• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Back on Trumpet after 48 years.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Back on Trumpet after 48 years. Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new here and have just logged in for the first time. I live in NSW Australia. I'm coming back to Trumpet playing after 48 years. I'm now 76. During those' non-brass' playing years, I've been a woodwind player (Flute/Oboe/Clarinet)
However, I have no intention of getting back into Trumpet playing seriously. Just getting back on an instrument that is so familiar from many years ago.
Therefore, I had no intention of spending a serious amount of money on a 'top-notch' instrument. So, first off, I purchased the new HiTech pTrumpet. It plays rather well for a plastic instrument. Much to my surprise, I got back into it rather quickly. It's very light in weight.
Because of the success on that instrument, I've now purchased a Chinese stencil Trumpet that's sold by several music stores here in Australia. It is the Steinhoff Trumpet (Silver-plated). First off, I noticed how heavy it is. I'd forgotten how heavy a brass Trumpet is for its size.
Both the HiTech pTrumpet and the Steinhoff came with 7c mouthpieces. (Chinese 'knock-offs' not Vincent Bachs)
My preferred mouthpiece is a Vincent Bach 17c. Far more suitable for my thin lips. It's why I've been so successful on the Flute.
Anyway, once again Hi.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I'm also a comeback player, who picked up the trumpet about 10y ago after a 20y layoff.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I too am loving my comeback after about 30 years off. It will come back slower than you would like but slow and easy wins the race.

Heather.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"d enourage you to take some lessons. Find a teacher that understands your circumstances and is willing to meet with you for a half a dozen lessons or more.

First of all he/she will check out you gear to see if it's reasonable. Trumpet can be seriously frustrating, and all though many of these inexpensive "trumpets/mouhtpieces" look good they range from ok to not playable.

Secondly, can get you straight on a productive approach.. your comment about a mouthpiece size and your thin lips.. is inaccurate and tells me that you have some misunderstandings about brass playing. (lip fullness does not have a direct relationship to mouthpiece size)

Thirdly, your experience with other instruments will both be an advantage and a hindrance to playing the trumpet and advancing without developing a collection of bad habits..

Trumpet is not a pedestrian instrument, it demands constant attention.

Welcome back and good luck.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important to understand what your goals are too. If you come back to the horn but you don't get involved musically in something - it can be a simple as a community band or a small church orchestra - it's going to be hard to continue to have the motivation to practice without some goals in mind.

I wish you the best - it's going to be a slow comeback, but it can definitely be rewarding.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Back after 48 years. Reply with quote

Hi Zaderis. Thank you for your response.
First off, I certainly don't need lessons. I even surprised myself, how quickly I got back into the 'grove' of Trumpet playing after all those years. Within a fortnight I was back in form. Even the fingering, including the alternative harmonic fingerings , came back to me with no problems.
Your comment "- your comment about a mouthpiece size and your thin lips.. is inaccurate and tells me that you have some misunderstandings about brass playing. (lip fullness does not have a direct relationship to mouthpiece size"
Vincent Bach would disagree with you there. Check out their comments concerning each of their mouthpiece types in their catalogue.
The Vincent Back 17C is the ideal mouthpiece for me. I get an excellent tone and a fairly easy range on it. From low F# (even an F) right up to A#/Bb.
Still working on the B to D though. I've already worked my way through the Rubank Advanced books 1 & 2.
Thoroughly enjoying getting familiar with an old friend again.

Last edited by Apollo Skyfacer on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trickg. Thank you for your comments. It's much appreciated.
I play in a local amateur theatre orchestra (Flute mostly) and also a chamber orchestra (Oboe). However, owing to the ongoing situation with the Corvid-19 pandemic, we are now in 'limbo' for the duration.
All I'm doing now is amusing myself getting familiar once again with an old friend (THe Bb Trumpet) and playing along with Minus One Cd's.
These CDs are the Guest Spot Play-along series. They are an excellent alternative to group sessions.
Rance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played in high school, put away the horn at 18 and never picked it up again until two years ago. I'm 74 now, so it's a lot like starting over. Taking lessons with a great instructor, so I feel like I'm making significant improvement. Hope I live long enough to get to be a decent player.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Skyfacer wrote:
Hi Trickg. Thank you for your comments. It's much appreciated.
I play in a local amateur theatre orchestra (Flute mostly) and also a chamber orchestra (Oboe). However, owing to the ongoing situation with the Corvid-19 pandemic, we are now in 'limbo' for the duration.
All I'm doing now is amusing myself getting familiar once again with an old friend (THe Bb Trumpet) and playing along with Minus One Cd's.
These CDs are the Guest Spot Play-along series. They are an excellent alternative to group sessions.

I do a lot of work of work with recordings as a means to rehearse without actually rehearsing - it's the next best thing IMO. I use it both as a drummer and a trumpet player.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back , Apollo. I came back in 2016 at the age of 79, after a 50+ year hiatus.

Yeah, I just turned 85 and there are plenty of challenges in trying to play the trumpet well at this age, but it is worth it. I play for a community band that hasn't done much playing since Covid, but things are starting up again and I am ready because I've been practicing for about an hour every morning, and playing songs for an hour every afternoon ever since I started playing again.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Welcome back , Apollo. I came back in 2016 at the age of 79, after a 50+ year hiatus.

Yeah, I just turned 85 and there are plenty of challenges in trying to play the trumpet well at this age, but it is worth it. I play for a community band that hasn't done much playing since Covid, but things are starting up again and I am ready because I've been practicing for about an hour every morning, and playing songs for an hour every afternoon ever since I started playing again.

Hi George B. Yes, it's a great pastime when you're in the occasional lockdown during these interesting times. I'm fortunate that I have a shed out back where I can practice with or without a practice mute. So far, my neighbors have not complained about the 'sounds'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: