• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lOOKING FOR IMAGES OF ODD WRAP GETZEN FLUGEL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: lOOKING FOR IMAGES OF ODD WRAP GETZEN FLUGEL Reply with quote

I had an image of an Old Seldom seen Getzen Flugel it looked like a Getzen Cornet but almost but had a 6 1/2 inch bell and was in fact a Flugel. I wanted to save the image because I thought it was so cool and not at all like the current FLugel wrap in fashion. I am sure it had terrible intonation based on the design and the large bore trumpet/cornet valve assembly. If they could re-do it with what they know today about the critical dimensions and where they are it sure would be cool to have something that looked and handled physically more like a cornet or trumpet. I am not a huge fan of the wrap of Flugels and how you have to hold them. If the wrap style is not critical and I think Andy Taylor has shown wrap to be rather flexible it would be nice to have something like that design only re-imagined with today's knowledge base and profile details.

At any rate I would love to have a copy of the image I could save again if anyone has a link to it!

Thanks!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't mean the old Bach Flugel? That had a cornet wrap.

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke had the trumpet wrap....

---------------------------
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I do like the Bach odd wrap. Never played one or herd that style though. If they could make it play good I would would own one in a made minute. I am not a big flugel guy since I came back to the USA. I love the sound just have no invested in one. TO be honest even though I will likely end up with a perinet valve flugel I would prob. be more comfortable with a rotary since that is what I am most familiar with " Go beer tents go" lol....

I have to admit I hate the wrap in fashion now. I do not like how you have to hold them at all it is not a very comfortable position really!!!

Really their is no reason you need to stick with that wrap so long as each branch has the same dimensions in the same place and the bell profile remains unchanged you can wrap it any way you want with in reason and not have too much issue one way or the other. If Taylor can make a Bb trumpet like his Vulcan and his phatboy flugel then their is plenty of room for a tighter wrap with more ergonomic playing position and package.

A few years ago their was a Getzen Flugel that looked very cornet like it had the look of a Tone Balanced Cornet but the bell profile was all wrong and all te tubing was slightly larger and different looking. It was as odd looking as that Bach though. It was listed on Ebay I think improperly and had a 6.5 inch bell and it was the same bore size I think as the trumpets. I think it was 50 or 60-ish because it had the same valve assembly design as the Tone Balanced Deluxe with all the copper and nickel trim.....I have only ever seen it one time. I accidentally deleted a bunch of files. It looked like a Getzen Cornet on "STEROIDS". Unless Getzen made a Bass Bb Tone Ballanced Deluxe Cornet it was a Flugel.

In fact if you look at Taylor and CarolBrass's pocket trumpets their is no reason you could not do something similar not quite as extreme but similar to a FLugel if their was a demand for it.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played a Schilke flugel from that time frame either. I heard they where not so hot but again it is not the wrap rather it is the dimensions of the tubing. I do think a longer leadpipe run though on any instrument is always better then a shorter one in relationship to how soon it enters the valve assembly. I think rotary C,Bb,E etc.... trumpets should have their leadpipe on the other side of the valve assembly so they can be almost twice as long before entering the valve assembly.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was the Buescher True Tone that had a cornet wrap.

This is the best photo I can find of one. http://www.all-brass-instruments.com/brass-73007-Vintage-1938-Buescher-TrueTone-Flugelhorn-NORESERVE

The new Monette flugel has a trumpet wrap and in the videos I've seen it looks rather awkward to hold.

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

Here's a nice photo thanks to Google:

Of course, it's not a Getzen.

If it IS a Getzen, you're probably thinking of this:

It's not a flugel, it's just a marching french horn pitched in F/Eb.

Some relevant links regarding the above horns:

http://www.all-brass-instruments.com/brass-73007-Vintage-1938-Buescher-TrueTone-Flugelhorn-NORESERVE

http://www.all-brass-instruments.com/brass-73207-Getzen-Marching-French-Horn-Frumpet-F-Eb-NORESERVE
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same theme...my NY Bach model 158 flugelhorn. Later became the model 165 in Mt. Vernon and the model 182 in Elkhart.

Good luck finding info on the horn you are asking about.

Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long been intersted in this type of flugle. This seems such a better shape for brass band work where it's 'physical' for two hours at a time,...it must be MUCH nicer to hold....

..........However, Andy Taylor once made a 'cornet type flugle' before he started 'Taylor Trumpets' in Norwich. As I remember he called his operation 'Bellman Brass' or similar and I met him at a London music exhibition where all he had on the table was a trumpet and the cornet flugle. I asked him about it several years later and he told me that he considered there was no future in that design.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
oxleyk wrote:

Here's a nice photo thanks to Google:

WANT!!

(ahem)

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen makes a lot of "marching brass" - I suspect this may be what we're seeing here (at least in part).

Pat
Paul_Merrill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: The Getzen Fluget Reply with quote

I just purchased the instrument in question. It is a cornet body with a flugelhorn bell and factory-made by Getzen. There are no records of this horn so it is likely a pre-fire experiment.

I gave up trying to post an image on this site so here is the URL [/url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ONJcGqBv2ZNxfEAZm-tYBfP8AW6BAOLr/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Getzen Fluget
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not able to see the Buescher flug pic, but assume it was made after the 60's merger with Bach/Selmer, and followed the late Mt. Vernon/early Elkhart "cornet wrap" shown by Crazy Finn, but with a smaller diameter first branch. Bundy produced more of these in the 70's, and I have owned 4 over the years. To my less than discriminating palate, they played and felt very much like my '71 Getzen 4 valve flug, as did the older Mt. Vernon 158 I had a brief fling with about 20 years ago. All these have ML bore valvesets ( as does my friend's absurdly rare 1987 Monette flugelhorn i am presently holding for him) that seems to affect their overall "blow".

I have also seen the older Getzen large bell "flug-cornet", and it seems likely to me that it should play very much like the Martin Custom (or Magna, or Committee, or Imperial) that had 0.468" bores, and a much slower flair than other flugs. Playing that flugelhorn, to me, was like playing a soprano Bb mellophone!! That is just a guess, based on a 60 year compulsion to try everything that has a cup mouthpiece Bd 3 or more valves.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I was not able to see the Buescher flug pic, but assume it was made after the 60's merger with Bach/Selmer, and followed the late Mt. Vernon/early Elkhart "cornet wrap" shown by Crazy Finn, but with a smaller diameter first branch.

No, it was a Buescher original design, and predated it's acquisition by Selmer.

http://www.buescherloyalist.com/Buescher%20280%20Flugelhorn.html
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned a Donald E. Getzen Caravelle flugel It had the same wrap as the early Holton and Conns with a curved leadpipe.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Getzen Fluget Reply with quote

Paul_Merrill wrote:
I just purchased the instrument in question. It is a cornet body with a flugelhorn bell and factory-made by Getzen. There are no records of this horn so it is likely a pre-fire experiment.

I gave up trying to post an image on this site so here is the URL [/url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ONJcGqBv2ZNxfEAZm-tYBfP8AW6BAOLr/view?usp=sharing[/url]

That is a very interesting-looking horn. Hope you'll post a review after you play it.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Getzens showed on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Getzen-Fluget-Flugelhorn-Cornet-/203513517413?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: