• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Couesnon vs Yamaha 8310Z flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Couesnon vs Yamaha 8310Z flugelhorn Reply with quote

I'm thinking of replacing my Couesnon with a Yamaha 8310Z or 8310ZG flugelhorn.
Allegedly, the 8310Z flugel is based on Bobby Shew's old Couesnon but how different are they?
I suppose the Yamahas are far more consistent and superior in terms of playability and intonation but I'm mostly interested in how they sound and their tonal qualities.

Thus, has anybody played both flugelhorns and can share their personal experience?
How would you describe the differences in sound?
Which do you prefer and why?
Martin Committe Deluxe #3 - 1957
Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire Star - 1960s
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might get more attention if it was posted in the correct forum, Cornet/Flügelhorn.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are quite different. The Couenon is your classic small bore French flugelhorn sound, the 8310z has a trumpet quality to it a little brighter . I have a couesnon and wouldnt trade it. You cant go wrong either way. I'm a small group guy and love my Queny.
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 8310Z Flugelhorn design is in fact based on Bobby's 1959 Couesnon.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 70's Couesnon and also a 6310Z flugel (I tried the 8310Z, but felt it wasn't different enough to warrant a purchase of the newer horn). To me, they sound reasonably similar from a tonal perspective. But why not judge for yourself -- here's a YouTube video of Bobby Shew playing his Yamaha:

Link

What are your reasons for replacing your Couesnon? Have you considered buying the improved leadpipe for Couesnons that Charlie Melk sells? I have one, and it really improves playability aspects without negatively impacting the tone. Charlie also added a third valve slide trigger, which improves intonation on those 1-3 and 1-2-3 valve combinations.

I own quite a few flugels, and I'd suggest also trying the Olds L-12 (I have the Reynolds Emperor stencil with the yellow brass bell), the Kanstul Model 1025 "Chicago" flugel (I have the almost identical French Besson "Laureate" made by Kanstul), and the B&S Challenger II "Bronchon".

If you want to find out which ones have the sound you want, do searches on YouTube (in particular, the Horn Trader has a number of demo videos for flugels he had listed on his website, Trent Austin likewise).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: