• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Etude Videos

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Etude Videos Reply with quote

Hi All,

Over the past year I’ve recorded over 300 etude, duet, and multi-trumpet videos. The videos will continue at least through the end of this year and between Jim Wilt, Jack Burt and myself - we will have recorded nearly 1000 videos with very little overlap between us.

If you are so inclined to check out these etude videos, you’ll find them here: https://youtube.com/c/ChristopherSmithTrumpet or by searching for trombachris on Facebook or Instagram.

I’ve just finished recording all 24 Chumov Etudes which will begin being released in July. I’ve also recorded all 45 of Wurm’s Easy Etudes and all 25 of the Balasanyan Melodic Studies. You’ll find many Snedecor etudes, Blazhevich etudes, Boehme Studies, over 40 of the Bordogni Vocalises, several Brãnici Studies, more than 20 different Duhem etudes, several Vanettelbosch etudes, some Charlier etudes, and many more etudes on my YouTube channel.

I’ve also partnered with Tim Saeger where we have recorded all of Orlando Gibbons’ Duets for Viols. And we’ve partnered with trumpet players from across North America and Asia in an upcoming project of all 6 of Telemann’s 3 movement Canonic Duets to be released later this summer.

These etudes were all recorded without edits and as a reference of sorts for anyone who may decide to study these etudes. I do not claim that these are the ONLY way these etudes and studies must be played - rather as ONE way a professional might approach performing these in one full, un-edited take.

Please feel free to “like and follow” as there will be many more etudes and excerpts coming out through the end of the year.

I thank you in advance for taking a listen and good luck to all of you who decide to learn some of these fun, yet challenging etudes!

- Chris Smith
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/uVhXkgbSf_M

"SNEDECOR SUNDAYS" continue with "Lyrical Mahler" from The Lyrical Orchestral Trumpet - Original etudes based on standard lyrical excerpts by Phil Snedecor

These etudes based around orchestral excerpts are fantastic ways for us trumpet players to effectively train for when we would perform these orchestral pieces.

The normal one minute or less of the lyrical solo from Mahler's Fifth Symphony get expanded to well over FOUR minutes here!

A challenging but certainly worthwhile effort is needed to make every minute of this etude as lyrical as the regular excerpt.

These etudes have been a staple in my daily routine for the last decade and I encourage everyone to check out all of these etude books. They can be found here at http://www.pasmusic.com/PAS_Music/Etude_Books.html

Thank you for taking a listen and I’ll see you next week!

- Chris

Recorded in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/JEGx1yEGZa4

"SNEDECOR SUNDAYS" continue with Etude #6 from Low Etudes for Trumpet by Phil Snedecor

Much like being really good at playing high notes on the trumpet is a practiced skill - being really good at playing low notes on the trumpet is also a practiced skill.

Because of the positions I've held in orchestras over the last several years - I haven't had much time to get back to playing lots of low notes.

Now seemed like as good of time as any to get some good work in on the low register.

After spending several days recording these Low Etudes for Trumpet, I've realized that I shouldn't neglect this aspect of my playing as much as I have in the last few years. If I can make a really buzzy and focused sound below low C - the rest of my range above that just really opens up!

These etudes have been a staple in my daily routine for the last decade and I encourage everyone to check out all of these etude books. They can be found here at http://www.pasmusic.com/PAS_Music/Etude_Books.html

- Chris

Recorded in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in January 2021
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you posting your videos here. I have been a big fan of your work so I am glad it will get a broader audience.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, cgaiii. I appreciate you taking the time to follow along and comment here.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Good to see you posting your videos here. I have been a big fan of your work so I am glad it will get a broader audience.

Same here. Thanks so much.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: I Have A Request... Reply with quote

I guess it's ultimately up to you whether or not you do this one, but out of Snedecor Lyrical Etudes Volume 1... my favorite is Etude #3. It starts out with semi-fast articulation and then goes into a more standard "orchestral" melody for lack of a better word.

That's probably the most fun (in my opinion) of the Snedecor Lyrical Etudes. Of course, I play and practice in a 'commercial' style, so I don't play these Etudes in the same musical style as your videos.

By the way, a word on Snedecor Lyrical Etudes...

Even if someone is not an orchestral player: the Snedecor Lyrical Etudes are very fun and some of them can be slightly challenging depending on your playing level. They're great intermediate-level stuff regardless of what kind of player you are, be it orchestral, classical, jazz, commercial, I don't care if you're a DCI player. lol

Snedecor Lyrical Etudes are great. They're intended for orchestral playing, but you can play them in your own style (the style that you gig in or play in as a hobbyist), and they're great practice in general.

When I don't know what music to play, and when the basic Getchell book feels too braindead easy or boring, I like to break out the Snedecor stuff. I play them "wrong" in terms of style (not very orchestral-sounding), but correct in notation.

Anybody who wants nice intermediate etudes that aren't too easy, but aren't Charlier-level hard, Snedecor Lyrical Etudes are highly recommended![/b]

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brahms Etude #4

https://youtu.be/qkj6rm6wxVc

BRAHMS Etude #4 from 12 Etudes for Trumpet by Johannes Brahms

I recorded five of the 12 Studies for Trumpet by Johannes Brahms. Without fail, the most difficult thing with these is to figure out where to breathe!

The obvious choice would have been to record these on the German rotary valve trumpet, but I had not played my Bb trumpet in quite some time - so I decided to reacquaint myself with that instrument and record some of these studies.

Thank you for taking a listen and following along!

- Chris

Recorded in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in January 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/hrUSa_v9Y1Y

Etude #1 from 27 Melodious and Rhymical Exercises by J.L. Small

These 27 Melodious Etudes by J. L. Small have been a welcome find for me. I knew nothing about them before just a couple of months ago.

After playing through and recording several of these, I hope you’ll agree with me that these are worthwhile etudes to be familiar with!

If you’re interested, these can be purchased here: https://qpress.ca/product/27-melodious-rhythmical-exercises-for-trumpet-j-l-small-download-pdf/

Thanks for taking a listen and I hope you have a great weekend!

- Chris

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/hUyuThm9j4Y

“Sanyan Saturdays” - Balasanyan Saturdays, that is - continue with Etude #19 by S. Balasanyan from 25 Melodic Etudes

If you’re familiar with the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and wonder where to turn next - before moving on to much longer Boehme or Brandt Etudes - these Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes may be the right choice for you.

Longer than the Wurm 45 Easy Studies, but without the range needed for Boehme or Brandt etudes, these 25 Melodic Etudes by S. Balasanyan could be an invaluable tool for the progressing student (or even professional) looking to focus on just a couple of aspects of their playing - without the inherent complications of longer etudes to worry about.

These may be available for free online, but if you cannot find them free, you can purchase these here: https://qpress.ca/product/25-melodic-etudes-balasanyan/

I recorded all 25 Melodic Etudes - without edits - between March 12-16, 2021. I hope you enjoy this Balasanyan series as much as I enjoyed recording these previously unknown to me etudes!

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2021.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/yvyQ3LwbH_0

CHUMOV Etude #4 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #4 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one we’re looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and etudes written in all the different key signatures.

These etudes will challenge both the developing student along with seasoned professionals!

As we return to regular work weeks here in San Diego, and I need to re-familiarize with all of my trumpets, I made the decision to record all of these Chumov etudes on my Weimann Brass “Passion” Rotary C trumpet.

If you are interested, this book can be purchased here: https://qpress.ca/product/24-etudes-for-trumpet-chumov/

Thank you for taking the time to listen!

- Chris
Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in April 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/10Y5EAPmw8g

"SNEDECOR SUNDAYS" continue with Etude #8 from Low Etudes for Trumpet by Phil Snedecor

Much like being really good at playing high notes on the trumpet is a practiced skill - being really good at playing low notes on the trumpet is also a practiced skill.

Because of the positions I've held in orchestras over the last several years - I haven't had much time to get back to playing lots of low notes.

Now seemed like as good of time as any to get some good work in on the low register.

After spending several days recording these Low Etudes for Trumpet, I've realized that I shouldn't neglect this aspect of my playing as much as I have in the last few years. If I can make a really buzzy and focused sound below low C - the rest of my range above that just really opens up!

- Chris

Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/1I11ANdABfQ

“Sanyan Saturdays” - Balasanyan Saturdays, that is - continue with Etude #21 by S. Balasanyan from 25 Melodic Etudes

If you’re familiar with the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and wonder where to turn next - before moving on to much longer Boehme or Brandt Etudes - these Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes may be the right choice for you.

Longer than the Wurm 45 Easy Studies, but without the range needed for Boehme or Brandt etudes, these 25 Melodic Etudes by S. Balasanyan could be an invaluable tool for the progressing student (or even professional) looking to focus on just a couple of aspects of their playing - without the inherent complications of longer etudes to worry about.

These may be available for free online, but if you cannot find them free, you can purchase these here: https://qpress.ca/product/25-melodic-etudes-balasanyan/

I recorded all 25 Melodic Etudes - without edits - between March 12-16, 2021. I hope you enjoy this Balasanyan series as much as I enjoyed recording these previously unknown to me etudes!

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the pandemic in March 2021.
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Buzzed wrote:
https://youtu.be/10Y5EAPmw8g

"SNEDECOR SUNDAYS" continue with Etude #8 from Low Etudes for Trumpet by Phil Snedecor

- Chris

Just wanted to upvote the idea of 'Snedecor Sundays". Those are my absolute favorite etudes for so many reasons I couldn't begin to describe them all (too long of a post)!

Mainly, though, Snedecor Etudes are just amazing intermediate-level practice material. They're very useful for me. I start playing them if I'm wondering what I should work on. Then, I get carried away because they're so melodic and just technical enough to keep me very engaged!

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/2tsfdZ43M4c

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #6 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one were looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and with etudes written in all the different key signatures.

These etudes will challenge both the developing student along with seasoned professionals!

As we return to regular work weeks here in San Diego, and I need to re-familiarize with all of my trumpets, I made the decision to record all of these Chumov etudes on my @Weimann Brass “Passion” Rotary C trumpet.

If you are interested, this book can be purchased here: https://qpress.ca/product/24-etudes-for-trumpet-chumov/

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/5iWcIF1PARw

“BUMP-DAY BORDOGNI” continue with Vocalise #2 from 24 Nouvelles Vocalises vol. 3 Arr. M. Tezak
What better way to focus on singing through our instruments than to play music actually written for singers?!
These later Vocalises by Marco Bordogni challenge us brass players to play for an extended period of time without taking the instrument off of our faces. I find these to be a great way to increase endurance and stamina - especially if played at comfortably loud dynamic levels - like an opera singer in a large concert hall!
A quick search online and you’ll find multiple places where you can purchase these books.
Thank you for taking a listen and I hope you enjoy these Vocalises by Marco Bordogni!
- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/OtZ9v-ZwqS8

J.L. Small Etude #2

These 27 Melodious Etudes by J. L. Small have been a welcome find for me. I knew nothing about them before just a couple of months ago.

After playing through and recording several of these, I hope you’ll agree with me that these are worthwhile etudes to be familiar with!

If you’re interested, these can be purchased here: https://qpress.ca/product/27-melodious-rhythmical-exercises-for-trumpet-j-l-small-download-pdf/

Thanks for taking a listen and I hope you have a great weekend!

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/xtlJCCOqX0Y

“Sanyan Saturdays” - Balasanyan Saturdays, that is - continues with Etude #22 from 25 Melodic Etudes.

These may be available for free online, but if you cannot find them free, you can purchase these here: https://qpress.ca/product/25-melodic-...

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/wsgjRRju_5I

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #7 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one were looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and with etudes written in all the different key signatures.

As we return to regular work weeks here in San Diego, and I need to re-familiarize with all of my trumpets, I made the decision to record all of these Chumov etudes on my @Weimann Brass “Passion” Rotary C trumpet.

- Chris

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth in San Diego, CA
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/xydpM6Zxesg

“BUMP-DAY BORDOGNI” ends (for now) with Vocalise #6 from 24 Nouvelles Vocalises vol. 3 Arr. M. Tezak

What better way to focus on singing through our instruments than to play music actually written for singers?!

These later Vocalises by Marco Bordogni challenge us brass players to play for an extended period of time without taking the instrument off of our faces. I find these to be a great way to increase endurance and stamina - especially if played at comfortably loud dynamic levels - like an opera singer in a large concert hall!

A quick search online and you’ll find multiple places where you can purchase these books.

Thank you for taking a listen and I hope you enjoy these Vocalises by Marco Bordogni!

- Chris

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth in San Diego, CA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: