• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso's violin studies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Caruso's violin studies? Reply with quote

Probably lost to the mists of time - but does anyone know anything about what violin pedagogy Caruso was exposed to? (teachers, schools of teaching, maybe violin drills he incorporated in his own teaching)

I have a younger relation who just started violin lessons, and the teacher's drills and philosophy remind me a lot of Caruso. Strong emphasis on coordination and timing, especially an exercise that reminds me of the "developed scale". The teacher studied with Galamian, but if my timeline is right Galamian wasn't in New York yet during Caruso's early life.

I was curious if anyone's traced Caruso concepts back to violin pedagogy or if these are principles that have been discovered and applied independently on different instruments. (Noting Caruso himself did apply them on different instruments; I'm wondering what might be learned from other instruments' versions of Caruso - style approaches.)
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a student of Carmines in the 70's. I remember a husband and wife coming in for a lesson as I was finishing up. The wife was a violinist, I believe the husband was a trumpeter.
I would have stuck around to watch but had a train to catch, Would have been interesting to see what he had her working on.
Bardiel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go on this path, but my son, yes. We have a big family of violinists. His grandmother, my mother, was one of the Garmin students. She was talking about her teacher with such a passion. I want my son to be so passionate about his teacher and play the violin on big stages. At his school, the Caruso concepts are applied as well.
For this reason, we had to buy or at least rent another violin. A more performed one from https://www.stradviolin.com/rentals/ I have read so many reviews about these violins. Would guys recommend it too?
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for telling me about this learning approach. I really love the timing idea! I recently decided to take a violin lesson so I got on https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/ and found many teaching methods there. There I read examples of essays about the philosophy of music, about different methods. I would like to try everything and already play something very beautiful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: