• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bore diameter and Range development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matsumike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: finally some real info.... Reply with quote

Jason, I love it when you chime in, I always learn something valuable! Thanks.
a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything.
-Plato
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote -

"Sounds like SuperChops to me... "

Just for the record, this "trick" Herbert L. wrote is not Superchops, but it is pretty close to the embouchure Callet now teaches, TCE; merely a development of what many past greats used. It's stable throughout over 5 octaves, and not a a trick at all.
beboptrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience it depends on the person. i play on a large bore (Holton MF Horn ST307S; .468), but all the other trumpet players i know play on ML bores, and say that they can't play on larger bore horns for one reason or the other, but, it works for me. not everything works for everybody, because we are all different.

on a sidenote, physical condition and or physical stature may also play a role in how one responds to one bore size or the other. i'm physically larger than all the other trumpet players i know. i'm 6'2 about 220. i do heavy resistance training, and moderate to intense cardio 5 days a week, so i'm in decent physical condition, and i'm used to moving a lot of air and deep control breathing. it could be that a large bore works for me because utilizing the larger volume of air neccesary for a large born horn is almost second nature to me.
i'm not bragging in any way, but this line of thinking came about because i have noticed that when i don't workout and my phycical conditioning starts to decline, all aspects of my playing suffer. i have nothing other than personal experience to base this line of thinking on.

prehaps when looking for what equipment works for which person, some of these factors should be considered.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the horn can certainly make a difference in range. However, I had it happen without a bore change. I went from a .470 Callet to a .470 Wild Thing and gained a minor third of dependable, full tone range. My top squeek didn't go up, but the highest nice fat note did.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes -- it ain't the bore size! The actual bore has little to do with the acoustic impedance -- "blow" or "resistance" to we trumpet folk. The shape of the tubing matters more.

Jim Donaldson's Schilke Loyalist site has an excellent articale on the irrelevance of bore size.

Nice horn, btw, though I am rather biased...
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think 'Mouthpice", that the screamers' real secret. They play every horn
on Earth, but 80-90% are using a shallower cup. Some feel a lighter weight
horn is helpful to get that edge, but bore size is irrelevant. Tom in Texas
8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 2 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 9 Harrelsons, and 4 Eclipses
Jenny Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who offered their views here about bore size.

This thread inspired this article on the topic of measuring bore size and what effect bore size has on playing characteristics.
B935

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Bore diameter and endurance Reply with quote

I would like to hear opinions of the effect on endurance with different bore sizes.

Pete Beller
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bore diameter and endurance Reply with quote

B935 wrote:
I would like to hear opinions of the effect on endurance with different bore sizes.

-------------------------------
Bore size alone probably does make a difference that could be analyzed and understood - IF all the other aspects of the trumpet were kept the same.
The 'other aspects' include: mouthpiece, leadpipe, tuning slide shape, bell taper rate and size, etc.
But there's also the question of whether a 'good playing trumpet' could be designed without changing those other aspects.

When comparing 2 trumpets of different bore sizes, you might notice an endurance change - but it would not be valid to attributed the change entirely to the bore size (unless the other aspects were the same).

If a 'large bore trumpet' appeals because it produces a 'huge lush powerful sound that soars above the orchestra' it might require more endurance. But that is because of the entire design, not just the large bore.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: