• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When is it time to move on from one exercise to another?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
The answer depends on the player’s ability and patience. Sometimes Claude Gordon would add additional models and variations when he knew the exercise hadn’t accomplished what he wanted yet. Other times he would keep students on the same exact set of exercises for months until it caused the changes he wanted. As an example, I had probably done the Colin Advanced Lip Flexibility book for 3 years with 3 separate times of 4 months each time. But, later he kept me on 3, 5, 9, 14 for 6-9 months. I was starting to get annoyed with him asking when we could change it. He kept stringing me along longer. Then, I noticed that in 9 my high D literally felt no different than a low C with the effort and how relaxed I was. I asked him about some things I had noticed and then I was in love with those exercises again and he changed to something new to learn and adapt to.

Here’s something I wrote for the preface of an upcoming book that might prod some more thoughts on this topic.
https://www.purtle.com/what-is-systematic-practice

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for posting.

This is one of the benefits of having an experienced teacher (and of course, you are a very experienced teacher). The teacher has been there. He can assess where a student is and he knows where the student needs to go. He can guide a student across a hurdle that the student doesn't even perceive.

By the way, I am one of your former students, the old, baldheaded, knucklehead that used to take lessons from the deck in my back yard while wearing headphones. You gave me my first lesson in person at your new house. You were a tremendous help. If I can get my calendar under control, I'd like to resume lessons again.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
rbtrumpet86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on this are that it will completely depend on the goal you have for the exercise. IMO, playing through the whole Arban book is less valuable than picking exercises to work on skills you need to develop. Then, the answer to "When do I move on?" becomes "Have I gotten as much value out of this exercise in service of my goal as I can?". If no, continue digging. If yes, find a slightly more difficult exercise (or add difficult variations to the current exercise) to keep climbing in skill development.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful!

Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: