• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladsar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi!

I just found out that Flip Oakes shut down his website. I did order a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #3X Cornet some time ago, and it's a very good mouthpiece. But I need the cup diameter to be just a little bit smaller. So I thought I would order a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #7X Cornet mouthpiece. I do have a Curry 7BBC, but that's a bit on the bright side for me.

So, do anyone know if there is any chance ordring a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #7X Cornet mouthpiece, or do I have to place an order for a custom 7BBC mouthpiece?
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
Hi!

I just found out that Flip Oakes shut down his website. I did order a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #3X Cornet some time ago, and it's a very good mouthpiece. But I need the cup diameter to be just a little bit smaller. So I thought I would order a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #7X Cornet mouthpiece. I do have a Curry 7BBC, but that's a bit on the bright side for me.

So, do anyone know if there is any chance ordring a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #7X Cornet mouthpiece, or do I have to place an order for a custom 7BBC mouthpiece?

You should be able to order it from Flip. He provided instructions in the announcement of the web site closure: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156872&highlight=

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Mark Curry makes those mouthpieces for Flip, so he could probably make what you want if he’s not still contracted to Filp for the design. If he can’t legally do it for you, then I suppose you could still get one from Mark through Flip.
ladsar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

jharris2 wrote:
ladsar wrote:
Hi!

You should be able to order it from Flip. He provided instructions in the announcement of the web site closure: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156872&highlight=

Thanks!

I will try to send him a mail asking for a mouthpiece. If it's not possible to order from him I might contact Mark Curry as Dale Proctor suggested.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all my mouthpieces the Flip Oakes is the only one that flattens the top end of the range on my Prestige cornet sufficiently.
Its because it goes in the correct distance and it has a properly balanced backbone.
ts a pity they didn't get into wider circulation as they have the correct sound too.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
ladsar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do agree about your experience with FO cornet mouthpieces. I also play a Prestige cornet. My main mouthpiece when I'm playing classic BB stuff is a Denis Wick RW4. I finally found one in decent condition after searching for a couple of years. But in some situations I need a bit brighter sound without sounding like a trumpet. And I think that a Flip Oakes Extreme Wild Thing #7X cornet mouthpiece will be perfect for the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: