• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roll out #4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Roll out #4 Reply with quote

I have been playing this exercise using the roll out embouchure all the way as high as I can go, which is up to the G but a really crappy sound. I noticed that in the notes it says to maintain the proper double pedal sound and feel throughout the exercise. On the next page it says to always get at least a rolled in air hiss sound on the top note.

So my question is should I be allowing my lips to gradually roll in as I ascend and reach a rolled in embouchure by the time I get to the top?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The degree a player roll in as he or she ascends is a variable. And the movements themselves can be very subtle when getting above the staff.

I could probably have been more "purposefully vague" when I used the term "rolled-in air hiss" on exercise 4. The "air hiss" is the important part. The general idea is that the lips must stay together. Most players experience this as a slight rolling in. But again, the actual experience is subjective.

Most players think an airball is a bad thing. But it is often an indicator that you are moving in the right direction. In my experience, in using the BE process, the airball always eventually turns into a note.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that helps. I've been doing it right until a couple of days ago when I started going all the way up rolled out.
FatSebastian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Most players think an airball is a bad thing. But it is often an indicator that you are moving in the right direction...

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone clarify what is precisely meant by an "airball"? Is that when your top lip fails to vibrate against the bottom lip and thus no tone is produced by the passing air? Or does it imply something more?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When going for a high note (typically near the top of your range) there are a number of possible outcomes. Some of the most common are:

1. You get the note.

2. You get a note, but it is a partial too low. For example, you want a high C, but get the Bb just below it instead.

3. You get an air sound. Sometimes you can hear the correct pitch faintly trying to emerge, but the lips are not vibrating fully.

The third one is an airball.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: