• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The all-new J. Landress Brass Trumpet! Check it out!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: The all-new J. Landress Brass Trumpet! Check it out! Reply with quote

Link

It’s good to have great friends in the business world and Josh Landress has always been there for ACB since we have opened our doors. He’s a trusted friend, someone I can bounce ideas off of, an amazing businessman, and incredible craftsman!

I have asked him for years (maybe a decade) to make me one of his custom trumpets… I first played one at the 2011 NAMM show (I think that was the year… I’m lucky to remember what I had for breakfast most days lately!) and was simply blown away by the ease of playing and incredible centering.

Fast forward a few years to the current 2020 pandemic and I twisted his arm to convince him to try to make a few more new instruments. I supplied him with these amazing Adams valve blocks these are from the A5 trumpet which I think is the best valve block Adams makes. Every other part of this trumpet was completely handmade by Josh.

I think this is quite possibly the easiest trumpet I have ever played. Smooth, rich, brilliant, fluid… it really has everything one could hope for!

My particular one has a lightweight bronze bell and also a bronze leadpipe. I think that really helps the overall performance and sound color palette which is immense!

There’s still a few of these trumpets available so you should definitely reach out to Josh and his amazing team at J Landress brass:

https://www.jlandressbrass.com/

Another quick shoutout to my brother Michael Barkley… all the trumpet clips on this video are 100% raw and un-edited. I am using (literally for the first time on any video) his Infinity G2 Microphone and it’s fantastic. I think we’ll be selling these soon but in the meantime order one today at:

http://www.barkleymic.com/

Y’all know my house rule for my personal collection… one horn in/ one horn out! So I have listed a bunch of amazing instruments for sale
at this link below:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/tacollection

(like this one: https://www.austincustombrass.biz/trents-briefcase-trumpet-yamaha-8310z-bobby-shew-gen-1-with-anvil-case/)

I can't wait to dig into this horn more and learn how to play it even more efficiently!

Best regards from KC and big big big thanks to Josh and his entire team!

-T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly played as always, and the horn looks and sounds pretty nice indeed. Gotta ask though, how do you pick and choose between them? Just about every other video it seems you find another keeper and with your 1-in-1-out rule it seems like you're making it exponentially tough on yourself.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Amazingly played as always, and the horn looks and sounds pretty nice indeed. Gotta ask though, how do you pick and choose between them? Just about every other video it seems you find another keeper and with your 1-in-1-out rule it seems like you're making it exponentially tough on yourself.

I have been upgrading my collection to
museum pieces basically or one-of-a-kind horns.... and horns that mean something to me (like my Coppernicus and A1 trumpets which I designed).

Best,
T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
I have been upgrading my collection to
museum pieces basically or one-of-a-kind horns.... and horns that mean something to me (like my Coppernicus and A1 trumpets which I designed).

I suppose that makes sense. I'm not sure I'd be able to let so many fabulous horns go if I were in your shoes . Which is why it's probably best if I stick to just watching your video's . Thanks again for sharing!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent, you sound absolutely fantastic! Great performance!

Did you have a chance to try both models of the JLB custom series? Is the tuning slide also made of bronze? When Josh says bronze, is that commercial bronze (aka red brass) or is is tin bronze?
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:

Did you have a chance to try both models of the JLB custom series? Is the tuning slide also made of bronze? When Josh says bronze, is that commercial bronze (aka red brass) or is is tin bronze?

No I asked for a sound and color spectrum and Josh chose this one (after a bunch of great NYC pros played it)... you'd have to ask Josh those other questions I don't know.

Here's a mixed video of the horn (sorry I can't embed YT vids in this group):

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRg_fg7HhhS/

=T

Cool Links here:
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:

Tin bronze not commercial, actual real bronze. The rest of the horn is yellow brass with the exception of the pinky hook on the leadpipe that is also bronze, the valve stems which are aluminum and the opal inlay on the finger buttons. I had brass stems but felt it made the valves too heavy.

Trent wanted a brighter horn to balance his darker natural sound.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent’s post started me thinking about old versus new horns and if I should try playing a more modern trumpet. I play mostly vintage trumpets and cornets. Even my newest trumpet is a Kanstul 1001 which is a Benge copy. My question is “would I really appreciate an ease in playing with a trumpet of modern design?”. Where I feel I most need help is high range slotting and efficiency. I am not a kid by far and play all sorts of music from concert band to jazz to polka.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
Trent’s post started me thinking about old versus new horns and if I should try playing a more modern trumpet. I play mostly vintage trumpets and cornets. Even my newest trumpet is a Kanstul 1001 which is a Benge copy. My question is “would I really appreciate an ease in playing with a trumpet of modern design?”. Where I feel I most need help is high range slotting and efficiency. I am not a kid by far and play all sorts of music from concert band to jazz to polka.
The only way you will answer that question is trying some modern trumpets out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: