• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery etude books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Mystery etude books Reply with quote

Hello fellow THers.
I was recently watching a fascinating interview with David Bilger, he mentioned a few etude books he uses in his teaching and how he has gone back to them himself during lockdown and still finds hard things in them. I hadn’t heard of either of them, potentially they’re just not as popular on this side of the pond or maybe they’ve just passed me by. Since I’m going on what he said aurally I’m struggling to find them and I’m CERTAIN I’m spelling them wrong but phonetically the two books are
1-Monjinati 12 studies
2- Buskay

As an aside what other etude books would you consider a must to any trumpeters library? I’d be interested in building my library!
Best wishes
Jim
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery etude books Reply with quote

thesplitmeister wrote:
Hello fellow THers.
I was recently watching a fascinating interview with David Bilger, he mentioned a few etude books he uses in his teaching and how he has gone back to them himself during lockdown and still finds hard things in them. I hadn’t heard of either of them, potentially they’re just not as popular on this side of the pond or maybe they’ve just passed me by. Since I’m going on what he said aurally I’m struggling to find them and I’m CERTAIN I’m spelling them wrong but phonetically the two books are
1-Monjinati 12 studies
2- Buskay

As an aside what other etude books would you consider a must to any trumpeters library? I’d be interested in building my library!
Best wishes
Jim

Longinotti - 12 studies in the classical and modern style
Bousquet - 36 celebrated etudes

In answer to your question, I kept coming back to Brandt Etudes.

But I ask the question, are etudes necessary? Why not play solos and excerpts after a selection of Arban studies to start the day?
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Thank you for your quick reply. You raise an interesting question about etudes and how necessary they are in practice. For me, I spend the vast majority of my practice on fundamentals and technique and often find myself struggling to find motivation to practice solo repertoire unless I have a specific audition or some work I need to prepare. This normally (in none Covid times) balances out as I’m gigging most days and so it kinda works. In this last year I’ve been craving the challenge of “music” not just fundamentals etc and I find etudes a great combination of difficulty and techy challenges as well as lifting my head up and thinking musically. Hard to put into words but maybe that makes sense. I like the Brandt, recently (inspired by Hakans amazing recordings on YouTube) I’ve revisited the Charlier book and I enjoy Gekker etudes but the more inspiration the merrier I say.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etudes are music.
Playing music is good.
Etudes are good.
kpw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Etudes are music.
Playing music is good.
Etudes are good.

This really resonates with me. Thanks for summing this up in such a tidy manner.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Etudes are music.
Playing music is good.
Etudes are good.

One of the reasons I asked the questions is that, when I was coaching with a principal trumpet in a major US orchestra, he was hesitant about playing etudes because he thought the musical level of a lot of etudes is pretty low. Therefore they are uninspiring to your musical imagination. It made me think.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

I would think that he might have been referring to beginner to intermediate etudes. My lessons with George Vosburgh mostly consisted of in-depth work on the Charlier 36 Studies. I think if you go to the videos Jim Wilt produced during the last year and a half, you'll find some of the most wonderful music-making around. Most of these were recordings of etudes. Any piece of music, with the correct focus, can be a study in musicality.

IMHO

Ben
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my teaching I aim to work on one or two larger pieces which are near the upper level of the student and will therefore be a slow burner in terms of time. These could take weeks or months to chip away at or master and therefore mental fatigue and lack of drive can risk kicking in. Therefore I like to set weekly etudes which are around 60-80% of the students ability level as short study challenges to keep up momentum while still working on music. As I mentioned before I’m not following my own advise with this so want to start adding etudes into my own weekly challenges as well as broadening my repertoire for teaching. When I was a student my teacher would make me sight transpose a Sasche study (nearly always this sounded terrible I’m sure) then set it for the week, the following week I’d perform it to him. He’s tweak anything that needed tweaking and talk music and sound not just meathead technique then we’d sight read another for the next week. All this while working on bigger rep and excerpts. It’s something I want to return to in my practice.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery etude books Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
thesplitmeister wrote:

1-Monjinati 12 studies
2- Buskay

Best wishes
Jim

Longinotti - 12 studies in the classical and modern style
Bousquet - 36 celebrated etudes

In answer to your question, I kept coming back to Brandt Etudes.

But I ask the question, are etudes necessary? Why not play solos and excerpts after a selection of Arban studies to start the day?

https://petruccimusiclibrary.ca/linkhandler.php?path=/imglnks/caimg/0/0a/IMSLP634002-PMLP1017218-longinotti_12_studies.pdf

https://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/4/45/IMSLP307980-PMLP498094-Bousquet-36_studies.pdf

Hope these help,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: