• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

young Doc Severinsen's high range

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Listen to the video with Doc, Bobby S, and A. Visutti. No doubt who the lead players were in that video. Doc leads the band up to a certain range I think A, then his sound changes, Bobby S is obviously a lead player who has great ride skills and holds his lead sound higher than Docs, but he’s not as cutting as Doc to the point where Doc ranges out. Vis is technically amazing but never achieves the free cut the others do. To me both Bobby and Doc could make anyone’s ~top 50 or 100 lead players. Who you would rather have would depend on the book, and whether you need improv. To me Doc has that balls out style Up to a register line (about 5) that makes a good lead sound.
Just cutting hairs, I’d b happy to play an e like any of them.
Rod

I was at that concert. It was with the American Band College, in Medford, OR at the Craterian Theater. I had never heard Doc or Bobby play live before. I had heard Allen once before. Bobby came out first, struggling to walk with a cane and sat down on the stool. His first song was on the flugel and he struggled a bit with accuracy when he started. Alan's first solo was clean and precise like he always is. Doc sounded okay on his first solo.

At this point I was a little disappointed, thinking I was seeing these legends of trumpet way past their prime. Then they played Sing, Sing, Sing.

Allen was consistent and clean. Doc became the Doc or old with his huge sound and expressive playing. Allen bowed to him when that happened. The recording does not pick up on that very well. Bobby showed that he was an amazing jazz soloist and he had the biggest upper range of the three. Doc had the biggest sound up to around an F or G. Allen was very consistent and clean. I was inspired at the end and glad I went.

BTW the young band director playing first trumpet in the band had a huge High G, and I complimented him on the way out.

Here is Sing, Sing, Sing. You can also find the whole concert on Youtube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUFe4bG1hc
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Listen to the video with Doc, Bobby S, and A. Visutti. No doubt who the lead players were in that video. Doc leads the band up to a certain range I think A, then his sound changes, Bobby S is obviously a lead player who has great ride skills and holds his lead sound higher than Docs, but he’s not as cutting as Doc to the point where Doc ranges out.

I was at that concert. It was with the American Band College, in Medford, OR at the Craterian Theater. I had never heard Doc or Bobby play live before.

I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten to hear Doc live during his Tonight Show days. However amazing he sounded on recordings, they didn't truly capture his in-person live sound.

Bobby and Allen are fantastic players and but I can't envision either of them - or anyone else for that matter - playing some of the things Doc could play either technically or with the sound Doc had. I'm convinced he was working with a different set of tools than everyone else.

A couple of examples of many:

Link

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: