• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Botti Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
irememberchet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Chris Botti Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi Brassnose and thanks for the message!

Yes, I do play the Edwards X-13, and I think it is capable of sounding just about any way the player wants with the right mouthpiece setup. I love my Martin Handcraft Committee for a lot of music I play, but I would have to say, for all around use in a commercial setting, the X-13 is a more all around versatile horn.

The Martin can't be beat for a more dark sounding lush ballad, but the X-13, as you know, really resonates, and with the right mouthpiece setup, can really sizzle, as well as play classical, commercial music, and lush ballads.

For all around playing, the X-13 is very fine horn to be sure!
1940 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 Large Bore
Yamaha 8335 LA II Bergeron Custom
Yamaha 8340 EM Eric Miyashiro
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Taylor Phatboy Flugelhorn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is interesting to hear. As I posted in a series of other threads I have been interested in the X-13 for a while and was able to play test it just about a year and a half ago. My bank account and my intentions do not quite match (yet, especially because I am also looking into a professional level bass trumpet) but it’s good to know you can also do-a-committee on an X-13, or at least almost.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Richard that the Schilke HC1 comes the closest to the Handcraft Committee large bore. I've owned a large bore Committee before but not a Handcraft which I believe is bit lighter than a non-Handcraft Committee, which gives it a quicker response. I find the Schilke has less intonation issues and also slots a is a bit more open in the upper register. As for tone and feel, they're pretty close :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. As you can guess from me playing a 43 Bach, I’m mostly active in big bands and commercial style music, though currently on hold because my last band split up a little before COVID. So a ballad horn or let’s say a super open horn with super wide slots may not be the go to instrument for me plus I am an amateur player with a pretty busy day job, so I cannot always practice as much as I’d need to or want to. I figure this would show with a Committee style horn quite quickly.

These boundary conditions notwithstanding, it is nice to have a horn that can „do it all“, hence my interest in the X-13. Given all the info I have I figure the HCs or A9 may not quite be what I am looking for, though I especially like the looks of the HC2. Maybe they’ll make an X-13 in silver or gold plate with a lacquered copper bell?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
jvairola

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Botti Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Brent wrote:
Martin Handcraft Committee, large bore. In an interview, he said he loves the tone, though he also noted intonation can be a struggle.

A 1939 Martin Handcraft Committee large bore. Apparently he lost or otherwise doesn't use the third valve slide adjustment ring because he performs without it on the horn. With no way to adjust the third valve slide that might explain some struggles with intonation.

I was watching one of his videos this morning. He has so much reverb cranked in that it would be impossible to know from the video what his tone is really like. That's not a complaint it's just an observation. He is clearly an excellent player.

Does anyone have a video or recording that hasn't been engineered to enhance his sound? It would be interesting to hear the real thing.

I saw him last night in Sacramento and I too noticed no 3rd valve ring. However, his intonation was right on the money. Very impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: