price point the little people like myself could afford one, Lol
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
AJCarter wrote:
Master Jabroni wrote:

They announced it over Instagram earlier today!

Wish they would make it at a price point the little people like myself could afford one, Lol

Since they probably haven't been out on any show tables aside from maybe ITG, I'm guessing no one knows how it sounds/plays? If you're going to be spending big bucks, just get an authentic one used by the folks that are creating that sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: