• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Listening to develop your own sound concept

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Listening to develop your own sound concept Reply with quote

Hello folks--

There's many reasons to listen to recordings. Certainly one is to develop one's own personal sound concept. So whose sound do you strive, at least in your head, to hear and imitate when you are playing? Or who out there has "the best" sound to you?

In my case, I'm from a younger generation that really does not care for vibrato at all. So for me, there are fantastic pro trumpet players of the past that I just do not care to listen to because the vibrato is just too much or too heavy for me, but I still listen to some of them to learn their melodic and solo ideas, or perhaps they were fantastic on flugel…I'm not going to call out any of them and 'dis them. Also recording techniques of today seem to be much farther advanced than "back then".

I most enjoy the commercial players because they always come across as so clean and controlled and in the center of the note. I just like clean/maybe it's because that is what my teachers emphasized--but not so clean as to become boring.

So my personal favorite of all time would be Wayne Bergeron, but I also listen to Bobby Shew, Jon Faddis, Eric Miyashiro, and Arturo Sandoval...I am not particularly a classical music fan, but I love Arturo's recording of the Arutunian, because nobody plays it remotely like he does. It's like he's at a bull fight. Cajones!

So who do you like? Whose sound do you strive to emulate (if one can even get close to another player's unique sound)?

John
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Listening to your own sound Reply with quote

Hello all,
Being mostly a section player in a big band and a player in a concert band, brass band and quintet, I strive for a well centered, full sound, that can blend and be intune. At the start of the pandemic, I listened to Hakan, but quickly found I enjoyed Jim Wilts sound. His consistency of concept readily translated to the sound he got on various trumpets of other keys. I just identified more with his approach and sound.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the piece, setting, genre, etc, it ranges everywhere between:

-Chet Baker for flugel like soft ballad playing
-Bud Herseth or Pacho Flores for classical
-Roger Ingram and Wayne Bergeron for lead
-Freddie Hubbard, Miles and Till Bronner for jazz soloing
-etc. depending what I’m going for.

I find it pretty easily to imitate the sound of others at will, but if there was one person who I try to emulate all the time:

Wynton Marsalis (both his jazz and classical playing and sound).
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to be 'from a younger generation that really does not care for vibrato at all' to dislike vibrato, whether it's trumpet or any other instrument. I think it sounds reasonably crap too.

That aside, I don't listen to many of the old guard players. I dig Evan Sherman, Joe Magnarelli, some Carlos Abadie. Not a hint of vibrato among any of them either. Solid players. Joe Magnarelli is probably my current fave horn player, but I have eclectic tastes, and if it's not jazz, then it's Tuareg music from West Africa, all the way to Dark Wave, Lo-Fi Hip Hop, Dub. A lot of good music out there and it's not confined to one genre or another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: