• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most Accurate Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Most Accurate Cornet Reply with quote

Which cornet regardless of make, model or vintage, is easiest to play in tune?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Most Accurate Cornet Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Which cornet regardless of make, model or vintage, is easiest to play in tune?

Can´t say anything about other brands, but the Getzen Eternas, the 3850 never caused me any problems. My latest, Yamaha 6330 II does feel even more accurate.The Getzens at times seemed to need some trigger on low D:s - but that´s fairly common and the not so well tempered scales we use + the horn construction per se.
A significant variable is of course if the other players stay "tuned"!! Not always that simple to make out, I mean, is it me or them - anyway you will have to fit in regardless of what
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Which cornet regardless of make, model or vintage, is easiest to play in tune?"

Probably the one in the hands of the player with the "best" ear...
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very happy with my Schilke XA1...

HTH

Ben
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the quagmire of modern cornets. For your usage, don't go for shepherd's crook. Lack of projection and all that. Best intonation? Another quagmire. The desire for the best cornet can go on forever. See the process with Jim Cullum:

https://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/?q=bonus-content/lamps-and-cornets-jim-cullum-jr

Don't you still have a Conn 80A?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 1955 80A is still on my first team. But always scouting the field for something interesting. I just traded one of my vintage trumpets for a Conn 38A special, a kind of 80A with a .459 bore. I think it was made in 1941.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason most current players play trumpets, I think. Ease of projection. It can't be just that most of them have never played a cornet? Or is it?

There is a certain sense to playing a trumpet with good intonation. With that solved, and the projection issue not a problem, the only thing left is the appropriate early jazz technique and style.

I say all of this because I am an admitted cornetaholic. I love the little buggers. But I struggle with the same issues playing vintage cornets.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: most accurate cornet Reply with quote

I can only echo what Seymore said. I have played the Getzen Eterna extensively and think they are great. I played some on a Schilke long cornet, the 1A and that was heavenly. Also, the Bach long cornet is very nice, and doesn't have a shepherd's crook as one commenter mentions later. No major intonation issues on the Eterna or Schilke that I ever had to deal with.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Ah the quagmire of modern cornets. For your usage, don't go for shepherd's crook. Lack of projection and all that. Best intonation? Another quagmire. The desire for the best cornet can go on forever. See the process with Jim Cullum:

https://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/?q=bonus-content/lamps-and-cornets-jim-cullum-jr

Don't you still have a Conn 80A?

Shepherd´s crook? Don´t you ever enter a brass band UK style with anything but a cornet with shepherd´s crook. Once, during the last 60 years I brought along my Getzen 300 series, shepherd´s crook, but it was long. Frowned upon? Yes. Evil stares? Yes. But the topic here is jazz so that won´t happen to you.
As far as I can hear it doesn´t project better than the Eternas, or the Yammie. The sound however is brighter, more trumpetty.
Original Dixieland Band used cornets, as did Oliver&Armstrong (but as we all know Louis migrated to the trumpet) Lu Watter´s (Yerba Buena Jazz band) trumpets as did most traditional bands; including Georg Lewis. My first jazz EP featured Muggsy Spanier and he played his cornet - can´t tell long/shepherd´s crook or what.
Local bands over here often performed with one guy playing the trumpet, the other one cornet. The Danish groups often used trumpets.

So, from my perspective it´s all about the sound you want to present: cornetty/or not..The essential thing, as I look upon it it, is to project your sound - the voice that is yours and yours alone - choose a horn that feels "at home"!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an interesting topic. We try to get an authentic sound. But really the style is what is authentic. People played what they had available at the time. A player who started in the 20's didn't stay with the same horn their entire life. They, like us, always looked for a better horn to play. Many played the Conn 80A early on. Most did not stay with it. Some went to trumpet. Most progressed to more modern to the times cornets.

We like to emulate our heroes. So we will buy that tired old cornet seeking the same sound. But what we are also emulating is that cornet when it was new recorded on systems of that time period. We are not hearing the live sound.

The OP got some advice which I'm trying to take to heart. Play the horn that gives you the best intonation, the ability to play the music the way you want and the sound will be yours. Doesn't matter what the instrument is, be it cornet or trumpet.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played in brass band, orchestras (esp opera) where not only pitch but tone quality is sort of important, I can say I have had 3 cornets I feel did the business, or at least came close.

1. Schilke XA7. Just great. Warm enough to cope in a brass band, projects brilliantly. Intonation is terrific.
2. Schilke AC2. Like the Bb, but a slightly warmer sound at times, and only a few odd intonation challenges, mostly fixed now.
3. Old recording. It’s my beach house house t is a wonderful free blowing, tune instrument. Far darker and ‘thick’ sound than the Schilkes. This I do a brass band!

Cheers

Andy
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, you'd like my Bach long model. It just sits in its case and never makes a mistake. Then I pick it up, start playing, and ruin everything.

Kent
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered why people kept mentioning brass band. Then I realized the OP did not specify what he was going to use the cornet for. His intent is trad jazz in a traditional lineup of instruments.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine.

Sorry for the seemingly flippant answer, but I do happen to be incredibly spoiled with my main instrument, a CORNETTE, designed by Dave Monette. Mine was the second ever built, started shortly after Ron Miles’s prototype, but with some differences and upgrades that came along with changes Monette was making in their design process. Dave and the folks in the shop have described the response and intonation characteristics of these instruments as ‘like playing the piano’ and, much like my piano playing, this instrument is a heck of a lot better playing than I’ll ever be on it, but it keeps me coming back to make more and better music over and over.

That said, I’ve had the good fortune to play the first-ever Monette cornet, which legend has it was completed just slightly too late for Wynton to use on the “Carnival” album, as well as another Chicago-era cornet that was for sale at Dillon Music, which - while silver plated aftermarket, and therefore missing and messing with Dave’s final adjustments - was the finest cornet I’d played in my life up until that point. The 900 Series, heavier model Bb and C cornets I’ve also played in passing, both at the shop and for a few toots in lessons with teachers who owned ones.

Now, anticipating hater backlash, these cornets ARE truly exceptional, but I also recognize they’re far from conventional. To these ends, the endorsement of the 900 series models by the likes of Niles Eldridge and James Klages should be taken seriously - issues of consistency of response and intonation of cornets (all models) with Monette’s design innovations are practically in a different world from other conventional designs. All this said, I’ve played a Bach 238 C cornet which was absolutely lovely, I owned a prototype Edwards Eb which was pretty and sweet and nothing like problem Ebs people dread, and I’ve also truly enjoyed playing some Schilke and Getzen models in Bb and C. Mouthpiece design makes a big difference in all of this, too, and looking back on a brutally-fun 3 hour+ second line style gig I once played on a Conn Director, my Prana B1-1FLR6 mouthpiece helped make all that music possible.

Happy practicing - music, not just brass playing,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: