• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cinderella Broadway C or Bb trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilian.welch3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Cinderella Broadway C or Bb trumpet? Reply with quote

What do the pros play this on? Playing it on Bb doesn’t feel or sound right. Thanks for the help!
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Cinderella Reply with quote

If you're referring to the Rogers & Hammerstein "Cinderella", I did a tour of it in 2003 and we used Bb trumpets but I could see using a C trumpet...
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the Nat'l Tour (one tpt only) a few years ago when it came to town and ended up using Bb and C. Some of the tunes definitely slotted better on C. The Tour had just been through LA, and I noticed C tpt markings on some of the numbers, which provided a little more encouragement to "cross that line." Some players get so defensive that "it was written for Bb tpt" and "we shouldn't use another pitched horn." (Actually, many musical theatre books just have "Trumpet" on them with no key designation; it's just common to have most all, but not all, printed in Bb.)

I like to refer to the section on the Trumpet in Strauss' Revision of the Berliioz Treatise on Instrumentation, where he writes to leave it up to the player to decide what pitched horn he should use (para.)...and also to Duke Ellington, who wrote, "If it sounds good, it is good!"

Oh, and at one point, the 1st keyboardist came over specifically to ask about the horns I was playing. She was also the asst. conductor. I told her that I was using C tpt on some of it, and she was puzzled as to why bother with all of the transposition?! (I didn't tell her that I had lots of Sachse, et al, training in college from orchestral teachers, and that transposition is just part of what we learn to do.) It was then that she confirmed that the LA player used C tpt on some of the numbers.

And on the picc sections, be sure to get the bell close to the microphone. The recording they sent with the advance books was of an excellent player, but you could not hear any of the picc tpt sections at all. Those sound technicians on the Nat'l Tours are great, but there's no way they will turn up the volume to capture your sound when your bell is suddenly an additional foot further from the mic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: