• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Creating a listener friendly recital

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuningbell470

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Creating a listener friendly recital Reply with quote

With all this time at home over the past year or so, I've been practicing mostly solo repertoire to keep myself motivated and have discovered plenty of pieces in doing so.

During this time, I've also been thinking a lot about how to create a good recital programme. While I appreciate that there are many threads asking for ideas etc, my question is this: when you're putting on a recital, how do you go about choosing your programmed?

Do you choose solely pieces you enjoy, or do you try and play pieces by recognised composers that the non-trumpet playing public have heard of? Or is there anyone who combines the two, combining household name composers and listener friendly pieces with some more challenging to listen to music such as Berio, Henze, Ligeti etc

Would be very interested to hear the thoughts of the herald on this matter

Spencer Heavyweight Bb
Stomvi Elite D/Eb
Yamaha Chicago C Gen 2
Yamaha 6810 Bb/A Piccolo
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the purpose of the recital.
If to fulfill academic requirements, then the teacher(s) have some requirements.
If meant to show your individual abilities, then audience needs to be considered. Do they understand the technical / musical challenges of the pieces being played? Will they enjoy listening to the pieces?
If to attract customers / students, then pieces they find appealing.[/list]
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with the first response... what are the parameters of the recital?
1. A masters recital program will often require all the different trumpets in your arsenal. And a DMA program often includes the same but more demanding from a technical/artistic standpoint. In these instances, recitals are for your development and the act of preparing and learning are most important. If you’re looking at continuing in schooling, standard orchestral and audition pieces make a ton of sense. Here I’m thinking :Hindenburg Sonata, Honnegger Intrada, Haydn or Hummel, and maybe Telemann or Torelli. Then if need be some unaccompanied contemporary work. If you can pull of the Henze,, Kryl, or Berio well, then more power to you
If you’re looking at continuing more contemporary music, then focus on the music that gets you excited. Most “challenging to listen to” music will not be asked for by an orchestra but will be something that groups similar to ICE and Wild Up will be excited about.
If you love it, the musicians you want to work with may hear your musical point of view and work with you.
2. That being said, most orchestras asking for any of their musicians to program a recital will be wanting things with marketable names and or works. In this scenario, Telemann, Haydn, Bach, Martinu (Le revue du Cuisine) (ive seen several orchestras ask for that chamber piece in their chamber works series) It never hurlers to have these in your back pocket. Or the addition of songs/vocal based music (Brahms Four Serious Songs for example. Tim Higgins does a lot of that for trombone)
3. Another consideration, can some of the music you choose make it possible to work with some of the musicians you know or have been dying to work with? I’m thinking things such as mixed instrument trios (Violin, Trumpet Piano) (Or (expert level) barber Capricorn Concerto and Bach Brandenburg have same soloist instrumentation. Or really out there pieces that you and at least one other person geek out about. If you geek out about it and really get the piece the way you want, most people, even if it tests their musical patience, will appreciate the artistic implied you present.
Other consideration aside, a good recital is like a good orchestral program or jazz set.... Does the program have an arc that enhances the musical content? Is there a school of composers you want to feature? Does the music fit the space you will be playing in? (To me, the Haydn or Hummel feel out of place in a black box theater, for example)

I hope some of these thoughts help
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I have not been enthusiastic about hearing very many recitals of soloist with piano. For me to create an interesting program for my graduate recital, I needed to bring in other musicians. I used a string quintet for a piece and did a piece with jazz combo. Trumpet and piano only just gets really old in my opinion. It is crazy how many dull recitals music majors have to sit through.
tuningbell470

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies,

As I should've clarified in the OP, I'm more meaning recitals put on as an entertainment (for want of a better word) event rather than the academic sort.

Obviously degree recitals are an important event in the calendar and for one's development, but here I'm particularly curious about how to plan a recital for the non trumpet-playing public, in order to spread the joy of our instrument to a wider audience.

Spencer Heavyweight Bb
Stomvi Elite D/Eb
Yamaha Chicago C Gen 2
Yamaha 6810 Bb/A Piccolo
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that sense, go with your gut. The right piece in the right place at the right time. Mary Bowden recently did a set in a coffee shop in Richmond with piano. Her recital was about 50 percent vocal transcription, several pieces by composer friends of hers, and several compositions by noted female composers. It was lovely and very well received. Had she gone to town on something heavy, I don’t think it would have been so warmly received (especially from the coffee shop itself)
I would say that most trumpet players even are reticent to attend a heavy modern works recital. I would balance any modern stuff personally with very singable transcriptions or arrangements of tunes that classical audiences would recognize. Maybe a Carmen fantasy, an arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue... or Piazzolas Paris 1937 (maybe that’s right)
All those can be very demanding from a trumpet playing perspective, but also more inviting to an uninitiated ear.
Malcolm McNab’s The Ultimate Trumpet album has quite a few pieces that would be great in a recital setting. There’s some Wienawski, Chopin, and Kreisler on it. Just some thoughts. Maybe some of those help you to
Shape your idea of a good recital
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuningbell470 wrote:
... how to plan a recital for the non trumpet-playing public, in order to spread the joy of our instrument to a wider audience.

-------------------------------------
A 'hook' of some sort is needed to attract people to attend such an event.

If the performers are very well known to the general public, that might be enough if there is good advertising of the event.

Having the recital be part of a large well-attended event can also work - as long as there are not too many competing activities at the same time slot.
For example as part of a Summer festival, ice cream social, etc.

If all else fails - free beer and pizza will always work, but beer after the performance.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variety is great. Changing up the instrumentation, style, and time period with the pieces can really curate an interesting program.

I also remember reading somewhere that in a study, listeners lost interest in music more quickly when the songs/pieces were all in the same key. It isn't the highest priority when I program, but I try not to load up on pieces that all stay in the same key in case that theory holds any water.
picctpt33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know many non-musicians who have told me they really like Ewazen’s music. He has written several works for trumpet
romajore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t ever planned a trumpet recital? But have planned some vocal recitals and many choral programs. For a non-trumpet, non-academic(music school)audience, I would consider the following:

1. It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing. The selections need to dance and swing.
2. Melody reigns supreme. If they go home humming something it is a success
3. Think of the difference between an orchestra concert season and a Pops summer concert.
4. If you are going to do something more esoteric, or harder to listen to, do it in the first half of the program and finish that half with an easier piece to listen to.
5. Variety. Agree with the prior poster about all trumpet/piano recital. Try something unaccompanied, maybe with strings, or a brass duet.
6. It’s entertainment. Program similar to Canadian Brass programming.

Most of all Have FUN! And let the audience feel that.

Good luck with your program.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself lucky in that I do recitals mostly to amuse myself so I'm free to pick whatever program I feel like doing. With that, I like to be able to give the audience something to take home with them. A few years back, I did a recital that included:
Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms - to show case an 1886 cornet, You Made Me Love You - because an audience member that I knew would be there was a huge Harry James fan
Clarke Trumpet Voluntary on both baroque AND piccolo trumpet to talk about the difference between the horns
A few other more typical recital pieces.

The whole point was to make it fun and teach a little history about the instrument.
[/list][/list]
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Creating a listener friendly recital Reply with quote

tuningbell470 wrote:
when you're putting on a recital, how do you go about choosing your programmed?

Do you choose solely pieces you enjoy, or do you try and play pieces by recognised composers that the non-trumpet playing public have heard of? Or is there anyone who combines the two, combining household name composers and listener friendly pieces with some more challenging to listen to music such as Berio, Henze, Ligeti etc

Would be very interested to hear the thoughts of the herald on this matter

Realistically, one of the major factors in programming a trumpet recital is not necessarily based on a composer's name recognition. Because physical endurance is always an issue, pieces should be chosen and programmed in a manner that the compositions can be physically played by the recitalist.

No one wants to hear a piece (no matter how great it is, or who it's by) where the trumpeter loses his chops in the middle or the performance.

Playing a full trumpet recital takes chops! Arguably, more chops than it takes to play 1st trumpet in a big romantic symphony. Obviously it's a different kind playing, but it takes chops!
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Creating a listener friendly recital Reply with quote

I am assuming your audience is at a college level ---possibly conservatory....

present a variety of time periods centered around a major piece...display your personal talents and interests...involve other students and ensembles!

examples:

The major piece could be:
Tomasi Concerto
Arutunian Concerto
Halsey Stevens Sonata
Hummel Concerto
Haydn Concerto
Chaynes Concerto

Select a piccolo piece:
Molter Concerto
Leopold Mozart Concerto
etc.

Involve others--the sky's the limit!!!
--Handel The Trumpet Shall Sound...with a Baritone vocal soloist
--a brass quintet...I am studying Leonard Bernstein's Dance Suite for Brass Quintet, his final composition!!! Each of the 5 movements is dedicated to a choreographer friend of his.
--a jazz ensemble--pick your ability level
--a trumpet duet piece...try Under Western Skies by Kevin Mckee (very cool sort of Ennio Morricone homage)...try Miles Per Hour by Regina Harris (her tribute to Miles Davis)...
--a mixed ensemble piece...like any of Brandon Ridenour's Founders group made up of trumpet, violin, cello, bass, and clarinet

Stand and deliver a favorite solo etude you have worked on in college...here select your ability level for technical prowess and endurance...try Brandon Ridenour's
Blue Courante based on Bach's violin partita No. 2 ...or a Chalier... if you are good enough try Caleb Hudson's Telemann Fantasia I for piccolo trumpet!!!

Let me know if you need more ideas...
Schilke
Getzen
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule No. 1 - know your audience. Rule No 2, know your audience. Rule 3, know . You get the picture, LOL.

I usually use (freely) the 80/20 rule. Play the largest part of the program with approachable, familiar music (literally or stylistically), familiar to your audience. You can use the other 20% with unfamiliar music.

And balance your program by opening with something familiar and exciting, to get their respect and attention. Put your slow piece in between the first and last. Make the last three pieces gradually increasing in intensity, End big.

The caveat is that you can certainly make a program of music you want-anything to put across your particular aesthetic. But don't blame anyone if you're not invited back.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at

"Modern Suite" by Bernard Fitzgerald

"Call" is especially nice - relatively easy but really shows what the trumpet is all about. Then find a cornet solo to show the difference. Nice to throw in between the difficult pieces.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Creating a listener friendly recital Reply with quote

Jason Rogers wrote:
...if you are good enough try Caleb Hudson's Telemann Fantasia I for piccolo trumpet!!!

I've never heard of this before so I looked it up on YouTube... I was blown away by the technical ability of Caleb's playing then by the sound of that short model picc! 2 questions... how, and how?? Picc was my main solo axe 25+ years ago and I could only dream about getting a sound like that (playing a Schilke P5-4 and 11Ax)... hearing him play this makes me want to both practice harder and quit at the same time (I'm now playing the comeback game)...

To the original post, I never played recitals except for the required weekly recitals in college and mid-term/final recitals, so thinking about getting on a program now intrigues me... do you just google "local recital" to find a program... and would I just ask to play? It'd be fun and funny to play on a recital with a bunch of little Timmies and Suzies just learning their instruments playing Mary's Little Lamb, and then out comes an old guy with a piccolo trumpet!

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Recital Reply with quote

In the United States, unless you are connected with an educational institution, your recital opportunities can be limited. But here are some ideas:

--talk to your local library. They may want to hear an example of your playing--but that is only fair!!! You never know what might develop. Teachers may find new students...brass quintets may be heard by a future bride that dreams of something special for her wedding etc.

--talk to the band director of a local school. There are places in our schedules (i.e. just before the Holidays) that we consider a transition time. You will usually have a respectful attentive audience. Especially if the director involves his/her students in seeking future experiences at the college level--or he/she leads a competitive marching or concert band.

--talk to local Ministers of Music at various churches. Offer your recital as a way to gather interest and additional connections to the community outreach of the church.

--talk to someone at a community college. Some junior colleges have fine arts programs (i.e. Community College of Baltimore County)

--play the recital hall of Youtube, you can do that any day of the week!!!

--finally...if you are returning after being away...take lessons at that local college...you will be linked to as many performance opportunities as your ability level will allow.
Schilke
Getzen
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to create a listener friendly recital program:

1. Don't play poorly.

I caught a lot of flak on here when I posted a thread asking a question about college music programs in light of a senior recital I saw of a student I know on YouTube, and they were, in a word, terrible. Keeping in mind that I saw the recital well after the fact but there were times where I just cringed at just how badly it was performed, and wished the floor would open up and swallow this hapless student. It was that bad. It was bad enough that I wouldn't post the link to it - I did talk about it, but I wasn't going to open this kid up to public scrutiny off of a link that was privately shared.

There's a general rule to music that if it's done well, even if it's not the listener's cup of tea, usually it can at least be appreciated. Let's face it, no one other than trumpet players are going out of their way to listen to solo trumpet repertoire, so if you intend to perform, pick pieces you know you play well.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Recital Reply with quote

Should go without saying:

1. Don't play poorly.....

There are trumpet players out there...at all levels...that need guidance!!!

Some with lots of experience that think excreting high notes is a display of prowess....
Schilke
Getzen
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Recital Reply with quote

Check out:

https://youtu.be/HEYTQ65DNI8
Schilke
Getzen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: