• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on c trumpets with small bores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Thoughts on c trumpets with small bores Reply with quote

I've recently got a brand new c horn and the bore size is .450. I play in my cities orchestra and the horn sounds great, But the blow of the horn is starting to get to me. In some circumstances I have to play at extremely loud volumes and I feel that the horn is holding me back especially in the upper register, I can play high but not loud. The bore size is smaller than my bb horn and is equal to my piccolo (I know you can’t actually compare them since they are different horns but you get the idea, hopefully)Just to test this, I played the same loud excerpt on my bb and my buddy's c larger bored horn, and it worked out easily. So my question is, should I get a new horn with a bigger bore? Also, I use a stock Bach 5C mp, should I get some orchestral customizations?

Last edited by Trumptrevol on Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the brand of C trumpet with the .450 bore that you are playing?
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bore size is only a small piece of the trumpet equation.
You can't compare yours to a Bb and another C based solely on bore unless all other factors are the same.
There are too many other parts of a trumpet that are more critical to the blow and feel of the horn than the bore is.
If your trumpet feels tight, I suggest looking in to different backbores if your mouthpiece allows it. Mouthpiece balance has a massive effect in the way an instrument plays.
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it’s either a C4 or a C6, right?
Those should play pretty normal, meaning getting the feel you want is a matter of mouthpiece throat/cup volume/backbore/total length/mass that matches what you want from the horn.

Those are nice good horns.

Start with a mouthpiece like yours but a bigger throat.

Next try a bigger backbore and throat

Then maybe a shorter backbore but that is more involved to a certain amount

Then maybe heavier weight, but that seems like the wrong direction for you but it could be if you go with a big throat like 19.

It’s common for a great C trumpet to need a different mouthpiece balance than a great Bb trumpet
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: thoughts, Reply with quote

Trumptrevol,
Sent you a pm.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ability to play loud and bore size are unrelated.

Look to your mouthpiece first, the size and taper speed of the bell (larger and slower will carry better), and the weight & temper of the bell.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach mouthpiece shanks usually do not insert as far into the receiver as Schilke mouthpieces. Personal experiences vary but some find that more gap feels more resistant. Stock Bachs also have a #27 throat.

Get a Schilke regular 14 on trial. It is similar to the 5C in size but has a larger throat, larger backbore and a backbore shank that inserts further into the receiver reducing mouthpiece gap.

Also get a Bach 6BM on trial. The 6BM not the 6B. The BM model comes stock with a 26 throat and 24 backbore. It is a little smaller in diameter but close enough for testing purposes.

If you like the Schilke, then consider investing in a 2 part system with a Bach 5C top with throat enlarged to 26 and a Schilke C threaded backbore.

If you like the Bach 6BM, then consider getting a Bach 5C with 26 throat and 24 backbore. (Or having a stock one modified.)

Oh - another consideration. You need someone else to evaluate your volume in front of the bell. You could have a horn mouthpiece combination that projects well but does not give you the behind the horn feedback you are used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: