• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet case to carry the trumpet with the mpc in it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: trumpet case to carry the trumpet with the mpc in it Reply with quote

Hello,
I would like to know which trumpet cases are long enough to carry the trumpet with the mouthpiece in the receiver.

Thank you
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting request, why would you want to do that?

Fusion triple bags should work or other gibgbags, including trombone or baritone bags will fit a trumpet with mp.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use it with a threaded receiver/mouthpice and not having to remove it.
I am not interested in a trombone case or triple trumpet , just a "longer" trumpet case.
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the wrap of the horn. Which horn do you have?

FWIW, I tried my old Holton 48 and none of my cases works with a mouthpiece in. With the edwards X13 (which is unusually wide-wrap, ie short) I can fit it with mouthpiece into a TorpedoBag classic and a Marcus Bonna triple (but not the compact triple!). Note that the TorpedoBag has the horn essentially resting on the front of the horn, so all the weight would be on the mouthpiece, which seems bad even with an integral mouthpiece. Super safe bag except for maybe your scenario.

I’d think the Adams gig bags would work. They ship the A8 in those I’m pretty sure. I had one for a while, they’re medium-sturdy—not a hard case but pretty solid.

If I were you I’d call up a reputable shop and/or visit and try out a few. ACB has a lot of unusual used cases and they took the time to try out their copies of my horns in some of them to tell me that no, I shouldn’t buy the case I was thinking of. Very solid citizens.

J
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me that says, "bad idea" all over it. That's just my opinion though, and we know what they say about opinions.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is using a threaded mouthpiece, so there's no risk of it falling out in transit and damaging his horn.

Monette cases are made to accommodate the threaded mouthpieces on their horns. Those cases are hard to find second-hand, but if you look around for a while, you'll be able to find one (check Thompson Music). Monette's cases are super heavy and very bulky.

The Adams/Gard bag can fit a standard-shaped trumpet with mouthpiece attached, but the mouthpiece will stick out beyond the internal foam cushion (the case will zip shut over the mouthpiece, but the only protection will be the half-inch of foam on the underside of the zipper), so your mouthpiece and horn will be at a higher risk of damage. I assume if they ship the A8 in those cases that the geometry of that horn allows it to fit in the case.

You could check with Torpedo Bags and see if they can make you a custom case that is 3-4" longer than normal to accommodate your horn. That way the mouthpiece wouldn't be touching the bottom of the case, and the horn would be "suspended" in foam just like a normal trumpet.

You could look at a Pelican case, but those are also bulky and heavy, and instantly tell people that you're carrying valuables.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
OP is using a threaded mouthpiece, so there's no risk of it falling out in transit and damaging his horn.

I'm aware of what he's using - I still think it's not a great idea. Most cases are not made to accommodate it, and gig bags leave it open to getting hit in the wrong way and bent.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
To me that says, "bad idea" all over it. That's just my opinion though, and we know what they say about opinions.

trickg wrote:
I'm aware of what he's using - I still think it's not a great idea. Most cases are not made to accommodate it, and gig bags leave it open to getting hit in the wrong way and bent.

I agree. The issue is not the mouthpiece coming loose, in this case. It's that the mouthpiece sticks out a lot further from the rest of the horn.

I've seen enough lazy band students or ones with stuck mouthpieces that have .... problems because they walk around with the mouthpiece in the horn.

I've seen a lot of cases over the years. I've never seen a case designed for having the mouthpiece attached.

Now, Monette used to make trumpets with integrated mouthpieces that were not removable. I don't know if they still do, and I'm not going to bother to check. So, I'm sure they must have had cases to accommodate such instruments. Of course, those instruments cost at quite a bit back in the day.

That's all I've got.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd just use an Ikea bag
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: