• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Larger Rim CG Personal Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlakeD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Larger Rim CG Personal Help Reply with quote

Hi All - Long time lurker and former student of Jeff Purtle here.

I recently picked up my horn again after about 10 years as a hobby during COVID and starting practicing again. I don't really have anywhere to play these days but it's fun to come back to trumpet.

I have always liked the CG personal mouthpiece but the rim always felt too small for my lips.

Before my hiatus I had Mark Curry (http://currympc.com/) make me a special design that was the CG personal in all respects (including the backbore and throat) but extended the rim out to be the size of a Schilke 18.

This mouthpiece plays great for me, but I only have 1 of them and would like to have a backup. I can't seem to get in touch with Mark any longer to make a backup.

Does anyone know of someone who can help me make something to these specifications (or as close as possible)?

1. Schilke 18 Rim
2. "CG" Personal Cup - E.G. the "V" Cup
3. #20 Throat
4. "CG" Personal Backbore

Thanks!

Blake
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s problematic cuz if you keep the original depth, and make the diameter wider, you have effectively drastically changed the cup shape. So the V angle is now way different that the original. That shape is what makes the original work the way it does.

If you keep the shape, your cup will be deeper than the original. Keeping the shape (adding depth to do it) works for upsizing or downsizing up to a moderate amount, maybe .020 (two “sizes” in either direction, but I think you are doing more than that going to a schilke 18 diameter.

What you are doing could work of course, but it won’t sound or react like the original cup shape
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
BlakeD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
It’s problematic cuz if you keep the original depth, and make the diameter wider, you have effectively drastically changed the cup shape. So the V angle is now way different that the original. That shape is what makes the original work the way it does.

If you keep the shape, your cup will be deeper than the original. Keeping the shape (adding depth to do it) works for upsizing or downsizing up to a moderate amount, maybe .020 (two “sizes” in either direction, but I think you are doing more than that going to a schilke 18 diameter.

What you are doing could work of course, but it won’t sound or react like the original cup shape

Thanks for the response! It's true that this was somewhat of an experiment, but it ended up working for me. At the end of the day, it's a really big mouthpiece and deeper than the original for the reasons you described. The backbore and throat are the same as the original CG personal, so it's really a bigger/deeper cup.

Anyhow, just looking to see if I can find a way to create a duplicate/backup of it.

The rim is exact match for a normal Schilke 18. It's funny because if I try to play a Schilke 18 it seems really small, like a cheater mouthpiece compared to this one!

Thanks,

Blake
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blake!

You could contact Jim New and see if he can make you a CG Benge size 1. I have one of those in my collection here and it's a little bigger and has the same general shape to the rim. That might be easiest. It's hard to find one floating around used.

Another more expensive option is Bob Reeves to manually copy it. I thought about having that done to have things in his files for students but it's kind of expensive.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Jim New do some work like this for me and Marcieciwicz.
One thing no one really knows about is the CG throat is much shorter than a standard throat. This is important if you're trying to replicate the CG experience.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. If you're talking about the Kanstul CG Personal, then Jim New can absolutely make something like this work for you.

If you're talking about the Marcinkewicz mouthpiece, they can/will do it but they wont use the original blank or stamp it with "CG". It might play a bit different because of the blank but unless you get something significantly heavier, you'll probably not really notice a practical difference.

Jim New would be my go-to for any custom mouthpiece work. He's probably the most affordable in the business for custom work. Could be worth sending him and email.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note...

Does anyone know who might be able to convert a standard mouthpiece into a threaded top?

I'd like to do that with my Marcink CG. Blasphemy, I know! But the intonation goes a bit questionable (flat above the staff) when I use it on my C trumpet, so would be interested in having one I can plug a different backbore on for that purpose.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
Hey Blake!

You could contact Jim New and see if he can make you a CG Benge size 1. I have one of those in my collection here and it's a little bigger and has the same general shape to the rim. That might be easiest. It's hard to find one floating around used.

Another more expensive option is Bob Reeves to manually copy it. I thought about having that done to have things in his files for students but it's kind of expensive.

Jeff

Hey guys, if you can't locate one to copy, I may have one around here somewhere. I did at one point in time.

Just let me know if I need to search!

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i think Marcinkiewicz will keep the same CG blank and ingrave what you want if you ask them.
They made me many custom work, and are very nice & easy people.
best
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
On a similar note...

Does anyone know who might be able to convert a standard mouthpiece into a threaded top?

Doug has done several for me.

www.meeuwsenmouthpieces.com

Then of course there is Frost, Osmun, and others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: