• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a mouthpiece, for heavens sake.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Maybe I was wrong to assume that most people could spare a hundred and fifty or so dollars essentially in escrow while awaiting delivery of their Lotus mouthpieces, without being precluded from trying other mouthpiece choices in the meantime.

I never suggested waiting with baited breath for a Lotus mouthpiece and giving up "exploring other excellent options and wasting valuable time". I mean, can't a player do both?

I would not be wasting my own time going back and forth with other posters if I did not think my new Lotus mouthpiece was truly special. It is not a magic mouthpiece, but it has sure made a noticable difference in my playing after a few days of acclimation.

It is truly something different in feel and response compared to any of the myriad mouthpieces I have tried and played in the past. It is not just like trying another mouthpiece...

Maybe I am wasting my time trying to be altruistic and wanting other players to experience what I have, but I have never been this enthusiastic about a mouthpiece before.

Again, unless you really need the money, why not continue to be patient while in the meantime exploring other equipment options?

And don't forget, you can return your Lotus mouthpiece if you don't like it.

Steve

Or maybe you just don't understand that some people simply want a timely conclusion to an order. One that doesn't come with a bunch of excuses and silly 'free gifts' to keep you hangin' in there - so to speak. Man, it's not about the money, it's not about your 'altruism', it's about ****ty business practice.
The mpc may well be so good it makes my morning coffee for me, but maybe some people don't want their money to encourage any company that hasn't got its act together on a basic commercial level. It's how companies continue to develop bad business practice. It's quite simple really.
And some people may not care in the slightest if they're 'missing out'. Some are doin' just fine.
WigglePig

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: My 2p... Reply with quote

Morning all,

I ordered a 2L in bronze back in mid-January and it finally arrived (UK) about a month ago.

This mouthpiece is superb, a nice dark sound, smooth with enough top edge when I want it. I find it easier to play in tune, high, than I did before. In comparison to the 3XL plus I bought while I was waiting I find it a little more forgiving and compliant.

In summary, I like it and it sounds extremely good, with just the sound I was looking for.

Piggly
lotherro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, WigglePig. Appreciate the feedback.
Lotus 1L Nickel-Silver 2.0
Lotus 1XL+ Brass 1.0
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mouthpiece is crazy (1L, brass). I played it recently on an outdoor wedding, lightly mic'd, and the sound was just exploding out even during extremely soft playing. I was almost thinking it was too much. Normally with that group I'm always pushing but with this crazy mouthpiece I had to rein it way in. Today I did some practicing outdoors and tried a few different mouthpieces for comparison of similar size and the Lotus was basically much much louder, more responsive, and full of overtones. Again, it's almost too much to handle. It's like a V8 in a honda civic.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone dare to compare the brass vs. the bronze vs. the nickel silver pieces?

Anyone willing to share experiences with the S cup?

A nickel S could be a crazy lead piece but I haven’t had the chance to test.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

I have a 3L in brass and bronze. The brass is a little more conventional in tone, up front sound, easy to put some edge on. The bronze is more subtle, warmer. You can put some edge on it as well, it just takes a tad more effort. I'll likely use the bronze when I play at church, and the brass for most everything else.

I have a nickel silver, but it's a 3M2 so it's a little harder to do a direct comparison.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am particularly interested in the nickel silver for lead and loud work.
1977 Conn 6B
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

I have the 7M nickel and the 7L standard. The nickel one has strong definition and a big sound but it doesn't necessarily come across as too aggressive for all around use.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As life sometimes has it: I could just get a Lotus 3S in nickel silver (new model made in Italy) from eBay. It arrived yesterday and I am very happy with it. It slots great, has a big and brilliant sound (it even came with the second DHC in my life ) and the articulations are MUCH better than what I used to get with a series of different B4 and B6 type Monette pieces.

Plus it also work for soft playing and low register playing, even my pedal tones are just splendid.

Will need to explore more, but I think I have a winner here.

The contrast to AR Resonance pieces is quite interesting - for me they are equally perfect to play but have a different sound quality: AR is more, let’s say, elegant, while Lotus is more “in your face”, even on the same trumpet. So they really are nicely complementary and I’ll keep both.
1977 Conn 6B
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

The contrast to AR Resonance pieces is quite interesting - for me they are equally perfect to play but have a different sound quality: AR is more, let’s say, elegant, while Lotus is more “in your face”, even on the same trumpet. So they really are nicely complementary and I’ll keep both.
Yeah, they're quite different. Of course each maker has a lot of options so these are very broad generalizations, but in general to me Lotus is similar to Monette Prana pieces (huge sound, projection, lots of harmonics, open) and AR has a little more reigned-in and focused sound, more conventional, but more open than a typical long shank mouthpiece.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotus got their act together delivery wise yet?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SMrtn: I can’t say, the one I bought was a used piece, just tested and then put up on eBay.
1977 Conn 6B
stomvi2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a mouthpiece in nickel silver July 5th, ship notification came yesterday - August 17. Estimated arrival by 23rd.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: lotus Reply with quote

There have been some 'heavy' players using Lotus mouthpieces. Marcus Printup and Nicholas Payton come to mind.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: lotus Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
There have been some 'heavy' players using Lotus mouthpieces. Marcus Printup and Nicholas Payton come to mind.

Yep, and those guys sound as good as they ever have. Does anyone question whether these are trumpet mouthpieces? They'd sound as good on a Bach 7C.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: mpc Reply with quote

They probably would sound good on just about anything, but they're not going to change equipment unless they really thought it improved their playing.

Brent S
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Payton also plays on a Bach Strad... Any haters?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: lotus Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Brent wrote:

Yep, and those guys sound as good as they ever have. Does anyone question whether these are trumpet mouthpieces? They'd sound as good on a Bach 7C.
There's a great livestream of Nicholas Payton joining the series Live From Emmet's Place that just came out. If you haven't been following Emmet Cohen's weekly live stream on youtube it is one of the best things I've found online in the past few months for sure, and I recommend everyone listening to as many of them as possible. They are all available on Emmet Cohen's channel and there is a whole lot of music in each one.
I recommend listening with good headphones, Payton is one of those players that you really need to hear the full width of his tone to really appreciate it. I've heard him play live and his sound filling the room is like a baptism. If you listen on tiny speakers it's totally missing out.
He sounds really good and like himself always but I don't think a 7C would be quite as robust on those roaring high Fs (not trying to get in a big mouthpiece debate) and there's a reason he switched to Lotus.
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Lotus 3M a couple weeks ago. I guess it was about a two month wait but now that it has arrived I couldn't be happier in both playability and in being an absolutely stunning mouthpiece to look at. Simply gorgeous . The rim feels great against the lips. I am pleased
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: