• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the value TH provides to the community?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: What is the value TH provides to the community? Reply with quote

Please note in advance that I am not trying to start arguments or shame anyone for having a differing viewpoint.

I, like others, have some opinions on the value of TH to the community.

For instance it can help newbies to gather information on trumpets in general. But, as in any internet source, the advice is not qualified by how accurate the poster's information is. So for some number of posts the advice might be detrimental not beneficial.

It contains a ton of history of instruments and music. It has solutions, or at least things to try, for a myriad of issues both with the player and the instrument itself. Some of this is extemporaneous, such as reviews of new instrument models, which is very valuable for future historians. Discussions of trumpet pedagogy by the inventors or their former students is also very valuable.

If one is considering purchasing model X of brand B chances are that there are a few posts about it on here.

But is seems that some people don't take the time to search the site to find the information they are looking for. Think how many times someone starts a "I am a comeback player, what is the best horn for me?" threads containing numerous posts recommending the poster's current horn as the perfect one for this stranger to use.

In addition, and I used to be one of these, some of us get annoyed when a thread gets awakened by someone who is taking the time to search the site. I currently applaud those threads reawakened if the discussion remains relevant to the original discussion.

Anyway, what do you, the members of this forum, think is the value of this forum and how do you think it should be used?

Note: the website's search function is pretty much useless which is why I always use google or bing and the search term "site:trumpetherald.com" to limit the results to TH content.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the value of TH is and has been the availability of information and opinions that are not limited to “regional”. Meaning, I’ve been exposed to and learned a lot about instruments and playing techniques that might not be especially prevalent in my particular area (now Texas, formerly Chicago). Years ago, my idea of a professional trumpet was limited to Bach, Benge, Schilke and Yamaha; obviously there are MANY additional fine instruments out there.

I’ve recently decided to read more and comment less, in part because I found myself becoming annoyed by certain commentaries, and like most of us, I have plenty to be annoyed about without TH being another source, especially in our country today. So even though I’m more of a lurker than contributor lately, I thought LittleRusty’s post here is definitely thought provoking and worthy of responses.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comment about the “regional” nature. I remember discussions in high school and college that contained a lot of local lore that I now know to be BS.

Perhaps one benefit I hadn’t thought of is the standardizing of terminology that happens as part of participating here.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the value TH provides to the community? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Anyway, what do you, the members of this forum, think is the value of this forum and how do you think it should be used?

Pretty much agree with everything you wrote. There's one additional point I'd like to add. What I find very valuable about Trumpet Herald is that it allows for non-professionals to participate in discussions as well. There is no 'you must be at least this good for your opinion to be allowed' threshold. And while I realize that also has many downsides, occasionally a novice can offer a point of view that a master may overlook. Sometimes even something that's blatantly wrong can inspire an interesting discussion that prompts a professional to share their wisdom. It's great learning from the best but sometimes, getting some tips from someone who's been where you're at is valuable too.

I also agree with Brad's point about reading more and posting less, but sometimes it's just fun to join in a discussion about an awesome trumpet you've never played or will in your life .

LittleRusty wrote:
But is seems that some people don't take the time to search the site to find the information they are looking for. Think how many times someone starts a "I am a comeback player, what is the best horn for me?" threads containing numerous posts recommending the poster's current horn as the perfect one for this stranger to use.

Maybe the mods could make a sticky for that...make a list of generic 'economically smart trumpets and why the community recommends them' and add it to the comeback players forum?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the TH is kind of an essay on trumpet-playing and related topics that I (mostly) appreciate a lot. Discussing this or that, getting worthwile contributions dealing with horns, stimulating videos - I´ve come across many such videos that I would never have encountered were it not for the TH (i.e. the series provided by the very likeable Jim Wilt was truly inspiring).
And I found the BE - at a crucial pooint in my playing life when I thought it all was gone to the dogs - it has helped me immensely - adding many years of playing at a fairly decent (amateur) level. Caruso,Stevens, Laurie Frinks integrated warm up studies - so good for me.
Inspiring discussions - the pop-corn demanding discussions on the Garden hose versus Bernouille etc etc - I´ve learned a lot.
And providing a context - a nice feeling of belonging - we are all the same but different.
As in my professional life - I´ve never stopped getting surprised at finding so many inventive (sometimes disastrous..)solutions to the "human dilemma"......
Then, of course, as in all forums, occasionally some "post-shots" (probably a non-translatable Swedish saying) post about this mouthpiece or that habit - but..."That´s life" speaking with Frankie.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned a lot from TH, an awful lot.

- I found a teacher, Jeff Purtle, who was a tremendous help.
- I discovered that it wasn't normal to just own one trumpet. Who knew? I have started a small collection. It has cost me a not so small fortune. My wife is ready to shoot me and I'm just getting started. I still need a picc, at least. I also want a C trumpet and a Getzen Bb cornet. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife that I need an Inderbinen Wood fluglehorn since I don't even have a jazz band and rarely play the flugelhorn that I already have. Before I discovered TH, I didn't even know there was such a thing as an Inderbinen Wood flugelhorn and now my life isn't complete without one. And after I get those, there will be more.
- I discovered so many different manufacturers of mouthpieces that I didn't know existed. I've got a growing stable of them as well and there seems to be no end in sight.
- I discovered little things like "The Best Damned Trumpet Lead Pipe Swab Period." That alone was worth all of the hours I fritter away on TH. That thing really works.
- Then there was the Torpedo trumpet cases. Well, naturally, I needed a matching set of those.
- There were quite a few conflicting opinions on valve oil, so I needed to try them all and compare. I haven't reached a final conclusion yet. I'm still working my way through the 10 gallons that I bought.
- I discovered Rich Ita. I had to take a few of my instruments to him just for the satisfaction of knowing that his hands actually touched my instruments. It turns out that it's not hype. The guy really works magic. I'm convinced that was worth every penny.
- I learned to love Bach trumpets.
- I learned to hate Bach trumpets.
- I learned to rest as much as I play. Wow. What a concept.
- I learned that if you want to play high notes (and who doesn't?), it's not magic. Just practice a couple of hours everyday on fundamentals and it eventually happens. Claude Gordan and Earl Irons books help tremendously.
- I discovered Alexander Arutunian's Trumpet Concerto in A♭ major. Now I am trying to figure out if there is a general audience who actually enjoys listening to it.
- I discovered Shaye Cohn and Tuba Skinny - now that's music.
- I discovered British Brass Band music and I am researching migrating to the U.K. The legal part isn't so bad, but figuring out whether or not I need a Besson cornet is a bear - then there's the whole soprano cornet vs B♭thing. I guess I'll just have to take a leap of faith and go now and figure out the details later.
- Then there is the wonderful community, Flip Oakes, Trent Austin, Adam and Brett Getzen, Tony Scodwell and on and on...

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many ebbs and flows to TH over the years. Lots of great pros and amateurs post/posted here...and lots of craziness, too. There is a LOT of great information contained here. That being said, the hey day of the message board is in the past. Social media has done that. Posters grow older, grow busier, or grow disillusioned. That's just the way it goes.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: what value does the TH provide? Reply with quote

I believe that if there had been a TH when I started college 53 years ago my teacher would have assigned me to look it up on the internet and read so much every week. The type of person he was he would have said you are going to learn some things you are going to want to do, and you are going to learn some things you don't want to do. Most of the sharing is from an honest heart and people just want to help each other. It is certainly more valuable than any social media junk I have been around. Stick around the pages in TH enough and you will learn much about the history of the trumpet and those who have developed the instrument, and those who play. Pretty great place, folks.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
There have been many ebbs and flows to TH over the years. Lots of great pros and amateurs post/posted here...and lots of craziness, too. There is a LOT of great information contained here. That being said, the hey day of the message board is in the past. Social media has done that. Posters grow older, grow busier, or grow disillusioned. That's just the way it goes.

I remember an ebb and flow in numbers of posts that seemed to coincide with school being in session. I always thought it was college students, but it could easily have been younger students too.

The trend doesn’t seem to exist anymore.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:

I agree completely.

Brad
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've been a member of TH, I have learned a great deal about different horns and horn builders, and found some good information on mouthpieces and other interesting hardware. I have also done my best to share my personal experiences with others. I have found it to be a good source for information and an outlet for what I've learned as well.

There has always been a very interesting cast of characters (Capt Kirk comes to mind) whose posts are more entertainment than educational. It is generally easy to figure out who these folks are by looking at the responses of the known knowledgable members as well as from personal experience.

I also greatly appreciate the manufacturers, vendors and custom builders who participate here...Trent Austin, Brett Getzen, Tony Scodwell and others who share their expertise and knowledge.

Bottom line for me...TH is a fun and useful resource...
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After over 17 years, I can honestly say I enjoy the forum just as much now as I did when I started posting.

I think the amount of information available is amazing. So is the amount of misinformation, unfortunately. That is the whole reason I first started posting. There were a few threads going about how Getzen had bought out Edwards and we were going to discontinue production. Or that we were going to end Getzen trumpets and only build Edwards. I can't remember exactly, it was a long time ago. Anyway, there were some posters arguing about the topic and I signed up just to give the real story from a reliable source... or at least one that should know.

I was quickly pulled in. I try to limit comments and posts to only those topics directly related to our company/products. Occasionally, I will chime in on other topics where I think a little inside information may be helpful to clear up a few misconceptions. I always try to be careful because this is a very small industry. A lot of people know a lot of people, and there is a lot of information shared privately that contradicts public knowledge. While I would love to spill the beans on a few topics, it isn't really my place. I have probably deleted half as many writings as I have actually posted.

Honestly, I think the most valuable part is the connection with all of you, the actual musician. As a manufacturer, your exposure to the end customer is often pretty limited. There isn't a direct line from player to builder in many cases. Everyone lines up to tell you what they don't like, but very rarely does anyone contact you to tell you what they like. It's always nice to hear when you hit the target. It's also great to be able to get information out directly without relying on a retailer that may have their own agenda or bias.

Over all 17 years I have walked away with some great insights, some frustrating realities, and some face slap moments. It is amazing how many people don't know what they don't know, but can sure sound convincing online.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:

- I discovered that it wasn't normal to just own one trumpet. Who knew? I have started a small collection. It has cost me a not so small fortune. My wife is ready to _________.

I think we can all fill in our own individual blank on that one. My wife’s favorite comment is:

"Every room in this house has a trumpet in it!"

The main thing I've learned is, you have to have a backup...for everything! So you got a Yamaha C cornet. Well, where's your backup in case that one has to go into the shop?! (I don't own a C cornet...but some day....)

[quote="Grits Burgh”]…Inderbinen Wood fluglehorn since I don't even have a jazz band and rarely play the flugelhorn that I already have. Before I discovered TH, I didn't even know there was such a thing as an Inderbinen Wood flugelhorn and now my life isn't complete without one. And after I get those, there will be more.[/quote]
Yep. I can relate.

Grits Burgh wrote:
- I discovered so many different manufacturers of mouthpieces that I didn't know existed. I've got a growing stable of them as well and there seems to be no end in sight.
- I discovered little things like "The Best Damned Trumpet Lead Pipe Swab Period." That alone was worth all of the hours I fritter away on TH. That thing really works.
- Then there was the Torpedo trumpet cases. Well, naturally, I needed a matching set of those.
- There were quite a few conflicting opinions on valve oil, so I needed to try them all and compare. I haven't reached a final conclusion yet. I'm still working my way through the 10 gallons that I bought.

Been there. You know you’re getting closer when you start giving away bottles of valve oil.

Grits Burgh wrote:

This repeats until the Lord’s calling.

Grits Burgh wrote:
…I am researching migrating to the U.K.

I thought the same when I discovered Eclipse Trumpets. Then I tried to convince Leigh McKinney to move to Sugar Land, Texas. He and his wife actually love the name of the town, and I think it created a spark of consideration!
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the value TH provides to the community? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Note: the website's search function is pretty much useless which is why I always use google or bing and the search term "site:trumpetherald.com" to limit the results to TH content.

After seeing your earlier post on how to really search TH I've found most all of my dumb questions have already been fully discussed, sometimes to the point of ad nausiem (as an equipment geek that's OK). That has saved me, and the other forum users, a lot of redundant posts.

Never-the-less I'm still amazed at the amount of knowledge, and a few 'off the wall' opinions hidden &/or available on this site. Kind of like using the OED for the 1st time. TH is one of my top trumpet resources, wish I'd found it sooner. That also kind of answers the question of how I like to use TH, at least so far.

Last edited by ECLtmpt2 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different for everyone. For me, it's the education on the characteristics of different horns and mouthpieces.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

- I found a teacher, Jeff Purtle, who was a tremendous help.
- I discovered that it wasn't normal to just own one trumpet. Who knew? I have started a small collection. It has cost me a not so small fortune. My wife is ready to shoot me and I'm just getting started. I still need a picc, at least. I also want a C trumpet and a Getzen Bb cornet. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife that I need an Inderbinen Wood fluglehorn since I don't even have a jazz band and rarely play the flugelhorn that I already have. Before I discovered TH, I didn't even know there was such a thing as an Inderbinen Wood flugelhorn and now my life isn't complete without one. And after I get those, there will be more.
- I discovered Rich Ita. I had to take a few of my instruments to him just for the satisfaction of knowing that his hands actually touched my instruments. It turns out that it's not hype. The guy really works magic. I'm convinced that was worth every penny.
- I learned to rest as much as I play. Wow. What a concept.
- I learned that if you want to play high notes (and who doesn't?), it's not magic. Just practice a couple of hours everyday on fundamentals and it eventually happens. Claude Gordan and Earl Irons books help tremendously.
- I discovered Alexander Arutunian's Trumpet Concerto in A♭ major. Now I am trying to figure out if there is a general audience who actually enjoys listening to it.
- I discovered Shaye Cohn and Tuba Skinny - now that's music.
- I discovered British Brass Band music and I am researching migrating to the U.K. The legal part isn't so bad, but figuring out whether or not I need a Besson cornet is a bear - then there's the whole soprano cornet vs B♭thing. I guess I'll just have to take a leap of faith and go now and figure out the details later.
- Then there is the wonderful community, Flip Oakes, Trent Austin, Adam and Brett Getzen, Tony Scodwell and on and on...

Surely you will also remember that in TH you learned to arch your tongue to increase the speed of the air and hit the high notes, and why not? He also had to learn that arching your tongue doesn't influence airspeed or help you get high notes.

I liked your post, very funny!!

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpjerele wrote:
Surely you will also remember that in TH you learned to arch your tongue to increase the speed of the air and hit the high notes, and why not? He also had to learn that arching your tongue doesn't influence airspeed or help you get high notes.

FWIW, I just heard an interview of Eric Miyashiro and he said he never arches his tongue.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Mark Leccese

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the value TH provides to the community? Reply with quote

deleted_user_687c31b wrote:
There's one additional point I'd like to add. What I find very valuable about Trumpet Herald is that it allows for non-professionals to participate in discussions as well. There is no 'you must be at least this good for your opinion to be allowed' threshold. And while I realize that also has many downsides, occasionally a novice can offer a point of view that a master may overlook. Sometimes even something that's blatantly wrong can inspire an interesting discussion that prompts a professional to share their wisdom. It's great learning from the best but sometimes, getting some tips from someone who's been where you're at is valuable too.

I check the new posts on TH every day during my practice breaks, and I completely agree with deleted_user_687c31b. It's the only place where amateurs can read what pros -- and other amateur -- have to say about playing this treacherous instrument. We can even interact.

Sometimes I come to TH when I'm looking for guidance, and I always find it. A few weeks ago I was looking for a good etude book. There are so many. It was here on TH I discovered the William Wurm "40 Etudes" -- perfect practice for me! Just what I wanted.

TH is a useful (and fun) place to hang out for a few minutes a day. People sometimes get heated in the discussions. I sit back and read with amusement. And people are helpful if you ask a question.
Yamaha YFH-8310Z Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: