• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Second time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jokera39

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Second time Reply with quote

I played trumpet when I was 16-24 years.After that I was too busy in my work to have time to keep suitable embouchure.So I stopped playing.Pause,when not played trumpet was very long, maybe too long? Now Iḿ going retired and and have time and willing to start to play again in my own fun. My range is trash! If in this forum are peoples who had started playing after many years and have some tips what to do, I will gratefully take advices how to start. Iḿ not searching some kind of shortcuts, because I believe itś not aviable.
Thanks a lot
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a 12 year break here but my main advice is get a teacher and start slow, no, SLOW.

If you can only play for ten minutes initially, do just that. As soon as something feels uneasy, stop. Take a break, a real break, then go back. Practicing three times ten minutes a day will get you more progress than overdoing something.

Don’t push your range, start in the low and middle register.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back after a 50 year hiatus at the age of 79. It wasn't easy, but I took it slow and easy and day by day it all came back to me and after 6 months i was playing first trumpet with a local band. The secret is, don't kill yourself. Easy and slow is the way to go.

I had a good foundation thanks to a music conservatory and a top local pro player and played for 12 years with my own band. I didn't need a teacher but a fellow trumpet player helped me over some humps so a teacher won't hurt if the going is too tough.

I practice fundamentals an hour every morning and play an hour of tunes every afternoon to keep my chops in good playing condition. I turn 85 this month.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! If at all possible, take some lessons. That can help you get off to a good start With your embouchure and avoid many frustrations.

A teacher can also help you put together a good practice routine: What material to practice, how to practice it, and when to do so.

If it is impossible for you to study with a teacher, Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" is the best comprehensive method I have come across. Not as useful as working with a teacher, but it offers a series of 84 progressive lessons that go from the absolute beginner level to the very advanced level.

Good luck, and have fun!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Only a 12 year break here but my main advice is get a teacher and start slow, no, SLOW.

If you can only play for ten minutes initially, do just that. As soon as something feels uneasy, stop. Take a break, a real break, then go back. Practicing three times ten minutes a day will get you more progress than overdoing something.

Don’t push your range, start in the low and middle register.

+1
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the earlier good advice, I suggest you take the time to think about your embouchure to make sure you're 'doing it right', and NOT using improper techniques that you acquired earlier.

A good teacher who can analyze and comment on your technique would be a great way to start - might only take one session unless serious corrections are needed.

My basic thoughts about embouchure are here -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a performance outlet. It's hard to maintain a regular practice regimen if you don't have an end goal for what you're doing with it - there has to be something that inspires you and drives you to practice and improve.

I actually struggle with that these days. My day job is completely unrelated to music, and I have a lot of other irons in the fire that are also non-music related, so I find myself at times going weeks without picking up the horn. I'm in that boat right now. The National Guard band I'm in played a concert on July 5th, we culminated our 2 weeks of annual active training the next day, and I haven't touched the horn since.

Fortunately I have a couple of gigs coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'll be back on the horn today trying to get it going again.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet. Second the advice to get a teacher and go slow. Also have fun.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is said that Mendez asked his students to lip buzz simple tunes for 30 days before giving them a mouthpiece to buzz on for another month before giving them a trumpet. I think this helps you perfect your embouchure and roll in for the higher register. If you can't buzz it, you won't play it very well. Buzzing requires no mpc pressure, so you learn that you can play without it.

I second the recommendation to rest as much as you play and to avoid most of the time getting tired. Once a week, push yourself to see how your endurance is doing.

I also suggest using the pencil exercise at night before bed, so there is time for the embouchure to recover while you sleep. Work up to holding the pencil for three minutes, but don't let it fatigue you to where you are too tired to play.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: