• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A4 weirdness top of staff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Adams A4 weirdness top of staff Reply with quote

Hey,

wondering if anyone has had experience with strange or compressed slots at the top of the staff with an Adams A4 (or any other horn for that matter). Specifically D to F#. The F seems higher than I would expect, and indeed, to play in tune, I’ve needed to extend the first valve slide. The E and D both seem to have quite narrow slots and I struggle to get a tone that matches the resonance of the rest of the instrument’s range. I also struggle to jump into any of those notes from an interval greater than a third with any precision.

While I’ve assumed for months it’s something I’m doing wrong, i don’t have this issue on any of my other horns; likewise, while I usually play a Monette Resonance B2S3 Prana, I have the same issue with any of the other mouthpieces I’ve tried on the horn, ranging from ACB to Yamaha. The smaller throat/backbore mouthpieces do minimize the effect, but, aside from heading away from the sound profile I’m looking for, do not make it go away entirely.

Is this potentially a gap issue? (There are some notable slot “speed bumps”elsewhere in the horn involving the 1st valve, including low D, midstaff A, and C#). Something off elsewhere in the horn? I’ve tried a number of things, including Harrelson gap adjustments, which do have a positive effect in some ways, but are detrimental to the overall sound and playability of the horn.

This is the shepherd’s crook model, btw.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaking water key
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Leaking water key

I didn’t want to believe you, as that had been one of my early thought, and I had disassembled and cleaned the water key several times—but I just wrapped the whole assembly in Teflon tape and the problem disappeared. I guess it’s time to get that Saturn key I’ve always wanted.

You are my hero, and I will send you home roasted coffee by way of thanks if you pm me an address.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadHomreSure wrote:
lipshurt wrote:
Leaking water key

I didn’t want to believe you, as that had been one of my early thought, and I had disassembled and cleaned the water key several times—but I just wrapped the whole assembly in Teflon tape and the problem disappeared. I guess it’s time to get that Saturn key I’ve always wanted.

You are my hero, and I will send you home roasted coffee by way of thanks if you pm me an address.

Wow, great remote debugging effort. "That would never happen to me", I said, as I felt water dripping on my knee because the water key screw had worked itself loose.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought that it was a feature and not a bug
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it sounds like to me is a valve alignment issue. When one valve is not aligned on the down stroke, it can change the timbre of the notes that use that valve. The sound waves get disrupted as they pass over the step between the valve casing and piston ports.

Otherwise, it may be a buildup of sludge in the valve tubing, if you haven't cleaned the horn lately. Make sure you use a snake to brush and scrub the transfer tube between the valves, too. It takes some effort to get the snake through, but stuff builds up there, if you don't.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
What it sounds like to me is a valve alignment issue. When one valve is not aligned on the down stroke, it can change the timbre of the notes that use that valve. The sound waves get disrupted as they pass over the step between the valve casing and piston ports.

Otherwise, it may be a buildup of sludge in the valve tubing, if you haven't cleaned the horn lately. Make sure you use a snake to brush and scrub the transfer tube between the valves, too. It takes some effort to get the snake through, but stuff builds up there, if you don't.

Thanks for the thoughts, but I clean my horn a couple times a month, with Blow it through between, and just had a valve alignment in February. The water key/teflon tape wrap really did it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: