• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music glasses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Thank you. Let's just hope that it works in practice. I pick up my new music glasses on Wednesday.

Please let me know how it goes. I may steal your idea.

Hi cgaiii

I definitely will do. I ideally wanted to keep with my full near zone, keep it as low as it was, and raise the fitting height by lengthening the progressive corridor, but this was not possible, as I already had the longest possible progressive corridor, and the dispensing optician, who very clearly knows his stuff, thinks that I would still have got a very limited depth intermediate zone with my idea, and says that I will get a greater depth of intermediate in the design which I've instead gone for.

Let's hope that it will work. I will definitely let you know, anyhow.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

before progressive lenses I remembered my ex chief of 50 years ago had a pair of tri focal glasses made for him, 3 discrete segments, near, intermediate and distance focus about 1/3 height each.

This may be a solution for you, the proportion of each can be varied to suit I had forgotten about these, I must talk to my man about a pair.

Regards, Stuart.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumac wrote:
Hi Lou,

before progressive lenses I remembered my ex chief of 50 years ago had a pair of tri focal glasses made for him, 3 discrete segments, near, intermediate and distance focus about 1/3 height each.

This may be a solution for you, the proportion of each can be varied to suit I had forgotten about these, I must talk to my man about a pair.

Regards, Stuart.

Hi stumac

Thank you very much. Definitely something to think about.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few years ago I played with a "mature" player (I'm still about 10 years younger than he was then, for the record) who had a pair of music-specific trifocals. The bottom third was the largest diopter for close work -- oiling his valves. The middle third was the medium diopter -- for reading music. The top third was the distance prescription -- for seeing the bandleader.

stumac wrote:
Hi Lou,

Regards, Stuart.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nieuwguyski

Sounds a good idea in theory and obviously worked for this player, but my understanding is that you have to put the top (distance) segment up high enough so that the line does not end up over the sheet of music, leading to two different focuses and image sizes. If the line ends up level with the top of the stand for example (leading to requiring a constant stand height in relation to chair height, so the line always ends up at the top of the stand), this is ok for watching the stick with peripheral vision whilst looking at the sheet music through the middle intermediate segment, but you would have to lower your head to actually focus on the conductor.

I've thought about doing this as a bifocal (without the near segment at the bottom), and have done some experimenting with drawing a line on an old pair of glasses with a pen that rubs off.

I found that the line would have to be at the top of my iris, to end up level with the top of my music stand. Since the line would therefore be above my pupil, I couldn't actually look through the top segment without lowering my chin, and could only use it for peripheral vision above the stand.

If I lower the line to nearer my pupil, it just ends up over the music, and would cause an image jump with two different sizes and focuses above and below the line.

The new music glasses I've gone for, and appear to be working ok so far, although I haven't given them much of a try yet, as I only picked them up yesterday, are progressives, so there is no line or image jump, allowing the distance part to be lower down than would be possible with a trifocal. Basically they are fitted a little higher than is normal with a progressive, so that I have to lower my head a fraction to get my full distance prescription, and I am using the intermediate corridor from my head being straight. They also have a short progressive corridor and a reduced near add, so are almost a pair of blended bifocals with my distance prescription at the top and music add at the bottom.

I'll update this thread when I've tried them a bit more.

Thanks very much again everyone.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've done a lot of playing today, and my new music glasses have turned out to be really good. They require a very small amount of head movement, as I go across a large page of music, but the top and bottom of music are in focus the whole time, and my overall vision is as good as with my +0.75 single vision music glasses.

In case anyone is interested, my full reading add is +1.75. My progressives are from Specsavers and are their top tier tailor made design with the widest corridor. They are available in three corridor lengths, A, B and C, with C being the longest. My everyday pair are corridor length C with a lower than average fitting height, further lowering the near zone, so that I can lift my chin without entering the near zone.

My new music pair are corridor length A with a fraction higher than average fitting height, allowing a quick transition into the intermediate zone. Once in the intermediate zone, since they also have a reduced add of +1.00, the amount they need to transition is reduced, allowing them to stay in the intermediate zone for longer, and because +1.00 is only +0.25 over my music add, they effectively end up with a large area of the lens being my music prescription.

I just thought I'd post the details, in case anyone else thinks that this would work for them.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I am glad that you got a good solution.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Hi Lou,
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I am glad that you got a good solution.

Hi cgaiii

You are very welcome, and thank you very much.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, am I thankful to have found this thread (and for it to be recent!)

My high school is hosting an alumni band marching night at a football game next month. I started acquiring a standard lyre, flip folder, etc and the school has already sent the music so I can print it out and get it into the folders.

Uh oh, progressive bifocals. Since this is a "one off" event, I am not going to pursue the detail with an optician like Lou did (but her experience and all of your feedback made fascinating reading!) What I discovered is that I have to tilt my head back ever so slightly to utilize the bottom of my bifocals (makes sense, close in focus) but of course that messes up my embouchure.

I also picked up a bell clip-on flip folder and that works "ok" but with my F Besson International not my beater cornet. Really don't want to take my nice horn into a marching/football stands environment.

Might just go to holding the flip folder in my left hand at the appropriate distance/angle to make things readable. If I purchased one of those flute player arm band lyres, would you all kick me off the board?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WxJeff

I'm glad you found my experiences interesting and useful. I was of course talking about music glasses for around a 1 metre distance.

With a lyre, since I only use it once a year, I personally clip on a pair of clip on flip up readers over the top of my progressives, which basically turn the top distance portion into my reading prescription. Works great, although looks a little funky, with the advantage that I can flip them up when needed.

i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088GS8KWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: