• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What Instrument Should I Double for Pit Ochestra Work?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
You might be able to find a used Holton Farkas or the next lower Holton in the $3000 range. An H179 or H379 would probably work. They are nickel silver and a little more open blowing and will help take the "trumpet" out of your sound.(I personally liked the old Conn 8D but good ones are now hard to find.) Then try several horn mouthpieces until you find one that brings out the low register. Your high register will be OK - low register is the weak spot for trumpet players. When you find one, have a custom mouthpiece made based on it with a trumpet rim or the Neill Sanders french horn rim. (Osmun does this.)The wider rim will decrease your flexibility reducing your tendency to splat notes all over the harmonic series. (Your lip trills and flexibility will suffer but it's a trade off.)

I played my Faxx Farkas mouthpiece with a beat up 8D and the lower register was rough. The music store has an intermediate Yamaha Horn that made for a much easier lower register with that same mouthpiece.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this in several college and regional theater shows. I've covered french horn part on french horn and on a low F trumpet. I played a couple of shows of Sweeney Todd once where I was the only trumpet and the only trombone so I had a big set up and played whichever horn seemed to have the most important part at the moment.
Bottom line - other than being able to post on a trumpet forum that you've done it, there's no real value in it.

As others said being really solid on Bb, C, picc, flugel, and cornet is the best thing to focus on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: