• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jaw surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seantrumpet21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Jaw surgery Reply with quote

Hello All,

My orthodontist told me a month ago that I may need orthognathic (jaw) surgery to correct my underbite. I won't know for sure until I see an oral surgeon next month. Has anyone gone through the surgery and if so, what was it like? How much time off did you have to take before playing again? How long did it take to get back In shape? If needed, the surgery wouldn't happen until next summer at the earliest. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this surgery as part of some adult orthodontia decades ago. There was quite a bit of swelling for a day or two, and my jaw was wired shut for quite some time (several weeks?) during which I obviously couldn't play.

I don't want to scare you, but there is a chance of permanent nerve damage that can affect the feeling on one or both sides of your lower lip. When I was facing this surgery, I knew a woman who had jaw surgery to correct an overbite, and she said her entire lower lip was rendered numb following her surgery. I asked my oral surgeon about this, and he said that numbness is much more likely with overbite surgery because the jaw is moved outward, stretching the nerves. With underbite correction, nerve damage is much less likely. Nonetheless, after surgery I could tell that the left side of my lower lip was very numb. I complained to my surgeon, and he put me on megadoses of vitamin B for a while to help the nerve heal. Eventually, some feeling came back, but it still feels like I have a 30% deficit in sensation. What's more, if I play with the mouthpiece centered, working my embouchure makes the left side 'numb out' again temporarily. Fortunately, I can get by if I play to the right somewhat. Also, I am not a "pro".

If you are planning on being a professional brass player or you already are, EMPHASIZE this with your oral surgeon. In fact, if your surgeon asks you if you play professionally and you care about your ability to play, say "Yes" no matter what! Surgeons prioritize things differently if they think they may deprive a patient of their livelihood. In my case, my oral surgeon was one of the best in the city, but that meant that he was also a 'teaching physician'. I told him my trumpet playing was important to me but admitted that I was strictly an amateur. I still wonder whether he had used my surgery to train his advanced students, and whether he would have done things differently (with a better outcome) if he thought he would affect my ability to earn a living.

Also discuss this with your orthodontist and see if there are alternative ways to correct your underbite. In my case, my orthodontist said that as an alternative to surgery, he could extract one tooth in the front of my lower jaw and move the other teeth together so that they fit behind my upper teeth. If your profile is currently good (that is, your lower jaw doesn't look unusually long), you might consider this option.

Having said all that, it has been decades since I had my surgery, and these days oral surgeons may have developed new techniques to greatly reduce the risk of nerve damage.

I hope this helps.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your surgery goes perfectly with no numbness.
After his accident, Bud Herseth had numbness in his lower lip. It didn't prevent him from being the extraordinary player he was for another 50 years.

R. Tomasek
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud lost a couple of lower front teeth when his mouth hit the steering wheel, but I am not aware of any jaw surgery.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Bud lost a couple of lower front teeth when his mouth hit the steering wheel, but I am not aware of any jaw surgery.

From what I have read, Bud did not have jaw surgery, but the impact caused his front teeth to cut into his lip resulting in some nerve damage. However, it was not the same kind of profound damage to the inferior alveolar nerve that can occur when the jawbone is cut near its hinge point. I encourage the O.P. to keep that in mind.
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you the very best luck with this surgery.

All the best,

RC

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: jaw surgery Reply with quote

Sean, all our prayers and well wishes go with you to have a successful procedure done, so you can play the way you desire. Good Luck
seantrumpet21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the well wishes! If you know anyone who has gone through with the surgery, please let me know.
picctpt33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes for your surgery
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

I've had a student go through that plus a palate expander and his eye teeth being pulled down and moved pretty fast. It looked painful but the adjustment with his playing was literally no big deal.

Follow your oral surgeon especially if he asks you to use ice. I had four wisdom teeth removed and had ZERO swelling and only took one Lortab and only minimal Tylenol. I did 15 minutes on and 5 minutes off for 8 or 12 hours.

DO NOT play until the surgeon says it's ok. Ease back into playing with simple flexibility and scales with various articulation models. The angle of the horn will likely change and things like tonguing will feel different and be inaccurate for a couple weeks. Be patient! Give yourself other musical things to do like listening to various styles, ear training and learning things you normally don't have time for.

Have a speedy recovery and be smart.
Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seantrumpet21 wrote:
If you know anyone who has gone through with the surgery, please let me know.

I'm a bit confused; in my previous post (the second one in this thread), I told you that I went through with the surgery . . .

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be argumentative but how consequential is the underbite? I had my bite adjusted somewhat with around 2 years of Invisaligns. It brought my lower teeth a good bit forward.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Not to be argumentative but how consequential is the underbite? I had my bite adjusted somewhat with around 2 years of Invisaligns. It brought my lower teeth a good bit forward.

I suspect that if the OP's orthodontist said surgery might be necessary, the problem is a bit too severe to be addressed by Invisaligns. Also, if you needed your lower teeth to be brought forward, you had an overbite. The OP has an underbite. (If you knew the difference beforehand, please pardon the gratuitous explanation.)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: