• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shih Tzu owners?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funknfritter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Shih Tzu owners? Reply with quote

I am wondering if there are any Shih Tzu owners on here and if these dogs are generally skittish around brass instruments or have a howling reaction or just chill out. I am contemplating adopting one, and this is probably my biggest concern taking the dog. I am not near her (she will be coming from Costa Rica) so i cannot test her reaction for myself. I wouldn't want to make her miserable and terrified just doing my daily routine.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 3 Shih Tzu dogs over the last 20 years. None of them have had a problem with my practicing nearby. The youngest one is, at the very least, in the same room where I am practicing or doing anything else for that matter, and often appears to be sleeping near my stand. I practice everyday since retiring from my career in 2014. They are a very adaptable breed from my experience.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Funknfritter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good to hear. I’ve made alternate arrangements for the dog in case she doesn’t cope well, but I am encouraged to hear this. Thank you.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in everything, especially where living creatures are concerned, patience is always a major consideration! Keep it light and fun for both of you! Rewards are really good things in most cases! Having treats nearby after practice is always a plus, maybe for both of you!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Funknfritter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good suggestion on the treats, thank you.
ttc505

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post on TH. I've been lurking here for five years or so. But I think that dogs and trumpets go back a long, long way--early tribal hunting. I've been playing for about fifty one years, and have always had dogs. Not Shih-Tzus, but I don't think Shih-Tzus are all that different from other dogs (maybe smarter than some). My Great Danes (I've had three, two males and one female, at different times) would be agitated by the trumpet, and simply leave the room. However, when my wife played her piano, the Dane's would lay down under it (it's a Grand). So it wasn't music, it was my playing (LOL), or the sound of the trumpet. My Ridgeback mixes (rescues) would sing along for a while. They particularly love it when one of the bands I play with practices at my house--they quiet down after the first tune, but would literally lean on the trombone player whenever he soloed (it was a Ska/Reggae unit). So again, it's something about the trumpet, or their interpretation of my mood. I think I finally understand the dynamic now that I have another Ridgeback rescue, and spend 24/7 with him (I am now retired). He initially thought I was "angry/hungry" or ready to go hunting when I played and would sing/sympathize for the first few etudes/tunes. He was trying to assure me I shouldn't feel lonely. I taught him that I wasn't angry with him (or lonely) by playing loud and high whilst petting him. Interestingly, nowadays when there is undue noise in the neighborhood (fireworks, coyotes, sirens) he now wants me to go to the practice room and play trumpet--I think he believes I'm yelling at the eternal noise agents. He will join in briefly. Otherwise, he finds comfort in my practicing, encourages me to play (nudges me to the room at the appointed hours) and simply chews away while I practice. Dogs, trumpets and hunting are primordial...

BTW I've had a couple of other rescues (Lab/Bloodhound mix, a Staffordshire Terrier). The trumpet means something to them, too....just let them know it's not them your calling. And my Ridgeback mix gets along fine with our friend's two Shih-Tzus.

Tim Clark
Albuquerque
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: