• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hi all--new to the forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Hi all--new to the forum Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I just joined. I am a retired public school teacher but I also am classically trained and have a Masters in Performance from Rice University back in 95. I studied with Jim Wilt and Armando Ghitalla for those 2 years and then started teaching school. Now after retirement I am going to get back into private teaching. I am looking for a Bb to teach with. All I have is a C and a picc. I sold all my other horns a long time ago. I don't even know where to begin.

Best to all of you!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on your budget. If you have a decent budget, and you want a basic Bach feel and sound but don't want to go through the hassle of trying to find a good one, get a Shires. Their models are basically:

Model A: Bach 37
Model B: Bach 43
Model C: Bach 72

They have a lot of other options and semi-customizations based on those 3 horns, as well as some signature artist models, but those three are probably the three most popular. I'm currently playing a Model B and I really really enjoy it.

The detractor? It's going to cost you the better part of $4k.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a couple day road trip to Dillon Music in NJ to play your way through the most diverse inventory around. At a slightly smaller scale, there is also Josh Landress Brass in NYC, and Rich Ita's Brass Instrument Workshop in Marietta Ga.

What works for one retired player/teacher is not what necessarily works for the next. You need to spend the time to really see what the options are and how they interact with you personally. A road trip is the only way to do that typically.

(Horn Safari - the vacation version)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'm in the budget for a 4K trumpet. I'm looking for something under 1,000 that has a fat sound and easy to blow with really good centered pitch. I've heard of some off brands that are supposedly really good horns.

Road trip to the NE...
My daughter is a BWAY actress, currently unemployed, but I'm sure if I dont have a trumpet before she has an audition up there I'll check that out.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricealumni95 wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'm in the budget for a 4K trumpet. I'm looking for something under 1,000 that has a fat sound and easy to blow with really good centered pitch. I've heard of some off brands that are supposedly really good horns.

You might be able to find something on the used market for that. Consider though, what did you pay for your C and pic based on today's prices of those horns?

Sometimes some gems can be found, but just as often, when it comes to musical instruments, you get what you pay for.

As for the fat sound, that's 100% the player, not the horn.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get a decent used name-brand horn for $1000.

If Carol/Manchester is still considered an off-brand, you cannot miss with those. New. Plenty of boutique makers opt for Carol valve sets and/or bells.

Where are you? Someone should be able to suggest a place that's fairly handy for play-testing.
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
ricealumni95 wrote:

You might be able to find something on the used market for that. Consider though, what did you pay for your C and pic based on today's prices of those horns?

Sometimes some gems can be found, but just as often, when it comes to musical instruments, you get what you pay for.

As for the fat sound, that's 100% the player, not the horn.

Thanks trickg
I paid diddly for my C and it was used...450.00 back in the 90's. It a circa 1976 239 25H that is definitely a diamond.
As far as fat sounds are 100 percent the player, yes that's true, but if you have a naturally fat sound, some horns sound 'fatter' than others.
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
You might be able to get a decent used name-brand horn for $1000.

If Carol/Manchester is still considered an off-brand, you cannot miss with those. New. Plenty of boutique makers opt for Carol valve sets and/or bells.

Where are you? Someone should be able to suggest a place that's fairly handy for play-testing.

Hi Shawnino
I'm in Houston. I'll look into the Carol Manchester. I'm trying to save a buck but get the benefit of a pro sounding horn.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find a used Getzen Proteus for around $1K. Very solid 37 horn.
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
You should be able to find a used Getzen Proteus for around $1K. Very solid 37 horn.

Great information! I'll try that. I just saw a review of the Carol 5000L YST also.
Anyone know of this horn?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the TH Marketplace. There is a Getzen Eterna, an Olds Studio, a Selmer Radial (would like to have that one …), King Silver Flair, a Benge 3X (slightly over your budget), Benge 7, Reynolds Argenta, all of which are within your budget. That would be a number of starting points.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. You did not say what your C and Picc brands were. Those brands might be a good place to start. Otherwise, I am with the school of "try a lot of horns." You may be surprised what you like if there is no pressure from the people you perform with. There will be people here who say Bach, people who say Getzen, people who say Yamaha, etc., but in the end you have to please you. Besides which, it is a lot of fun to play different horns.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricealumni95 wrote:

Fat is a pretty subjective term but for me, I'd consider a Bach 72 bell, standard or lightweight and probably with a 25 pipe. A good used one might be a bit north of $1K but it'd probably be worth it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with those who suggest a trip to try out horns...you're a good ways from Rich Ita in Atlanta, but if some of what's on his website interests you, you could go there and try horns along the way, too. You could easily make a trip to Austin, and Dallas/FW in Texas and try horns in the stores there. You're the only person who can tell what you will like and what it will cost. You also never know what will turn up on Craigslist altho' people seem to think their horn is a treasure and ask unrealistic prices.

You can look at threads here on bargain horns. Of course, there's always the Olds Ambassador, maybe with a different leadpipe, a modified Besson 2-20 (mine sounds fat), a vintage Conn or Holton...probably some other choices. Depends on how far off the beaten track you want to go. Marketplace always has some Bachs and Yammies on it, maybe a little over your $1000 figure. Good luck and enjoy the search!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Bach Model 37-type setup meets your criteria ("fat" sound, etc.) you might consider a Holton T101, which is supposed to be an almost perfect copy of a standard Bach 37 (do a search on this forum to get the backstory on the T101).

I only mention this because there are two for sale on eBay right now -- one for $770, and one for $975 ("Buy It Now" price) described as "mint".

(Disclaimer -- I have never owned or tried the T101, and I don't know the sellers offering the horns on eBay.)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I guess it depends on your budget. If you have a decent budget, and you want a basic Bach feel and sound but don't want to go through the hassle of trying to find a good one, get a Shires. Their models are basically:

Model C: Bach 72

I feel like the C series isn't really a Bach-ish at all, being much closer to a Besson/Benge kind of horn.

But, that's me.....
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have been very helpful. I may ask some of my buddies if they know anyone selling a good Bb. It would be nice to attend an ITG too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: