• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Picked up a 'vintage' Melody Maker Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Picked up a 'vintage' Melody Maker Trumpet Reply with quote

I am actually new to playing the cornet but wanted to nose around a trumpet too. I found this old Melody Maker at a cheap price. It has a few dents and I was interested in learning how to restore an old trumpet.

Main question..
How can i find out more about this trumpet and its age. There seems to be no information on 'Melody Maker' trumpets other than used listings.

I'm guessing it is probably not great quality, or its just old. Doesn't seem to be any leaking though and no rust. Impressed with the movement of the valves.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody Maker was a "house brand" of the London Selmer store in - uh - London.

https://reverb.com/news/selmer-the-london-music-shop-where-clapton-page-beck-and-more-bought-their-guitars

While they did sell originally sell Selmer saxophones they later became a big deal in guitar shops. For customers who wanted a more affordable sax or trumpet they contracted with an instrument manufacturer to stencil some as their "Melody Maker Foreign " brand.
Trumpjet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:

https://reverb.com/news/selmer-the-london-music-shop-where-clapton-page-beck-and-more-bought-their-guitars
For customers who wanted a more affordable sax or trumpet they contracted with an instrument manufacturer to stencil some as their "Melody Maker Foreign " brand.

Thanks Andy, That is very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: