• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

D above double C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I described was how I learned to slot the D above DHC. That the D was much closer to the DHC that I thought, so when I didn't try so hard and backed off a a little the D spoke. I didn't change any thing physically , what I did was change my thinking about where that note was.

So Jay, you talk about lip posture and fine tuning, but you didn't tell us what you did or how you fined your lip posture when you did slot that D above DHC.
I'm always interested in how others play in that range.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
... I didn't change any thing physically , what I did was change my thinking about where that note was.

So Jay, you talk about lip posture and fine tuning, but you didn't tell us what you did or how you fined your lip posture when you did slot that D above DHC.
I'm always interested in how others play in that range.

--------------------------------------
Yep, sometimes the 'thinking' about note placement unconsciously takes care of whatever physical adjustments are needed.

Regarding 'what I do' - my trumpet range was never solid above high-C, so I cannot give an answer, but I think your explanations can be very helpful.

For the last month I've been relearning French horn, and its acoustics and harmonics are very difficult to control - your concept of 'thinking about where that note was' is my primary goal. And also adapting to the pitch difference between trumpet and horn regarding the appearance of the written notes.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always preferred and profited by a physical approach to the upper register. Initially, back in my late teens and early twenties, I had read through a friends copy of the Steven-Costello Triple C Embouchure Technique. It is an amazing book. However, it soon became apparent to me that at least as the system was described, I couldn't play squeaky notes way above Double C. Nor could I move my jaw forward and play much at all.

Since then I have studied V hard trying to learn why I had this limitation. And this has largely been my main avocation in life. At least for the past 48 years or so.

However just because at that time (1974) that I couldn't adapt to the forward jaw positioning as described in S/C, I did near immediately notice an incredible improvement in my endurance, power, and volume while playing my regular, receded jaw chop setting. And that was a good thing at the time. Because I was playing six nights/week in a traveling band and prior to learning what Stevens called the Two Aperture Theory I had been really struggling.

In fact since that time I have found that most trumpet players do not adapt the Two Aperture Theory (TAT) to their playing and that this fault is responsible for most of the trumpet players' serious range issues. In my own case, and after seriously adopting the TAT my endurance increased to the point where I could play damn near all day long and up to F/High C throughout most of it!

Incidentally I did take seriously the OPs concerns about playing notes above Double C. This is because this very action is an essential part of learning the Stevens-Costello Embouchure technique. Its no joke folks! This stuff can really help many trumpet players. And in time I will show you what one of my students is doing. Prior to working with me on the Stevens System he had never played a note above High D before. AT least not one of any value.

However in just last Fridays lesson he was absolutely playing incredible high notes. It is such a pleasure to witness these things. Best regards all!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: