• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Happy 94th to Doc Severinsen!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Happy 94th to Doc Severinsen! Reply with quote

This man is the Energizer Bunny of the trumpet.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess many people know that PBS did a documentary on the Doc that aired this past spring. He's living in Tennessee with Cathy Leach, the Professor Emerita of trumpet at the University of Tennessee. Evidently they live on a horse farm somewhere near Maryville, TN, but, even living in the area, I've never run into him. Maybe I should try to make that happen. He goes to a local gym...and evidently is quite fit.

A remarkable trumpet player, artist and man. Happy Birthday, Doc!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, happy birthday Doc. I hope he is still playing! The special on Doc, which by the way is not a PBS special but was produced by Roco films and just aired on PBS after making the festival circuit, is a great watch if you get the time. This link is to the description on Roco site.b
https://rocofilms.com/never_too_late/
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cgaiii,
I stand corrected on the genesis of the documentary...

I don't know if Doc is performing in public now or not. From the interview he gave in the spring it is clear that he plays every day and believes you have to give that jealous mistress, your trumpet, some attention every day. So he's at the gym three times a week and on the horn every day. A remarkable guy!

A look at Doc's website does not reveal any currently scheduled performances.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
joelf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All REET!!...
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing again at age 79 in 2016 after a 50+ year hiatus. Doc was my inspiration and continues to be an inspiration, because he is still playing and so am I at 85.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Doc's birthday Reply with quote

Perhaps it's indicative of the times (i.e. younger players) that so few posted birthday wishes to Doc. I've found at the ITG's I've displayed at, not many younger players remember the likes of Fats Navvaro, Charley Shavers, Harry James and now even Doc seems to be forgotten.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Doc's birthday Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Perhaps it's indicative of the times (i.e. younger players) that so few posted birthday wishes to Doc. I've found at the ITG's I've displayed at, not many younger players remember the likes of Fats Navvaro, Charley Shavers, Harry James and now even Doc seems to be forgotten.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

It's funny, I've never been a big fan of Doc or Harry James. Don't get me wrong, I've always known they were both MONSTER players, and I certainly watched Doc on the Tonight Show whenever they let the band play. Recently though, I've been going back and listening to a lot of Doc and Harry. And they're both still MONSTERS! I was flabbergasted to run into a recording of Doc's the other day where he's playing King Crimson with a brass ensemble.....WOW!
I think Tony may be right about younger players.....or, it could be that they haven't forgotten these guys, they just don't take the time to post.....I dunno.

I'm 63 and I toot a bit here and there, but I can't imagine, even at my age, traipsing around the country playing concert after concert. I'm sure it's fun, but it has to be wearing. Doc's a real iron man. Anybody know what he's up to recently?

keith
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Happy 94th, to Doc Severinsen Reply with quote

Something to add to Tony Scodwell and KHedger's addition to the topic. I tend to have a perspective on music and athletics the same way as I took part in both through my college years and after. I have always appreciated the history of music and sports, too as we ended up in a place that others built for us. Some people don't care enough about the history of music to care much who was John Philip Sousa, or Toscanini, or Leonard Bernstein or Copland for instance. It's more like "Oh yea, did they write that thing, ya know?" Not everyone, but many. In sports, many who are young don't think that anyone who played over 20 years ago could even attempt the game today. Like Tony Scodwell, I rue the day that this starts to happen as it filters into other aspects of life. The Harry James, Doc Severinsens and Uan Rasey's of music are real and they are legend. It is up to those of us who appreciate and benefitted from their contribution to pass a positive attitude on about this rich history. Thanks to both of you for what you said. I mean this of you, too, Mr. Scodwell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: