• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Survey on musical gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicalGearSurvey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Survey on musical gear Reply with quote

Dear fellow musicians

In online boards, we musicians extensively discuss about instruments and gear, often with quite some passion. These discussions range from the suitability of certain instrument models for specific genres to the size of one’s instrument collection.

Research has not yet paid special attention to such discussions. This is quite surprising as there is a lot to be learned about musical and music-related practices, e.g. what motivates musicians to collect instruments, how do we use our gear to develop our musical identity and what criteria do we regard as important when acquiring a new instrument.

As musicians (guitarists, bassists and drummers) and musicologists, we aim to explore this interesting issue with an online survey. We need as many participants as possible. Being dependent on your assistance, we kindly ask you to fill in our survey. The instruments considered are guitars, bass guitars, drums, keyboards, saxophones and trumpets. The survey should take about 20 minutes and the responses are completely anonymous.

All data are used exclusively for academic (non-commercial) research in music. There is no funding involved. As musicians ourselves, we are interested to research this subject. By taking part in the study, you are supporting two academics in the early phases of their careers!

We have been given permission by the moderators to post our survey in this board. If you are interested in participating, please follow this link to visit the survey: https://www.soscisurvey.de/musicalgear/?r=12

Thank you very much for your support!

Best wishes from Germany,
Jan and Jonas
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you'll post your findings here in the forum as well, this looks like an interesting survey!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. Survey is long. I lost interest a short time into it.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed it at lunch, and it took 10-15 minutes. The researchers should definitely share their results on TH.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done; didn't take long.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
MusicalGearSurvey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody so far for participating. We will try to share our results, either in an academic open access publication or with an informal summary of the results.

We still need some more participants, so if you haven't participated yet, please think about it Thank you!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, up there are issues with data input for iOS devices. Can't put in larger numbers, like age over 9...
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Done, up there are issues with data input for iOS devices. Can't put in larger numbers, like age over 9...

Had no issues with my iPad.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished, I had no problem on my iPad but did figure out that you should just go ahead and put the 2 digits into the box even though it looked liked you could only put 1, I figured out it was taking the 2 digits, they just don't show up properly.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed taking the Survey and am most interested in reading the final report. Hopefully, TH will have a posting of the results in the future.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
MusicalGearSurvey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
More than 4 years ago, we received permission to advertise a survey for an academic study on ‘Gear Acquisition Syndrome’ (GAS). We would like to give back for all your help by granting you access to the findings of this study, which are part of a book on GAS published this year. The entire book can be downloaded for free via this link: https://unipress.hud.ac.uk/plugins/books/27

We know that time is scarce, and we all should spend more time practising. That is why we have compiled a compact overview of our research findings, which you can access here: https://doi.org/10.34696/61g5-zd65 (using the Access Dataset download button)

As part of our endeavour to make our research available for free, we are asked to evaluate what use it has for musicians like us. If you wish to help us with this, this thread could be a platform for us to discuss:
- Have we learned something new about GAS from our research?
- Has it changed the way we think or feel about GAS?
- Will we change your practice when it comes to dealing with gear?

Hopefully our findings will foster an interesting discussion about GAS and our use of musical equipment. We appreciate your interest in our research!

Best wishes,
Jan and Jonas
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was interesting! There were two parts I found helpful:
1. The data on trumpets and then the discussion of how trumpet acquirers differ from saxophone or other instrument buyers. I think the authors are mainly correct that part of this is that trumpet players are really collecting a variety of instruments (cornets, flugelhorns, different keyed instruments). I do think cost and size may play into this also. I've sometimes in the past compared trumpet to violin in cost and quality. For trumpet players there is a fun factor in trying different materials, bell size, vintage, etc., and they are not so expensive, whereas for something like violin you really want the single best instrument you can afford at any given time. I also think size is a factor; you can stack ten trumpets in a fairly small space. For trumpet see page 149ff.
2. In the conclusion, I thought the discussion of how music instrument collecting varied by instrument was interesting, and I also thought the finding that musical instrument collecting looks like many types of collecting was helpful. I think buying trumpets is fun, but other people like buying vintage toys or ceramic collectibles or pocket knives, etc.
Thank you for sharing this.
MusicalGearSurvey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
This was interesting! There were two parts I found helpful:
1. The data on trumpets and then the discussion of how trumpet acquirers differ from saxophone or other instrument buyers. I think the authors are mainly correct that part of this is that trumpet players are really collecting a variety of instruments (cornets, flugelhorns, different keyed instruments). I do think cost and size may play into this also. I've sometimes in the past compared trumpet to violin in cost and quality. For trumpet players there is a fun factor in trying different materials, bell size, vintage, etc., and they are not so expensive, whereas for something like violin you really want the single best instrument you can afford at any given time. I also think size is a factor; you can stack ten trumpets in a fairly small space. For trumpet see page 149ff.
2. In the conclusion, I thought the discussion of how music instrument collecting varied by instrument was interesting, and I also thought the finding that musical instrument collecting looks like many types of collecting was helpful. I think buying trumpets is fun, but other people like buying vintage toys or ceramic collectibles or pocket knives, etc.
Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for this! We are (unfortunately) no trumpet players so had to rely on interviews with trumpeters and the qualitative answers in our survey. Reading your reply suggests that we were not completely wrong - thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: