• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards X-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's is great. I drove out there to try the x13. It didn't work for me but they were super nice there. Definitely worth the drive
Fusion2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to try out a X-13 yesterday at MMEA (Minneapolis) convention. I liked the horn a lot, the most comfortable horn I have ever held, they aren't kidding about how balanced it feels. Can anyone comment about how the rounded tuning slide affects the blow? I love the way the horn plays but it felt a little bit restrictive, especially in the upper register. If I could have a little bit less resistance I feel like the horn would be perfect.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone comment about how the rounded tuning slide affects the blow?

When I bought my X-13 it came with the x-bend tuning slide (only). The blow was quite open, and I initially found myself overshooting notes, particularly when switching from my C trumpet to the X-13. "Open" did not equate to sloppy or lose, though; just some overshooting that I quickly adjusted for. Really beautiful, resonant sound....

I believe that you can purchase a second tuning slide with the horn now that has a more traditional contour and a bit tighter blow. I have not played one with that slide so cannot comment on it.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the rounded slide when I got my X 13 two years ago. Because I do big band work, Jon at Edwards said the rounded crook would feel more like a "conventional" blow. It projects more and has a more pointed sound.
The first rehearsal I took it on I felt as if I'd played the horn forever, no struggling to adjust.

I've been playing the stock multi-angle crook for a while and it also projects like crazy, just with a slightly different scale.
https://yourbrass.com/
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A peer and I played these yesterday at TMEA. They are interesting and well made. Played over and responsive but we both felt it was good for smaller performance setting like a jazz combo or stuff. It was nimble and sound was a good sound but not really a large ensemble type horn. We tried it with the tuning slide harmonic screw things and it change the horns resistance. My peer felt it improve with the red brass while I felt the horn played better without. Everyone has a difference preference.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an X-13 from Tim’s Music in Sacramento. I bought the satin finish and they also have one in raw brass. Also tried the X-27 which is a pretty awesome more conventional trumpet with a great sound and lower price tag.
I love the X-13 because it has everything I like about a lightweight trumpet, it feels good and is nimble. But it also has some depth and character of a heavier horn. The response is awesome, fast sixteenth note runs fly out in a cornet-like manner. Very even response and sound. It’s a warm darker sounding horn but the quick response makes me feel it is versatile. Very beautiful craftsmanship.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone talk through how the X-13 compares to some of the popular brands (Adams, Monette, Yamaha, Bach, etc.)?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone talk through how the X-13 compares to some of the popular brands (Adams, Monette, Yamaha, Bach, etc.)?

I tried an X-13 at an ITG conference a few years ago, and wound up buying one. I tried many other horns at that conference -- Adams, Bach, Larson, Powell, Shires, Van Laar, Yamaha, probably others I cannot recall at the moment -- and some of them were really nice horns, but none played like an X-13. It has the "ring" and nimbleness of a lightweight horn, with the fullness of sound that you'd expect from a regular weight or heavy horn.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
A peer and I played these yesterday at TMEA. They are interesting and well made. Played over and responsive but we both felt it was good for smaller performance setting like a jazz combo or stuff. It was nimble and sound was a good sound but not really a large ensemble type horn. We tried it with the tuning slide harmonic screw things and it change the horns resistance. My peer felt it improve with the red brass while I felt the horn played better without. Everyone has a difference preference.

Yeah, the screw-in sound posts for the tuning slide are really interesting. The change not only the sound, but the attack for tongueing. The copper post has, for me, some positive qualities. The nickel post hasn't really done it for me. Again, subjective opinion.
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:

First, the X-13 is very very light in the hand, will be lighter weight than most trumpets you've experienced. But the sound will surprise you. With the (default) x-bend slide, it blows very open and is on the warm side relative to most. With the (extra) rounded slide, it feels more traditional to me.

I made some quick comparison recordings here last year, on a basic Shure mic with no sweeteners. Edwards X13 vs Bach Mt Vernon LB vs Selmer Concept TT. https://soundcloud.com/joe-hellerstein/dolphy-on-different-horns

A later/better recording with a ribbon mic is here -- captures the character of the horn better I think. https://soundcloud.com/joe-hellerstein/i-hope-she-is-awake

There's a used X-13 for sale on Facebook ... awesome deal.

Hope that helps.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback!
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:

1: I've never played an Adams.
2: It's a very different concept than most Monettes and has a different tone quality. Just feels way different than all the Monettes I have tried, not as heavy and more responsive to me. More lively and pops more. It actually played similar to the Monette Cornette that I tried at the Monette shop in Portland a year ago, however. That horn was interesting and I liked it more than all the other Monettes I have played. The X-13 has a pretty tapered lead pipe almost like a cornet. But it doesn't sound like a cornet.
3. Yamahas tend to be more traditional sounding and feeling than the X-13. I was playing a 8310z before I bought the X13 and the 8310 is definitely brighter, less stable, and more directional.
4. Bach also has a characteristic Bach sound, that the X13 certainly does not sound like. Also the X13 feels more comfortable in my hands than the traditional Bach and Yamaha models. It feels more balanced and more room for your hands. The X13 is a wider sound and less directional.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for input, Jaw04. Very helpful.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to play a silver plated X 13 today. Really liked it but find it quite pricey. In contrast to what some people wrote I found it rather warm sounding and not terribly bright. Easy upper register to high E, could quite easily squeeze up to high G, which is the top limit of my rehearsal room skills.

Great valves and very nice to hold. Nice lightweight horn, too. I liked the more regular tuning slide better, it made the high notes less slippery and I actually felt comfortable playing high and hitting those notes.

One thing that really struck me: I am not an aggressive player, so even my big band and rock playing is slightly on the quieter side BUT the X 13 sounded much less focused and less compact than my Bach 43GH. From what I had read I half expected the X 13 to “bite” if pushed. Didn’t really happen.

The Bach has this focus and core that I have never quite found in another horn so far - but then again, intonation on the Edwards really is SO much better.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brassnose"]Had a chance to play a silver plated X 13 today. Really liked

Last edited by Jaw04 on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a Bach so I don’t need another one I really like how the X 13 is different from my Bach but I have a luxury problem here: there are so many great trumpet builders in Germany that there is real competition - the Martin Schmidt or Martin Böhme horns, for example, do almost the same with a different building approach. So while I really like the X 13 there are other great horns within a day trip
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my second year with the X-13. At first i've used the trumpet most in small ensembles but recently i'm using the horn in a big band setting too (my previous "big band" horn was a modern Bach NY).
I have the satin lacquer one and i was wondering if the silver plated version or even the raw brass one has a more brilliant sound. I'm using the horn all stock, no alternative tuning slide no harmonic pillars (they didn't work for me i've found they kill the resonance of the horn).
Anyone that tried both silver and lacquer can share his thoughts?
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
I'm in my second year with the X-13. At first i've used the trumpet most in small ensembles but recently i'm using the horn in a big band setting too (my previous "big band" horn was a modern Bach NY).
I have the satin lacquer one and i was wondering if the silver plated version or even the raw brass one has a more brilliant sound. I'm using the horn all stock, no alternative tuning slide no harmonic pillars (they didn't work for me i've found they kill the resonance of the horn).
Anyone that tried both silver and lacquer can share his thoughts?

I'm having my X-13 lacquered, will share thoughts when that's done.
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m really intrigued by the X13. I love innovative designs and I play a Getzen Genesis that I think is phenomenal. The Genesis derives from an Edwards design, as I understand it. But in some recordings of the X13 I’ve heard, it sounds a little thin and tinny to my ears. The Paul Tynan album sounds this way to me, though I love his playing. I’m wondering if it’s due to use of thin gauge brass to make the horn light weight. I would be interested in hearing others’ thoughts on this. If I could find one in my area I would just try it and find out for myself, but sadly I can’t seem to find a store within reasonable driving distance that has one.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thin and tinny sound is more likely caused by the player or the microphone used on a recording. Light weight brass (according to Richard Smith) has no measurable effect on the tone of an instrument, although musicians were able to identify light vs standard bells in blindfold play tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: