• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Donation horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Donation horns Reply with quote

What is the consensus regarding new student horns these days ? What are good ones and cost ? Can you buy a decent student trumpet for $2-300.00 now days ?

Just wondering. I donate Olds Ambassadors, but kids like shiny and finding them looking good is tough.

Thoughts ?

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the US market...the Yamaha YTR-2330 seems popular as a starter instrument in my area, though they're a bit above $300.

Have you ever considered (used) cornets? They might be easier to get shiny at a lower price?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Donation horns Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
What is the consensus regarding new student horns these days ? What are good ones and cost ? Can you buy a decent student trumpet for $2-300.00 now days ?

Just wondering. I donate Olds Ambassadors, but kids like shiny and finding them looking good is tough.

Thoughts ?

As far as a good, solid, new trumpet for a student starting out - after a few months on something disposable (used Mendini, JP, etc) - I lean toward JTR700, YTR2330 or TR300H2. Those however are $1300+.

You used to be able to buy new Allora AATR-125s for about $300-$350. By the time they went away, they were $650. Now Allora has launched all new models. These are too new to have a reputation yet, and while the 125 and even 101 tended to be surprisingly decent horns for kids, they also sold the Aere plastic trumpets that should run afoul of the FTC - and don't deserve to be called a "musical instrument". (I would say "defective toy"). So its a mixed bag with Allora brand, from much better than their peers to actually quite worse (who would have thought it possible?) depending on supplier. If these new horns are coming from VMI or a similar decent stencil house, they may be good (of course, they are also 150-250% of your target price). The 3 year warranty is encouraging, but its too soon to know for sure.

<$300 new? I see nothing worth $30.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: