• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buescher models

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
I have a reprint of a catalog from the late 30s.

As near as I can tell, in that era, Buescher didn't make "student" models. In the late 30s and into the 40s, near as I can tell, there were three main lines of trumpets.... the Aristocrat, the Custom Built, and the 400. There also seemed to be a few other models that were still offered, though they weren't listed in the catalog that I have, and there may have been some overlap in the models.

Some of these models didn't have names, though they all had model numbers. For example, I have a model 220, which is a narrow-wrap "jazz" horn that is clearly from the mid-40s or so, based on serial number... probably immediately post-war. This trumpet has no name on it except for Buescher. It has heavy valve casings soldered together in much the same fashion as the 400.

While the 400 is probably the top of the line from the mid-30s when it was introduced until the early 50s when it was redesigned, the other horns were of equivalent quality, but designed with a different sound in mind. As an aside, the design of the 400 seems to be the least changed in that time period. It remained essentially identical, except in trim and changing the mouthpipe from nickel to brass, throughout that period.

If you're looking at Buescher trumpets and you have one that you're thinking of buying, by all means let us know what it is. But in the era you're talking about, it's my opinion that all Buecher trumpets were professional quality horns... they didn't distinguish. Just that some of them had features that made them cost more.

Tom

So Tom, My 440 says both Aristocrat as well as "the Custom Built" leading me to think it was a custom built Aristocrat. But its sounds like , from your explanation here, that there was also horns that bore just the name Aristocrat at the same time? Or am I wrong.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buescher Artstocrat Reply with quote

coolsoupy wrote:
I have an Aristocrat Cornet that I picked up for less than 100.00 and it plays as well as any "intermediate horn that I have seen. plus no dings and about 98% lacquer. My horn sn656096 from '65 or'66?

Much later than that and nearly impossible to tell.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing research on the 1942 Buescher 400 I was planning to buy, I found everything I needed to know a the the site listed below :

www.buescherloyalist.com
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds7 wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:
I have a reprint of a catalog from the late 30s.

As near as I can tell, in that era, Buescher didn't make "student" models. In the late 30s and into the 40s, near as I can tell, there were three main lines of trumpets.... the Aristocrat, the Custom Built, and the 400. There also seemed to be a few other models that were still offered, though they weren't listed in the catalog that I have, and there may have been some overlap in the models.

Some of these models didn't have names, though they all had model numbers. For example, I have a model 220, which is a narrow-wrap "jazz" horn that is clearly from the mid-40s or so, based on serial number... probably immediately post-war. This trumpet has no name on it except for Buescher. It has heavy valve casings soldered together in much the same fashion as the 400.

While the 400 is probably the top of the line from the mid-30s when it was introduced until the early 50s when it was redesigned, the other horns were of equivalent quality, but designed with a different sound in mind. As an aside, the design of the 400 seems to be the least changed in that time period. It remained essentially identical, except in trim and changing the mouthpipe from nickel to brass, throughout that period.

If you're looking at Buescher trumpets and you have one that you're thinking of buying, by all means let us know what it is. But in the era you're talking about, it's my opinion that all Buecher trumpets were professional quality horns... they didn't distinguish. Just that some of them had features that made them cost more.

Tom

So Tom, My 440 says both Aristocrat as well as "the Custom Built" leading me to think it was a custom built Aristocrat. But its sounds like , from your explanation here, that there was also horns that bore just the name Aristocrat at the same time? Or am I wrong.

There were "Aristocrats" and "Custom-Built Aristocrats" at the same time, yes.
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: