• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shofar Returns!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Shofar Returns! Reply with quote

Back in about 2005, I started a brass group to augment our church worship band. I called it Shofar. That's why I chose the user name "shofarguy" when I joined Trumpet Herald. That was when I lived in my home town of Glendora, California. Our final appearance was 10 years ago, almost to the day. Harry Kim and his friend Dave Stout came to join us and made that last gig amazing!

A dark period for me and my family followed. We were forced to leave our home, our home town and home state. At our new church, here in the greater Phoenix Metro area, there has been just one opportunity to play my trumpet and that was for Christmas of 2011.

Now I have the opportunity to begin again. This time, I envision a group of brass musicians that prepare a repertoire of current worship song arrangements. I'd like to emulate Harry's Vine Street Horns, as far as voicings go, but I need to find other players who would commit to this as a ministry. Eventually, I'd like to be able to make guest appearances at various churches in and around Phoenix and add brass what they are already doing. I see Shofar 2.0 becoming a ministry to the whole area.

So, are there any of you out there in TH land that live in this area and would like to respond? I can tell you that it will take some work to get such a group going, but I have yearned to resurrect Shofar for ten years and I'm ready to go. Perhaps, you know other players who play trombone, saxophone or trumpet in this area and could put me in touch with them?

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks everyone!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: