• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Volume

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sounds better? 1 trumpet or 1 violin?
Are you kidding? Who wants to hear violins?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trumpets RULE!
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Volume Reply with quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/m6wwj/how_does_sound_volume_in_groups_work_for_example/c2yn02h/

I saw this thread on Reddit. It is archived but I thought that I would comment here.

The poster says that that difference in volume between 100 and 300 violins would be indiscernible but I think that he has not considered intonation. Maybe it's true if they are all playing the same note perfectly in tune with no vibrato but if they weren't it seems that the clashing overtones would be massive. I don't know if the volume would be that much more but I think that the sound would certainly stand out more.

If they were all playing chords in tune the difference tones should be really loud but sound good.

Of course it isn't ever going to happen. A whole violin section playing perfectly in tune?

I suppose that it depends on what your definition of the word "perfectly" is.

A roid rambling. I am sitting here with a mild case of shingles and am feelng really good at the moment.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voicing. You can get half the number of violins to sound twice as big with proper (or bland) voicing.

I've never been the kind of guy who delved into how to build a watch when simply asked the time, and I won't start now, but, succinctly, voicing has a lot to do with it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Volume Reply with quote

OK, is this a trick question, or what? A government investigation? It's biblical for it says, "at the last trump." That was always good enough for me, Plus, when I started playing Al Hirt, Doc Severinsen and the other guys in big bands looked like they would do OK with the girls. By the time I was say, 12 that made a difference to me, LOL.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Volume Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/m6wwj/how_does_sound_volume_in_groups_work_for_example/c2yn02h/

I saw this thread on Reddit. It is archived but I thought that I would comment here.

The poster says that that difference in volume between 100 and 300 violins would be indiscernible but I think that he has not considered intonation. Maybe it's true if they are all playing the same note perfectly in tune with no vibrato but if they weren't it seems that the clashing overtones would be massive. I don't know if the volume would be that much more but I think that the sound would certainly stand out more.

If they were all playing chords in tune the difference tones should be really loud but sound good.

Of course it isn't ever going to happen. A whole violin section playing perfectly in tune?

I suppose that it depends on what your definition of the word "perfectly" is.

A roid rambling. I am sitting here with a mild case of shingles and am feelng really good at the moment.

Fiddling around ehh? Sitting just in front of a trumpet or just in front of a fiddle/violin I would guess that the trumpet sounds more in decibels measured say in front of my nose.
During my university years I played (and long after) in a studentsĀ“band. At one time we performed a tune at our annual Christmas concert, a Swedish tune "Clarinet-polka". A very driven skilful older student, played the very tricky solo lots of 16teenth note runs in an up-tempo. But - every single member of the band who was able to bring a clarinet was told to do so! So when the polka was under way there were about 5 passages where 30 clarinets played a single note, a G if memory serves me correctly. The result was overwhelming - like 100 squealing timing belts. Disgusting in one word.
So I tend to give credit to the intonation hypothesis. So many out of tune tones might hurt any brain, being too much to digest. Possibly traumatic. Makes me shudder 45 years later. Arrghh!
Oh I forgot to mention: I was one of the clarinet players. IĀ“m still the owner.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: