• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dear members!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Dear members! Reply with quote

I have an unusual question! Me and my frind Thomas want to make a little performance for our wifes. We want to play Winter Wonderland by Chris Botti. So I play bass and Thomas will play Trumpet. I'm not good with internet but I've found this score (https://musescore.com/user/13116741/scores/4855482). And I'm wondering if it is correct for trumpet or maybe you know where I can find the correct one! Thank you very much!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that part is marked Bb trumpet but it's really for C trumpet. So Thomas would need to either transpose up a step (or rewrite it) or play it on a C trumpet. I'm not real familiar with musescore, maybe the transposition can be done easily?

The two trumpet parts could both be played by one musician until the very end, plus one note which overlaps in measure 32. Not a big problem, he'll just have to pick the best note, probably the higher one.

Noting the above issues, I'd say the score is perfectly usable. I have not compared it to the Botti version to know if it's anything alike, but it's certainly playable by trumpet & bass.

Eric
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Very much Ayryq! Thank you. Thomas have seen your message and understood everything.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
So that part is marked Bb trumpet but it's really for C trumpet. So Thomas would need to either transpose up a step (or rewrite it) or play it on a C trumpet. I'm not real familiar with musescore, maybe the transposition can be done easily?

You're probably looking at a score, with all of the parts written in the concert key. The Bb trumpet part is probably for Bb trumpet, not C trumpet.

That being said, if you download it, and load it into MuseScore, you can easily transpose it to other keys or make other edits. MuseScore is free, and is a great music notation tool.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The score link you provided has the trumpet parts labeled as “Bb trumpet” which is incorrect. You can not only look but listen to the playback and you will hear the first trumpet note sounding F and is written F. That means the part is written in C. The parts are incorrectly labeled.

Another way to notice this mislabeling is the key signature of the bass line, written in C. If the key signature between the bass part and trumpet part is the same, both are written in the same key, C in this case.

You can play this with your friend using a C trumpet, and there will be no issues other than the arrangement itself. The other way; Bb trumpet player must play a step up (1st note would be played G) OR guitar player must play a step down in order to match keys.
Hope you and your families enjoy the small concert!
OldHorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing incorrect about the score. It simply is displayed in concert pitch. Here's a link to MuseScore where instrument transposition is discussed.

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/handbook-musescore-1/notation/transposition

If you want to be technically correct, the bass part is written an octave higher than it sounds. But following notation standards, when you have a concert pitch score, the octave transposition is notated at the written pitch, not the sounding pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: