• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chronically Sticking Second Valve

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be worth looking at the slide grease. The 2nd valve slide isn't very long, so thinner greases applied there can run into the valve casing and slow it down.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not say that this is a cure-all valve oil, and I don’t use it on every horn I own, but Tech-Oil has seemed to remedy similar issues for me, and this is after doing most all of the things the OP tried.

http://www.brauninnovations.com/lubricant-oil

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tech+oil+trumpet&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
LowNoteSavant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly did he do to lap the valve? Removing metal is a no...only time a valve ought to be lapped is at the factory to make the tolerance of the valve body/pistons more accurate.

Look at getting a competent tech. No freaking tech should be polishing and removing any damn metal unless they have a machinist shop and skill to do so.

Most likely it was a problem with the stem and valve guides/spring.

I don't mean to sound like an irate maniac, but I'm tired of folks getting the run around from "the tech"

If the valve is sticking it's most likely the spring isn't returning properly. Stems are usually soft aluminum alloy...As somebody else mentioned stems, check the stems you can easily swap them from valves...Let us know, also maybe swap springs from one piston to another and stem.

It's got to be more simple.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son had the 2nd slide bumped deforming the cylinder and after the tech straightened it out minor lapping was needed. Good techs lapp valves and know when to do it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: