• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recovery Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquidlyTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Recovery Help Reply with quote

Hello, I am a relatively new trumpet player (4-5 years exp.) and I am faced with a problem.
Shortly after summer break, a small acne bump appeared on my lip; said bump got infected and lasted for about 3-5 weeks. This bump, luckily, was right on the embouchure I play on. I let it play out (and tried to treat it). I attempted to play on it anyways 2 times during this period. Doing this always resulted in pain and bleeding from the lip. It wasn't until recently that I could play (even though some of the bump is still left; doesn't hurt, just a small bump on the lip). Then it hit me, the absence of practice for 3+ weeks have left me back at square one. My embouchure feels almost non-existent; every time I play, it feels as if it is slipping. My range is trash. And I get tired by playing for a short amount of time. This worries me as marching band season and school is going to start shortly. I feel as if I need to practice 2hrs a day, but I also feel as if that is going to hurt my playing too. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a fix? Any tips?

Thanks,
~SquidlyTrumpeter
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I were you, I'd see a doctor. I wonder if this bump is just the tail end of your sore, or perhaps some scar tissue or something else your doctor should treat.

I'd follow any doctor recommendations and also, if practice is advisable, practice as much as you can without overtiring yourself. These things happen and they are worrisome, but let's keep it in proportion. You play as much and as well as you can. If this freak injury keeps you out of marching band, your life will not end, it will be a disappointing inconvenience, nothing more. If you overdo, you run the risk of injuring yourself and having a lot more time off the horn.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an acne pimple/bump ON a lip seems unusual. Seeing a doctor (maybe a dermatologist) is a good idea, especially since a 'bump' is still present.
If seeing a doctor is not possible, then you might ask a pharmacist at local drug store - the 'consultation window'.

As for playing and band - there isn't any quick fix, it will take time to heal. You risk permanent injury (or extended healing time) by trying to play too soon.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not have a basic fundamental routine then find or create one that you play every day. There are no magic notes or routines, however, your routine needs to hit each of the different fundamental areas to keep your playing balanced.

The routine would look something like this:

https://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/21407028/20_minute_routine_revised_june_2013.pdf

or this

https://www.lonokeschools.org/cms/lib/AR01001483/Centricity/Domain/95/Trumpet%20Warmup.pdf

You can get a newer version here:

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/free-sheet-music-for-trumpet

Ensure that you are resting enough during your practice sessions. After you play an exercise (6 to 9 bars), remove the horn from you lips and rest for approximately the same amount of time. A good way to do this is to find a practice partner and take turns playing the exercises.

After 20-30 minutes of playing take a break. Your goal should be to keep you lips as fresh as possible while practicing. Rest before you get worn out, not when you get worn out.

Rest for an hour or so and play for another half hour or so using the same techniques described above. Resist the urge to play through fatigue.

Some method books you should check out:
Embouchure Builder by Lowell Little
Irons 27 Groups of Exercises
Clarke Technical Studies

A free version of Clarke (and others) can be had here:

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/the-pops-mclaughlin-trumpet-foundation-page/

A trumpet player named Billy Bergren is hosting a free Zoom practice session of the Adam Routine at 0700 Saturday. The link is in a post in the Bill Adam section of this site. It would be a great opportunity to trade off with him. If you contact him he will send you a PDF of the routine he uses. The Zoom session lasts for an hour or so which means you will only play for approximately a half hour.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
SquidlyTrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the tips. If the residual bump lasts for much longer, I will go get it checked out. Right now, all appointments are booked up for the next few weeks so I will check on the bump later. In the mean time, I am going to practice as much as I safely can and I will take this marching season easy up until I regain my abilities.

~Thanks for all of the tips
-SquidlyTrumpeter
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I had pretty bad acne in high school and far too often had breakouts right on my lip where the mouthpiece rests. I never had any persistent problem because of it.

I'd advise not stressing about feeling like you're starting over. I've done that more times than I can count. It usually comes back fairly quickly, faster if you're patient and not force things.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: