• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on the Yamaha A/Bb/C pic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FritzSchnauzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Thoughts on the Yamaha A/Bb/C pic? Reply with quote

Thoughts on the Yamaha A/Bb/C pic? Especially the C side, maybe for Brandenburg 2.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Yamaha A/Bb/C pic? Reply with quote

FritzSchnauzer wrote:
Thoughts on the Yamaha A/Bb/C pic? Especially the C side, maybe for Brandenburg 2.

Last time I played the Brandenburg, it was on a Yamaha 9910 A/Bb/C piccolo, on the C side.

I asked Jens Lindemann, Matthias Höfs, and Reinhold Friedrich what they used, and all three replied with this trumpet.

Mine is great in C, good in Bb, and so-so in A. But I have a Kanstul 920 that is great in A, so-so in Bb, and I prefer it in A. I also have three Mahillons that work well in A, so I am set.

There aren't a lot of those Yamaha C piccolos out there, so finding one was a chore.

Hope this helps! Ask if I can answer additional questions.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that's the horn I saw Jens play the Brandenburg on at UCLA.

On his latest recording he posted that he used the 9910 for Brandenburg 2 and a 9820 for Brandenburg 5.

Here's his exact quote.
"Brandenburg 5 is piccolo trumpet instead of the flute solo. I used a special e flat mouthpiece for that and the Yamaha 9820 piccolo with a. host of alternate fingerings for the upper register. But again, the attempt to sound like a flute was the mission and it was accomplished.

Brandenburg 2 (BWV 1047R) has also never been commercially recorded with original instrumentation which is just the chamber soloists, basso continuo and harpsichord. The added ripiano violins were not part of the original manuscript so this version is amazingly transparent and true chamber music. This was played on my Yamaha 9910 gold plated C piccolo also with Peter Pickett custom mouthpiece. The challenge was to play as softly as other soloists and this was a dream for me ever since I heard Dave Hickman do it live when I was 18."
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: