• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The greatest of them all!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles never titled anything “the birth of the cool”. That is what somebody called an album of recording that miles did with the large ensemble in about 1949. Those were singles.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I want to add that another point is that the way I see it, Miles Davis didn't want to be a trumpetplayer like the kind of player the majority (?) on this forum seem to want to be. Certainly not.

I've read that Miles wanted to be a flashy player like Dizzy but just wasn't born with the tools so he developed a style that was accessible to him within his limitations.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t believe everything you read.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crouch was a hypocrite, a failed avante garde drummer who. . lambast any . . . who tried to push the music past 1945."

Is this consistent within itself?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
delano wrote:
I want to add that another point is that the way I see it, Miles Davis didn't want to be a trumpetplayer like the kind of player the majority (?) on this forum seem to want to be. Certainly not.

I've read that Miles wanted to be a flashy player like Dizzy but just wasn't born with the tools so he developed a style that was accessible to him within his limitations.

I read (it might have been Miles in his autobio or someone else....can't remember) that if you listen closely to those old sides with Bird, you realize that Miles plays like Diz, but that he realized he couldn't play as high, so it's medium register Diz.....(I've obviously paraphrased....)

keith
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I don't get the people who are bagging on Miles's technical ability. He was the top of the top. He was admitted to Julliard. The story is that he his rhythm was so good he leave the room and come back and still be on beat.

He was admitted to Juilliard which means someone saw potential but we'll never know how he would have done if he'd stayed. I have no idea what kind of politics were in play - was Juilliard a bastion of progressive thinking where they were color blind when the rest of the world generally wasn't? Or was it unusual for a black student to be admitted?

I've asked in various forums if anyone has heard a recording of young Miles playing the kind of literature that would have fit in at Juilliard, to date I've never heard from anyone who knows of the existence of anything like that.

Was he even there long enough to do a jury or recital? Are there accounts of what his private lessons were like, what his instructors thought of him?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: the greatest of them all Reply with quote

At some point musicians like Miles become just like the "Men in Black" where they are above everyone, over everyone and beyond everyone. He had a style which, to me, was his alone. I am not sure I believe in "G.O.A.T s" as it limits things. Athletically, musically, anything. I just didn't get Miles when I was younger but my younger brother always loved him and he kept sending me cassettes and then CDs. A light came on for me about 15 years ago. I am glad my brother stayed after me, LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: