• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB Doublers Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChuckK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: ACB Doublers Cornet Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this horn. Seems to be well made and Trent's reputation is pretty high. Price point is fantastic.
Currently I'm a comeback player and things are going well. I have an Olds Ambassador and it's working fine for me now, but if I can get with an ensemble, I'd like to take a step or two up the cornet ladder. I don't have the money for the obvious high status horns (Adams, Schilke etc). But I don't want to spend the $600 for an ACB cornet if it's only a small jump up from the Olds.

Any observations?
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: ACB Doublers Cornet Reply with quote

ChuckK wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this horn. Seems to be well made and Trent's reputation is pretty high. Price point is fantastic.
Currently I'm a comeback player and things are going well. I have an Olds Ambassador and it's working fine for me now, but if I can get with an ensemble, I'd like to take a step or two up the cornet ladder. I don't have the money for the obvious high status horns (Adams, Schilke etc). But I don't want to spend the $600 for an ACB cornet if it's only a small jump up from the Olds.

Any observations?

Not to turn this into a "Vintage versus New" deathmatch debate, but I will simply note that $600 gets one into any number of formerly top-of-the-line vintage cornets from Conn, Olds, King, etc. In fact Trent himself had a recent deep dive YouTube video on a number of classic cornets he has for sale for under $700. I got my Conn Connstellation, with a case and several mouthpieces (including some Mt. Vernon Bachs) for under $600. Just food for thought.

Here's Trent's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q2hKEft2ao&t=1823s
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Getzen 800 cornet Reply with quote

As a previous poster stated there are great deals on used professional cornets out there. If you are looking for a student cornet that plays like an intermediate, almost professional level. The Jupiter 520 M Shepherd's crook cornet is a excellent choice. Bought it for $175.00 total. Had one that was built in 2005,sold it due to having a professional cornet. Resale value on that cornet is low.
There are many used intermediate cornet available too. Getzen 490 cornet is a good choice too. The older models have a 1st slide trigger and 3rd slide adjustable rods.
Bought my Getzen 800 Eterna Shepherd's crook professional cornet for a total price of $611.00 dollars last year. It is in excellent shape, a few scratches. Changes I have made were new springs, trim kit and turquoise colored buttons. Trim kit and finger buttons were cosmetic. The springs were to loose for my tastes.
There are many excellent used professional cornets available.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: ACB Doublers Cornet Reply with quote

ChuckK wrote:

Any observations?

Chuck,

Thanks so much for posting about our Doubler's line. In addition to these horns (which are great affordable options) we have literally hundreds of other cornets in stock. Give us a call at 816-410-0826 and we will love to chat with you about finding you a great match in your budget!

Best regards,

Trent
https://www.austincustombrass.biz

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note - about 8 or 9 months ago I bought a great vintage Conn 80A from Trent for a VERY reasonable price. I've said it many times before, but Trent and his guys know what they're doing and will take care of you.

keith
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price range for the doubler cornet is $400-500, depending on the finish. I've got one, and it's great for my purposes, when I ocasionally need a cornet. I had an Ambassador - they're built like a tank, and are about as heavy. I let it go, and am very pleased with the ACB cornet. I don't see any need to get a different cornet.

You should take Trent up on his offer to talk!

Giz
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else owns one of these, specifically the large bore, dual trigger model?

Thoughts?[/u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: